Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Best one for Manga? Sony 600 or Nook?

So I was all set to go and get a nook then I see this video which makes me question the nook, its not the speed that bothered me so much its that it seems stretched out compared to the Sony(The 600 is the same with touch right?)

http://vimeo.com/8258714

The blacks also seem deeper on the Sony(which makes no sense because the sony is 8 bit grayscale and the nook is 16), also I have no clue is 6'' big enough for manga, I heard mixed opinons, some say it looks great others say text is to small. Can't exactly tell from a video sadly...

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-05-2010 at 09:32 PM.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I read manga on my Sony PRS-505 and find that 6 inches is not a bad size at all. 8 would probably be better, but 6 is really o.k. (for me. For some it might not be.)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
So I was all set to go and get a nook then I see this video which makes me question the nook, its not the speed that bothered me so much its that it seems stretched out compared to the Sony(The 600 is the same with touch right?)

The blacks also seem deeper on the Sony, also I have no clue is 6'' big enough for manga, I heard mixed opinons, some say it looks great others say text is to small.
The 600 is not the same as the 505. The 600 has poor contrast and terrible glare on the screen.

That video that you linked to shows the nook with older firmware. It is now quite speedy and responsive. I'm not sure what you mean by stretched out, since the screen dimensions and aspect ratio is the same as all of the other 6" ereaders.

Also, I can assure you that the contrast, text sharpness, and black levels of the nook are the best of the current generation ereaders. However, the new Kindle 3 and the new Kindle DX use the new pearl screens, and now they are the best.

I'm not sure how great 6" is for manga. It will probably depend on how you convert/format the files.

I would avoid the Sony models, and either get a nook or the new Kindle 3 (not out yet though).
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by stretched out, since the screen dimensions and aspect ratio is the same as all of the other 6" ereaders.

Well the video I posted there, it seems stretched out to me, you don't see it? Maybe I am Juts being picky...idk.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
What about the Sony PRS-900? The screen is better and bigger than the 600.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

That ones out of my budget...Really trying to keep it around 150, would be nice though.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
I read mangas on my nook, put all my mangas in zip, rename it to cbz, convert it with calibre to nook and it runs good, page turn speed no problem at all, at least I don't found it to be a problem, mine is version 1.4...no problem with contrast,and you can always convert your mangas to nook output preset on calibre, I seldom do this and there's no problem with the screen size, 6" screen is ok, unless you have bad eyes.
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

So there is no stretching when compared to how it looks before you covert it on the computer? Thats good to know about the contrast...I did like the nook when I used it in the store.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Thanks for the help, I decided to go with the nook and a 16gb MicroSd card, I should have it soon enough.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Do a search on You Tube for Kindle DXG Manga. There are videos of people showing off how great the Manga looks on the Pearl screen. This is the screen that will be on the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

I know it looks amazing but...it cost so much!! I am really hoping that they look good on this things, does anyone else have any opinions on manga and 6" readers...because I was looking at these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yCh...eature=related

Which seems ok but then on the kindle it looked like it was only using like 70-80 percent of its screen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeLNw...eature=related

Nook seems to be more around the sony style though....
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
I know it looks amazing but...it cost so much!! I am really hoping that they look good on this things, does anyone else have any opinions on manga and 6" readers...because I was looking at these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yCh...eature=related

Which seems ok but then on the kindle it looked like it was only using like 70-80 percent of its screen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeLNw...eature=related

Nook seems to be more around the sony style though....
Also I just had a thought If I bring my Micro Sd card to Barnes and Noble will they allow me to test out some of my manga? I mean I just throw it on the root of the card right?

I meant to edit it...pushed the wrong button sorry.

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-09-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: I meant to edit my upper post
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
MangaEbooker, if you're fit to read in a six inch screen, why settle for the nook if you can have a Kindle 3, with a better screen and cheaper? I'm talking of Kindle 3 here, not of Kindle DX Graphite. A Wifi-only Kindle3 costs $139.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #14
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:

The blacks also seem deeper on the Sony(which makes no sense because the sony is 8 bit grayscale and the nook is 16), also I have no clue is 6'' big enough for manga, I heard mixed opinons, some say it looks great others say text is to small. Can't exactly tell from a video sadly...

I'll be honest with you. I have a 6" Cybook and one of my main reasons to buy it was to read manga.

I was disapointed. You really need a >9" screen to really enjoy manga.

The manga's art style will make it more or less readable and enjoyable on a small screen, but if your main reason to buy an ereader is manga, then make an effort and buy the Kindle DX Graphite. You'll be in heaven.

If you also enjoy colour comic books, I guess the iPad would be a solution.

If you really can't go further your 150 bucks budget, then choose the Kindle 3. It has a better screen (50% more contrast, blacks are blacker, whites are whiter) and it reads zipped image files.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have no idea how Manga will look on a six inch screen but the screen in the DXG video is the same screen that will be on the K3. That video was released abou 5 hours after the DXG was released, I would guess that there will be similar videos for the K3 shortly after it is released.

If you can wait until the end of August, you might be able to see what Manga would look like on the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote