Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
A sign that the apocalypse is nigh...

My mother, who has responded to stepdad's burgeoning interest in ebook readers with a firm 'this does not interest me at all, not me, no sir, never never' says to me at dinner tonight:

'So, I heard? That over Christmas? Amazon sold more books for those...those thingies...than they did regular ones!'

Hear that everyone? MOM has heard about this. It's a sign the end is near, I'm telling you...

Fwiw, stepdad at least knew the Kindle by name and is thinking he wants one. HE has heard that Apple is coming out with one and he is waiting to see. The big barrier for people like him getting on the ebook train is that he may accept such new-fangled concepts as wireless content delivery without a fuss, but he is reluctant to plunk down cashola on a device from the internet that he can't go to a store and look at and touch. So Apple may ave an edge there is the rumoured tablet really turns out to be an ebook-type thing.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
One more from the End Of Days Checklist.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I am now preparing myself and family for the end .... It really does show just what Amazon/Kindle have done. As I have said before.... I have read ebooks for 10 years, and on mobile devices for 7. In my Texas town for the most part I have felt a lone wolf.... but Kindle at least made the concept more mainstream.

It reminds me how Creative was really the first portable hard drive mp3 player. I had one, and of course people though it odd. Then the iPod.... and the rest is history. When we have the non-tech savvy aware of a product, mainstream is just a few years away.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where in TX are you. Some nice synth work on your music page btw.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Live in Granbury Texas (about 30 miles south of Fort Worth)... and thanks for the kind words
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Live in Granbury Texas (about 30 miles south of Fort Worth)... and thanks for the kind words
Ah cool not far from where I grew up. Madill, OK - Lake Texhoma.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
'So, I heard? That over Christmas? Amazon sold more books for those...those thingies...than they did regular ones!'
Wow. Amazon's marketing machine wins again. I keep seeing this repeated, but it's not what Amazon actually reported. I suspect that's exactly what they intended.

What Amazon actually reported was that e-books outsold p-books on Christmas Day. That's a huge difference.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yes, it's pretty easy too considering they don't ship many pbooks then...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I thought the same thing once my Dad stopped calling my laptop my "lapthing".
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I thought the same thing once my Dad stopped calling my laptop my "lapthing".
HA! I love that. My niece used to call my laptop a 'board.' Whenever I saw her, she'd ask if I had my 'board' with me and if she could play on it. She actually has the makings of a closet techie, she's smart enough and gadgets interest her. Of course my SIL would kill me if I corrupted her in such a way
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Y'know, when eBook reading devices are about to become mainstream, it's gonna be a crowded digital world.

I think I'm going to look for a new revolutionary device and will be giving stone tablets a try. Their potential (especially DRM) never was fully utilized by the Babylonians. And adding a granite stylus you could even make your own notes on the backside.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote