Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Buy Opus/Wait or get Cybook Repaired?

Hello peeps,

I have a quick question which has confused me enough , I have a broken cybook at hand and currently got some cash at hand , I was wondering right now should I invest in a new ebook reader altogether such as Opus or get my cybook repaired or wait till sony rolls out their new ebook readers ?

Opus in USD when converted to pounds was 168 , but bookeen website shows 235 bloody hell , my whole budget got stunned !. Now I am left wondering , what should I do ?

Any comments ? Recommendations ? Please do let me know
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Hi pakiyabhai,

I think that part of the answer depends on the cost to get your cybook repaired.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Hello,

the answer also depends on the format you are ready to use: in the end, both Cybook and Opus should be able to read mobipocket or epub, depending on the user's preference (but not both at once).
So if you buy an Opus now you will be unable to read the mobipocket books you have on your Cybook without converting them (assuming you don't have one of the new epub cybooks that were sold in Germany).
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Be carrefull, Bookeen is a french company, and original price is in Euro, not Dollar, so at first you should convert euro to pounds, not dollars to pounds
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiyabhai View Post
Hello peeps,

I have a quick question which has confused me enough , I have a broken cybook at hand and currently got some cash at hand , I was wondering right now should I invest in a new ebook reader altogether such as Opus or get my cybook repaired or wait till sony rolls out their new ebook readers ?

Opus in USD when converted to pounds was 168 , but bookeen website shows 235 bloody hell , my whole budget got stunned !. Now I am left wondering , what should I do ?

Any comments ? Recommendations ? Please do let me know
If you get an Opus, all your DRMed Mobipocket eBooks won't be usable unless you strip the DRM and convert to ePub. That and the fact that the screen is smaller makes the Opus (IMHO) a no go to replace your Gen3.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-14-2009 at 02:52 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fact that the screen is smaller is pretty much a non-issue, in my experience (I have both a Gen3 and an Opus). The screens have the same pixel resolution, and if you do have problems - eg in poor light - you can simply increase the font size a little to compensate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Mathlete
Enthusiast
Mathlete began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
As the OP has a broken ereader screen, I want to ask if the Opus is any more durable than the Gen 3.

Bookeen claims that the Opus is pocket friendly. How should we interpret that? Does it mean that, yes, it can fit in your pocket, but if you want to carry it there you do so at your own risk?

Is it pocket friendly in the sense that a cell phone is pocket friendly--or in the sense that a baby sparrow is pocket friendly?
Mathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Opus has a glass screen just like the Gen3. That makes it about the same in terms of durability. Possibly Sony might have the most durable screens because the case used on the Readers is more durable and is not plastic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The screen is a bit smaller, which should make it a bit more resistant to twisting forces. The device frame may also be somewhat stronger than the Gen3's. But the screen should be equally sensitive to direct pressure and hard corners.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Opus has a glass screen just like the Gen3. That makes it about the same in terms of durability. Possibly Sony might have the most durable screens because the case used on the Readers is more durable and is not plastic.
If I read correctly, the 300 and 600 have no more a rigid bezel like before...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that the screen is smaller is pretty much a non-issue, in my experience (I have both a Gen3 and an Opus). The screens have the same pixel resolution, and if you do have problems - eg in poor light - you can simply increase the font size a little to compensate.
I'm sorry if you've already answered this, Harry.

How do you feel about the Opus in comparison to your Gen 3? Do you prefer one over the other? Assuming that the firmware was flawless and you had a dictionary in ePub, do you find the Opus is more ergonomic?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I prefer to ergonomics of the Opus. It's a lot easier to carry around, and you really can carry it in your pocket! The supplied carrying wallet is extremely "rigid" - you'd have to seriously "abuse" it to break the device.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The screen is a bit smaller, which should make it a bit more resistant to twisting forces. The device frame may also be somewhat stronger than the Gen3's. But the screen should be equally sensitive to direct pressure and hard corners.
The "chasis" of the Opus seems to be a lot more rigid than that of the Gen3. You can easily "twist" the casing the Gen3; you can't do that with the Opus.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #14
Mathlete
Enthusiast
Mathlete began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Well that is certainly reassuring. Thank you.

Mine is scheduled to arrive in two days.
Mathlete is offline   Reply With Quote