Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #16
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
>> If you books are from the Sony store you are pretty much out of luck. Not gonna happen.

Hold on there. I bought those books from the Sony Store for a not inconsiderable chunk of change. I haven't read all of them yet.

Why can't I just copy the files I have?

Doesn't Kindle just convert them for me. I read something about sending them the files for 10 cents.

Thanks.

David
Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM! Just like, until recently, music you bought from iTunes for your iPod wouldn't work on a Zune, books you buy from the Sony store for your Reader won't work on a Kindle - and vice versa.

As other folks in this thread have already explained, nothing in this nascent world of digital content is designed to make things easy for the consumer.

Last edited by ahintz; 03-05-2009 at 06:50 PM.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Wink FBI, DRM and other Gods...

This is all quite mad.

Imagine that I had to go to a gas station with a big Sony sign and agree to a contract that would have my gas encrypted with my signature before I visited the special "square" tire store that provided my new rubber.

This is the worst kind of horse poop madness and if it is as you are all saying then I'm beginning, vaguely, to see why the Dow is heading towards 6,000.

I'm off to decrypt some coffee before adding my cream.

Can I still buy my underwear from the Gap before washing it in my Kenmore dryer or is the FBI worried about that too! Probably better to just buy new undies and throw away the old pairs.

Mumble, mumble.

David
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
On the bright side, having an iPhone, you can now buy books at Amazon for it, and (as long as they're .azw and not .azw1/.tpz) you can decrypt them and read them on your Sony (previous legality disclaimers still apply).
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Don't have a God. Don't get the FBI reference.

David
The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) makes reverse engineering DRM, creating tools to remove DRM, distributing tools to remove DRM and removing DRM a criminal offense.

This is a federal law so it would fall under the jurisdiction of the federal governments police force, which is the FBI.

BOb

BTW: Yes, many [all?] of us hate it and you will find dozens of threads here about it.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
This is all quite mad. Imagine that I had to go to a gas station with a big Sony sign and agree to a contract that would have my gas encrypted with my signature before I visited the special "square" tire store that provided my new rubber.
I think a better analogy is if you went out and bought and electric car and then got mad at the gas stations because their gasoline didn't power your car. It's the same thing with the ebooks -- some ebooks only work with some readers.

It's certainly an issue we all struggle with though. I would hope that with time things will become a little more standardized, but only time will tell.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
why not keep them both.....Its great having both. When the Kindle breaks down and you have to send it in you can read on the Sony
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote