Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
I can't second enough addicted2books. This is a relatively new service for libraries and an expensive one at that. We need to know that (1) patrons are using the service or want to use the service and (2) what types of books that these patrons want to read.

Please be advised that Macmillan and Simon & Schuster refuse to sell ebooks to libraries so none of their titles will be available in Overdrive. Also, we have to pay a significant amount more money for each ebook title we purchase to lend out. While everyone is arguing about REP, libraries have been getting NO DISCOUNT AT ALL on ebooks. We pay the SRP of the least expensive pBook available. If the title is only available as a hardcover at 27.99, we pay 27.99 to add it to our collection. This differs vastly from our purchase of pBooks and in the days of dwindling budgets we can get much more bang for our buck buying pBooks. Because creating a digital library is expensive, small libraries are grouping together to offer content.

So, please, if you are using library ebooks or would like to but don't like the titles available please, please let your library know (nicely). You can/should even suggest titles you want purchased (for ebooks or pbooks). We always appreciate suggestions. You can also let your mayor and local council know as well because most library funding is local!
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #17
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
My suburb of Portland, OR (USA) has no ebooks. None. Zip. Nada. When I went in to ask about ebooks I talked to 3 different people and each one of them proudly informed me that they had a nice collection of audio books. When I explained that ebooks were different than audio books each of them looked at me like I was crazy. They had no idea what I was talking about.

While I live only 30 miles from Portland, OR, I am in a different county and not eligible for a free or discounted library card from them. I don't know if it would matter. The last time I checked them on-line, they had less than two hundred ebooks listed and it seemed that very few of them were fiction. However, if you are interested in "iPod: The Missing Manual" or "In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-counter Look at the Fast-food Chain That Breaks All the Rules", or similar subjects, they have you well covered.

Last edited by gastan; 04-01-2010 at 11:49 AM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That Philly link is very tempting. I already have cards for our local system and the Chicago System but I see several books there that aren't available to either.

I have to think our library can tell how much the patrons are enjoying the downloadable ebooks. When I first started getting books off of Overdrive there were hardy any waitlists. Now they build like crazy as soon as the books are added.

I realize that the Overdrive book licenses are expensive but I'm unclear as to how exactly it works. I mean, once a library purchases a title do they own that license forever or just a set period?

I mean, sure a book might cost $27.99 but it also isn't going to wear out after 12 patrons read the book.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I mean, sure a book might cost $27.99 but it also isn't going to wear out after 12 patrons read the book.
It is a rare book that wears out after 12 circulations. Someone is out sick today and I'm sending out interlibrary loan requests. Thought I'd check circulation on a couple of popular titles. I have one book that has been checked out 31 times and is still in very good shape. Another 24 times also in very good shape.

I can buy close to 2 pbooks for the price of one ebook. That eats into my budget pretty fast. But as demand for ebooks grows the money will shift. I'm here to provide to my community what (and how) they want to read. So, again, I stress that we need to know. Call your library and ask for the person who buys the books or if you already have a downloadable lending library ask to speak to the person in charge. Please also remember we are dealing with limited funds. Libraries have taken a big hit in budgets during this downturn. And once again libraries and (some) publishers are in conflict over ebook lending.

As for how Overdrive library licenses work, we do own it as long as we continue to lend it through the Overdrive framework. Right now there is no competition so that isn't a problem.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
Positive feedback is always welcome at the library. Our overdrive system is grouped with 49 other libraries which makes the selection a bit out of my library's control.
So, while we have mostly audiobooks there are still enough other selections to keep me busy. It is a great system that I trust will catch on with use.

Many thanks to HorridRedDog for the information about the Free Philadelphia library.... my application is enroute.
Thank you. I hope that you enjoy the free P library.

One of the things that I like about them is that as soon as you get your card you can start downloading ebooks, audiobooks, and movies.

Some of the other libraries, like those in the Pittsburgh area, make you come in to "activate" the card. One library that lets out of area users have access to downloads charge $185 PER YEAR!

Don't give up on using their "system". Searching for authors or by genre can get frustrating.

If you want "horror" you can't use that term (I guess that it is a bad word).

Type in only the last name of the author or the title of a book in their system, and then follow the links.

Such as Koontz or "Prodigal Son".

But if you type in just Prodigal Son without the quotes you will get a lot of junk.

If any one can find a better ebook selection let us know

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 04-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
The Carnegie library in Pittsburgh offers both Audio and ebooks, but the ebooks can only be read on a PC. I don't think they can be downloaded to an ereader. The audiobooks can, but not the ebooks.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
The Carnegie library in Pittsburgh offers both Audio and ebooks, but the ebooks can only be read on a PC. I don't think they can be downloaded to an ereader. The audiobooks can, but not the ebooks.
Quite right. That's why I got a Free Library of Philadelphia card... for free! The Philly library does Overdrive eBooks, which can be downloaded to your reader.

Xenophon
(in Pgh)
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Quite right. That's why I got a Free Library of Philadelphia card... for free! The Philly library does Overdrive eBooks, which can be downloaded to your reader.

Xenophon
(in Pgh)
I've sent for one as well!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Toronto Public Library uses the Overdrive system which means I can't use a Kindle 2. It's one reason I am toying with buying a Kobo when it's released next month.

But the selection is so slight ... I am biting my tongue not to type something vitriolic.

Libraries -- and certainly this was the Carnegie vision -- are intended to be knowledge portals where accessibility is a fundamental principle. Why on earth do not major libraries have "e-book librarians" who are curating a growing collection of titles for patrons to select from? Why isn't there a "manybooks.net" department finding the best of public domain and showcasing it "on e-shelves" for patrons to browse and borrow?

I'm astounded to discover that "e-books" is lumped in with audio books and mp3 files for borrowing once I enter the Overdrive world. I'd expect to be able to read a copy of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and, in fact, I cant: but I can listen to it. How nuts is that?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Toronto Public Library uses the Overdrive system which means I can't use a Kindle 2. It's one reason I am toying with buying a Kobo when it's released next month.
Yep... I Was thinking for $150.... I might get one... "I would say it was for my Wife"... but it would be something I could put library eBooks on without the liberation hassle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #26
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:

But the selection is so slight ... I am biting my tongue not to type something vitriolic.

Libraries -- and certainly this was the Carnegie vision -- are intended to be knowledge portals where accessibility is a fundamental principle. Why on earth do not major libraries have "e-book librarians" who are curating a growing collection of titles for patrons to select from? Why isn't there a "manybooks.net" department finding the best of public domain and showcasing it "on e-shelves" for patrons to browse and borrow?

I'm astounded to discover that "e-books" is lumped in with audio books and mp3 files for borrowing once I enter the Overdrive world. I'd expect to be able to read a copy of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and, in fact, I cant: but I can listen to it. How nuts is that?
Carnegie also uses Overdrive. Libraries have to pay for an additional license to allow downloads by members. But I know most libraries including Carnegie are having budget issues, so I doubt an e-license is high on their list of priorities.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #27
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I don't know if they still do, but when I lived in Brooklyn and the BPL did not carry ebooks, I emailed the NYPL and they sent me a card to use for online downloads.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Carnegie also uses Overdrive. Libraries have to pay for an additional license to allow downloads by members. But I know most libraries including Carnegie are having budget issues, so I doubt an e-license is high on their list of priorities.
With respect, you entirely missed my point. Andrew Carnegie was responsible for the building of over 3500 libraries around the world by 1919 -- nearly 1700 in the US, 125 in Canada, 660 in Britain and Ireland, and others elsewhere. The first was in his beloved hometown in Scotland. He believed in local communities directly participating in projects, ongoing funding and that information (lending/access) would be free.

E-book lending opens a new category of access and re-enfranchises, potentially, a new generation of borrowers who are electronically engaged and not likely to need, or seek out, paper. It just seems to me libraries today could do a significantly better job in this area, at relatively little cost and by pooling resources of regional library facilities.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #29
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
With respect, you entirely missed my point. Andrew Carnegie was responsible for the building of over 3500 libraries around the world by 1919 -- nearly 1700 in the US, 125 in Canada, 660 in Britain and Ireland, and others elsewhere. The first was in his beloved hometown in Scotland. He believed in local communities directly participating in projects, ongoing funding and that information (lending/access) would be free.

E-book lending opens a new category of access and re-enfranchises, potentially, a new generation of borrowers who are electronically engaged and not likely to need, or seek out, paper. It just seems to me libraries today could do a significantly better job in this area, at relatively little cost and by pooling resources of regional library facilities.
I understood your point, I just wasn't commenting on that portion of it.

Currently Carnegie Libraries in Pittsburgh are in the midst of closing 4 branches due to budgetary issues. Licensing for e-books is, I imagine, pretty low on the list of priorities.

I also think that it wouldn't be money well spent. Let's face it, e-readers are luxury items and currently libraries are most important to the poorer communities. In some cases the only place kids can use a computer or read a book, other than at school, is the library. If the library has to choose between an e-book and a p-book, they need to go with the p-book because that will be the greater benefit to the most people and that is more in line with Carnegie's vision.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Let's face it, e-readers are luxury items and currently libraries are most important to the poorer communities. In some cases the only place kids can use a computer or read a book, other than at school, is the library. If the library has to choose between an e-book and a p-book, they need to go with the p-book because that will be the greater benefit to the most people and that is more in line with Carnegie's vision.
Yes, I agree with your assessment here -- the library's role as a community centre. I disagree (without a shred of proof on my part ) that the cost of expanding the e-book collection, shared with other regional libraries, and properly curated and promoted, would not be a net benefit to the library's local role.

I was really pleased to see that the Free Library of Philadelphia included, on its home page, info about PA genealogy. That's the sort of focussed, local relevance I'd expect from "curating" info that could be applied to e-books.

Our Toronto Public Library system has some amazing sub collections -- the most extensive Conan Doyle collection in the world, the Judith Merrill SciFi collection, the Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books and tons of material directly related to the history of Toronto, Ontario and Canada. Why not a focus on Canadian writers, current and extinct, where e-books exist? There are endless possibilities and they all enhance what the library system can deliver and increase its reputation.

*sigh* e-books seem such an obvious enhancement to me even within existing budgets.