Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Merging Calibre databases and/or folders?

Not totally in panic but close. I seem to have "lost" my desktop computer and I thought my Calibre Library. I've been using my netbook on which I installed Calibre and adding new titles there. Well, I have now managed to salvage the d: drive (not the boot Windows drive) so I have TWO calibre libraries.

I know I can copy one Calibre folder (and its subfolders) to the other and Windows will offer to either copy/replace or just add new items to the folder structure. So all titles/files would be in the resulting merged FOLDER system. But what will calibre do with all of this new data? Is there a REFRESH option that would consolidate it all or???

I did search on Merge but there were too many hits and I'm trying to get this stuff back sooner rather than later...

What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks in advance.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Not totally in panic but close. I seem to have "lost" my desktop computer and I thought my Calibre Library. I've been using my netbook on which I installed Calibre and adding new titles there. Well, I have now managed to salvage the d: drive (not the boot Windows drive) so I have TWO calibre libraries.

I know I can copy one Calibre folder (and its subfolders) to the other and Windows will offer to either copy/replace or just add new items to the folder structure. So all titles/files would be in the resulting merged FOLDER system. But what will calibre do with all of this new data? Is there a REFRESH option that would consolidate it all or???

I did search on Merge but there were too many hits and I'm trying to get this stuff back sooner rather than later...

What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks in advance.
Merge is not the term used here

If the second library is acessible ((External Drive). Simple:

Use the pulldown arrow next to the library Icon to switch to that library.
Now
Select all books (Tip ) Click the square just above the row numbers
Now: Right click on one of the selected books. Copy To Library

Sit back, have some coffee and let it do it's thing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
While I have not done it and there may be better solutions, I would simply copy both libraries into a new directory similarly as you described (so that you have backup of both in case something goes wrong) and then tell Calibre to pickup the database at the new location (from Preferences->Run Welcome Wizard)
EDIT: I should have reloaded the page before sending my reply but at least you can choose now

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-18-2010 at 05:37 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
While I have not done it and there may be better solutions, I would simply copy both libraries into a new directory similarly as you described (so that you have backup of both in case something goes wrong) and then tell Calibre to pickup the database at the new location (from Preferences->Run Welcome Wizard)
EDIT: I should have reloaded the page before sending my reply but at least you can choose now
That's a pretty bad idea, if I understand what you want to do correctly. Calibre would access the metadata.db file present, which would contain only the book entries from the last copied library, and it would just ignore the first libraries' folders and only access the second ones'.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Ah, of course, you are absolutely right. I have forgotten that Calibre uses the .db file there. So in Welcome Wizard one would have to switch to an empty directory and then select and import the all books from the manually merged directory.

The theducks suggestion is better.

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I am or rather Calibre is in the process of copying.....

By the way, is the original Silicon Valley and theDucks perchance located in Oregon, one state south of here?

edited to add:

Well, I thiink it worked but possibly not completely. I did get an error:

"
ERROR: Failed: Could not copy books: disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 200, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\copy_to_library.py", line 34, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\copy_to_library.py", line 73, in doit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2404, in import_book
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1519, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 236, in run
DatabaseException: disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 200, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error
"

Last edited by FF2; 12-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I am or rather Calibre is in the process of copying.....

By the way, is the original Silicon Valley and theDucks perchance located in Oregon, one state south of here?
Come on now
HP, Intel, Google, Sun,Apple ... l started in this area

But I know who you are talking about
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote