Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
krichart
krichart began at the beginning.

Device: sonyPRS600sc
Exclamation Issues at Sony Reader Store

I recently purchased several books for my new PRS-600 at the Sony Reader Store. I found that several of them were corrupt files as they loaded 2000+ pages and the last 1500 pages had only one word or phrase per page. I have reported the issue through the support center. The technician on the phone told me that they were aware of the problem and it will take a long time to resolve. I asked why the delay and she told me there are so many corrupt file reports that it is going to take them a long time to correct them all.

Watch out for:
The Bible: NRSV with Apocrypha- New Testament - Loads 2000+ pages
The Bible: NRSV with Apocrypha- Old Testament- Actually is New Testament (mislabeled) and loads 200+ pages
krichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
You should be able to call Sony E Reader Customer support and they should be able to help you. They have been great help to me.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
krichart

As stated in my post:
Sony Customer Support are the ones who told me of the problem with so many corrupt files. The problems I found have been reported but, as I was told, will take a long time to correct because of the extent of the problem. They told me that I will be notified when the problem is fixed - in the mean time, they have my money and I don't have the product.

Buyer Beware!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichart View Post
in the mean time, they have my money and I don't have the product.
K, Ask Sony for a refund and you'll surely receive it.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
krichart

I asked for a refund- they will only offer a credit to the Reader Store - which is fine but doesn't show that they are doing anything to correct the root problem.

Love the PRS600 but I don't think Sony has it together with the Reader Store.
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I have yet to contaminate my reader with anything from the Sony Store. Your story has certainly put me off looking there in the future. Maybe its about time a Sony Reader Store representative became an active member of MR.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
thanks very much for this info. I was about to purchase that exact bible! Now know to look elsewhere.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I don't think it is the Sony software that is the problem but the company that put the book together in the Epub format. Can't blame Sony for that as they can't control any possible mistakes from this publishers, though they can advise them of issues and request for them to correct them.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef View Post
I don't think it is the Sony software that is the problem but the company that put the book together in the Epub format. Can't blame Sony for that as they can't control any possible mistakes from this publishers, though they can advise them of issues and request for them to correct them.
Indeed. I've gotten about 250 books from Sony and I've only had one corrupt book (crashes the Reader upon opening). Speaking of which, I keep forgetting to do something about that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
Janeena
Janeena began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad, iPhone
Count me happy with Sony books, too.

I've got 40+ books from Sony and have only had one that would not format. When I called they gave me a coupon for the equivalent of another book. In addition, when the original was corrected, I was able to d/l that version. I don't think I could have asked for more when it wasn't their mistake in the first place.

Jan
Janeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Yeah, I've had problems with a download that I can read on the PC but not on the PRS-300. They told me, that there are 2 downloads that occur when you DL something from them. one for the PC and one for the reader. That is such an idiotic statement, I'm almost tempted to believe it.

Since I can read on the PC, they seem reluctant to offer a refund and seem unable to fix it. I'm done with the Reader Store.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Yeah, I've had problems with a download that I can read on the PC but not on the PRS-300. They told me, that there are 2 downloads that occur when you DL something from them. one for the PC and one for the reader. That is such an idiotic statement, I'm almost tempted to believe it.

Since I can read on the PC, they seem reluctant to offer a refund and seem unable to fix it. I'm done with the Reader Store.
Check and see if it's in LRX format. I don't think that's true, as the one corrupt item I had crashed both my Reader and my Library. If it's an LRX (or BBEb) that would explain why it doesn't work.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Krichart,
did you find this bible anywhere else? I am looking for that exact same one.
thanks,
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #14
krichart

Same Bible is available from the publishers site http://www.harpercollins.com/books/N...=9780061946783.

Sony has two unresolved issues:
- Corrupt file still posted on their site
- The item labeled "Old Testament" is actually the New Testament.

One month after reporting the issue it remains unresolved
Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichart View Post
Same Bible is available from the publishers site http://www.harpercollins.com/books/N...=9780061946783.

Sony has two unresolved issues:
- Corrupt file still posted on their site
- The item labeled "Old Testament" is actually the New Testament.

One month after reporting the issue it remains unresolved
Don't mean to butt in, I used to have a Sony so sometimes I scan things over here for old times sake...

Anyway, I have the NRSV Catholic NT and got it at B&N. (Same Harper Collins edition) No problems at all. You would have to strip the DRM to read it on your Sony though.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote