Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #46
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can you change the fonts? That is the only exploit that I would love to have - but I imagine that with Touch this would be more complex....
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #47
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Kindle timeout too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
my wife could care less about these and thinks i only got the Kindle so i could have yet another technical gizmo to defeat
Well....? She's right, isn't she?

Has anyone figured out how to lengthen the Kindle's timeout so it doesn't go offline while you're connected to it via ssh or sshfs? The latter is very annoying because it hangs Nautilus on my Mint system. Seems like it times out after only a few minutes, which is OK for normal reading activity, but not hacking.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #48
rhcp1253
rhcp1253 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non-Touch
Calculator

I just realized if you type calculations (eg. 5*21) into the search bar on the kindle, it solves them. Very interesting
rhcp1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #49
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcp1253 View Post
I just realized if you type calculations (eg. 5*21) into the search bar on the kindle, it solves them. Very interesting
very neat feature.
asciibaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #50
kobestarr
kobestarr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hey!
I have been following this thread and loving what im seeing and got through the first stages of the hack. Im having real trouble running the python script to get the root password.

Im on a mac - is there anyone out there that can give me the lowdown??

Help please these screensavers are rubbish! and merry xmas!

K*
kobestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #51
martines
martines began at the beginning.

Device: none
is anybody able to help me????
ive got kindle 4 and want to run ankisrs on it but need to jailbreak it first, couldnt find any particular info anywhere...
thanks for your time !
martines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #52
xtron
xtron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
@kobestarr: the default is root:mario (root being the user and mario the password) if you have a v4.0 software chances are you can login using that pass with no need for python.
xtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #53
kobestarr

hey xtron!

I tried Mario but im afraid i have version 4.0.1

is there a simplr tutorial anywhere that can explain this? I have done programming so im not scared to have a go but simply saying "run the python script" just asks more questions!!!

run it in what? do i need a compiler? what is the output? why does python work in this case? Does this work on a mac??

do you see what i mean. I have looked at youtube tutorials but they always jump straight to "so here is the script" and boom! There you go!

Cheers

K*
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #54
xtron

Sadly I cannot help you with the specifics as I do not understand them myself. Nevertheless I do agree that there is some confusion generated by "run the script in a compiler" like statements. Just saying that is a bit idiotic if no actual steps to do that are provided. I have also tried all the ways I know how of using Python(command line) to send information and run scripts on the kindle (before giving up and using the default pass). Just be patient and someone who understands Python COM will surely answer you.
Have a nice day !
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #55
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
If you have problems with the python script to figure out your Kindle firmware 4.0.1 root password, use the web page I just made at http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html

If you want to stick to the python script, what you do is
write the script to a file, e.g. kindle.py

Then open a terminal window, navigate to the directory with the script and type "python kindle.py" and it will run the script using the python interpreter.

python is installed by default on a Mac. On Windows you need to download and install it first.

Last edited by Lorphos; 12-30-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #56
kobestarr

SWEEET!

I will try this Next Year! HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!
K*
Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #57
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
I wish I understood this. Is there any Layman "How to" for putting new Screensavers on my (Non-touch) Kindle 4?

Has to be pretty simple to be honest?
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #58
xtron

@Villordsutch: the tutorial posted is as simple as it can be done right now (i guess) and you need some basic understanding of linux to run the commands. Don't worry though because as far as I can tell the people here are working hard at a true jailbrake for the Kindle4NT and a somewhat simpler process will surely be posted when found. If you can't wait just find a friend that is more experienced in linux and show him this thread.

Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #59
chrisp
chrisp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
thx!

1. I wanted to thank danar for writing down the HowTo step by step and easy to follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danar View Post
Hello,
(1) Kindle Root Access via USB Networking.rtf
(2) Kindle Custom Screensavers via USB Networking.rtf
what xtron mentioned (mntrootfs -rw) is still in File (2), i think that's where he got it from.

2. Also thanks to dionoea for explaining it to a not-knowing-Windows-person-but-also-being-a-Linux-noob (me)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionoea View Post
Btw, note that "FW" in diagnostics mode refers to the "Five Way" controller, aka the direction/ok pad.
For a bloody noob like me, comments like this are VERY helpful. Thank you all for NOT having an exclusive hackers-only forum here!
I want to learn more about using linux, so just installing a complete hack would teach me nothing. But this here is really cool!

Have a good start in 2012!
(Excuse my English)
chrisp
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #60
damonlee
damonlee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Does anybody have a backup of the original screen savers (from the kindle 4 - non touch)?

I seem to have misplaced mine.....

If someone could help me out I would be very grateful
damonlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack