Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
trailmaven
trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505
Library Management software

Despite being primarily a Mac user, I have been using the Sony software via platform emulation since I got my Reader 505 in Sept 07. (I have to use Windows for a number of other things, so it has not been too much of a hassle.)

I am about to get another ebook for a *very* non-techie member of my household, though, and need a Mac-based tool to minimize my expected tech-support time for the new ebook reader.

Calibre? Stanza desktop? others? Recommendations? Issues? Limitations?

I am particularly concerned about possible issues around new firmware upgrades and library continuity.

Thanks for the help!
trailmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Well i for one have had almost no issues with Calibre. It is very easy to use and has a nice coverflow style was of showing you library, this with the nice big buttons that tell you exactly what they do make it a good choice for most people.

** see further down, i was wrong about the issue bellow **

Only issue you might have is that you can not transfer books bought on the Sony ebook store to your device. They show up fine in the library but wont transfer (If i'm wrong about this please correct me but i have never been able to do this).

Oh, and good luck avoiding tech support, I never seem to get away form my friends

Last edited by electristan; 02-22-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: correcting mistake
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaven View Post
I am about to get another ebook for a *very* non-techie member of my household, though, and need a Mac-based tool to minimize my expected tech-support time for the new ebook reader.
If they go with a Kindle there is basically no need to even connect it to the PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, trailmaven.

While the Kindle doesn't "need" to be used with the pc, it is very easy to do, and saves the battery.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, trailmaven.

While the Kindle doesn't "need" to be used with the pc, it is very easy to do, and saves the battery.
I guess I mean you don't need any special software or to connect it to the PC. You can buy/browse on the PC in the Amazon store of course.

Also, "saves that battery"? How? You mean by not using the wireless? You only need to turn on the wireless when you want it to download something. Much easier and quicker than bringing it over to the PC and plugging it in. That's worth a few seconds with the wireless on to me.

BOb
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
trailmaven
trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
Only issue you might have is that you can not transfer books bought on the Sony ebook store to your device. They show up fine in the library but wont transfer (If i'm wrong about this please correct me but i have never been able to do this).

Oh, and good luck avoiding tech support, I never seem to get away form my friends
Hmmm. if I am interpreting you correctly, if I go with Calibre for library management, I will lose access to any books I have purchased through Sony Connect, including the 100 classics. And if I read the Calibre website correctly, the two systems, Calibre and Sony, won't coexist. Sounds like a challenge.

And on the tech support front - tech support is a given, I just don't want to be the only path to getting new books, and I also want to be able to share books between the devices. the lack of book exchange capability between the Reader and the Kindle makes getting the Kindle an imperfect solution...
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmm. if I am interpreting you correctly, if I go with Calibre for library management, I will lose access to any books I have purchased through Sony Connect, including the 100 classics. And if I read the Calibre website correctly, the two systems, Calibre and Sony, won't coexist. Sounds like a challenge.
No and no. You will not loose access to any books. And yes you can use both apps if you want. But, I think what many do is just use the Sony software to access the store, then import the purchased books into Calibre to manage them.

Then, as you move on you will find the buying ebooks from places other than the Sony books store gives you a better selection and prices... so you learn how to use the utilities to "liberate" (remove DRM) from the LIT and/or mobipocket format in order to convert them with calibre.

The info on the web site is specific to the Sony PRS500... calibre doesn't work with the Sony 500 driver and the Sony software doesn't work with the calibre driver.

BOb
Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And on the tech support front - tech support is a given, I just don't want to be the only path to getting new books, and I also want to be able to share books between the devices. the lack of book exchange capability between the Reader and the Kindle makes getting the Kindle an imperfect solution...
As pilotbob says you can have both Calibre and Sony connect installed at the same without issue's. What i can not do is what pilotbob states bellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think what many do is just use the Sony software to access the store, then import the purchased books into Calibre to manage them.
I can add the books i have bought on the Sony Connect store to the Calibre library but when i try to transfer them over i receive an error message. This might just be me i don't know as i have not looked into it much so a second opinion would be great
Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
I can add the books i have bought on the Sony Connect store to the Calibre library but when i try to transfer them over i receive an error message. This might just be me i don't know as i have not looked into it much so a second opinion would be great
Hmm... my apologies if this is wrong. I haven't done it but heard of other members here that have had no problem.

What error do you get? Have you put a ticket about it in the calibre Trac system?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-22-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
electristan
newbie reader

Well I'm a liar

Just tried it again after updating to 0.4.139 and it works without a hitch. Now i whole hardheartedly recommend Calibre, sorry about that.

And to try to redeem myself i'd like to add that that firmware updates should not be an issue with Calibre and the 505 as kovidgoyal seems very dedicated and there were no real problems after the last firmware update.

Last edited by electristan; 02-22-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
trailmaven

Thanks for the clarifications. That is a big help.

Tags
505, library management, mac os x, software