Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Motofone F3 as Ebook Reader?

Greetings,

An idea has been wurring around in my head for a bit now: would it be possible to use the Motofone F3, which features a basic eink screen, as a portable, extremely durable, extremely basic ereader? I could get a sim card and purchase a prepaid unlimited texting plan (these are not expensive if you don't want any minutes attached) and then use email-to-SMS gateways to send chapters of whatever book I'm reading to the phone. I could keep track of where I left off by only opening the messages when I intend to read them. I could also subscribe to various twitter and rss feeds to get news updates throughout the day. Can anyone who has this phone comment on the viability of this plan? I know the phone's text display capabilities are primitive (limited number of characters on screen at one time, limited punctuation, etc.) but if one is not a stickler for the formating of the text you are reading, is this doable? The phone itself is dirt cheap (less than $25 with free shipping on Amazon) so the risk would be minimal. Any opinions?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
only one post so not much harm in this necrobump.

the phone unfortunately only has a 2 line display and afaik no j2me. strangely there has never been any proper eink phones...

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_FONE

pretty cool phone though
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
And the character set is a random jumble of upper and lower case characters and one, maybe two punctuation marks. The display isn't bitmapped, it's pretty much equivalent to a 14 segment led display. Plus you only get about 8 characters on screen at once...

They're great as a cheap, sunlight-readable, long battery life lightweight phone. But pretty useless for SMS let alone anything else.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30

I'm really scraping the barrel looking for a eink phone!

It's a problem for me as I work outdoors and can't see the screen...
plus I had my Nook stolen so it feels hard to buy another one again... yet most phones either have a small screen or too big to read for hours at a time without it plugged in
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote