Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
In that particular area where the library has been placed many do not have internet. That was also stated in one of the articles. I think they said its as high as 75%. Again, in that area, not all of San Antonio.
Heck, even in the area I live, I know many that don't have internet, for various reasons.

These people now have access to computers and internet and can be part of modern life in that way. There were a lot of older folks apparently too that showed up to get the hang of going online.

If it wasn't such a drive for me, I would check this one out. But I hate driving here.
BS. It would not even be true if you said the area was the block the Library is on. Even if broadband were not available, which it is, everyone there has access to landlines. There are even free WiFi "Hot Spots" and plenty of cell towers and access. There are a large range of computers available in shops large and small, at surprisingly low prices on the south side. Plus tons of "used" computers. The existence of a government program provides an opportunity for those who are good at scamming the system, but most of the "poor" who want computers and internet for themselves and their kids have them already. If you read articles about a program, of any kind, and don't realize that the reporter is just using the data and even the copy provided by those promoting the program, you are being very gullible.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #32
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
So, you also would disagree with "Sydney's Mom" who posted: "This is a poor area, and most residents don't have internet access." As I happen to live in San Antonio, I know how wrong such a statement is.
Well, first off you did say channels of cable, not whether or not it came with internet. Also, there's the issue of whether or not the cable box has wifi chips- a lot of them still don't, so you can only hook up one computer thru ethernet. Maybe a second via USB. So mobile "broadband" is sometimes these peoples' only internet.

I'm not entirely sure the parents have smartphones themselves. I know that for all their smartphones, the kids usually don't have a home computer, so they still have to type out papers and print them at school. So this library might be aimed at the parents instead of the kids.

That having been said, where I live isn't the most depressed part of Texas by a long shot, and the school district is well above average for the state- even at it's worst school.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
BS. It would not even be true if you said the area was the block the Library is on. Even if broadband were not available, which it is, everyone there has access to landlines. There are even free WiFi "Hot Spots" and plenty of cell towers and access. There are a large range of computers available in shops large and small, at surprisingly low prices on the south side. Plus tons of "used" computers. The existence of a government program provides an opportunity for those who are good at scamming the system, but most of the "poor" who want computers and internet for themselves and their kids have them already. If you read articles about a program, of any kind, and don't realize that the reporter is just using the data and even the copy provided by those promoting the program, you are being very gullible.

Luck;
Ken
Stick by your guns, Ken. I come from the very benighted area of San Antonio they are talking about. (K-12 in the 2nd poorest school district at the time) I did my "missionary work" as a kid, and found out that people usually <don't> want to be helped. (And that was the "unformed youngsters".)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
I don't really appreciate your tone and you telling me I am gullible. I don't come here to get into a bark fest on welfare. I don't need to be "educated" on the state of poor people.

This thread is about a paper less library. I was stating what was said in the article and my personal experience living in San Antonio.

I think this library is a very good thing, especially for the area they put it in. It will be interesting to see how it shapes up. Giving more access to people is always a good thing.

eta: added for this link. This has some really nice photos finally of the other areas. The lounge and charging area, the kids area. They are using Surface tables for the educational games, XBox kinect and ipads in the children area.
I like the idea to put Discover Stations in other government buildings for more access.

They did a really nice job with the set up there.

link to more pics:
http://www.govtech.com/education/Tex...iblioTech.html

Last edited by Atunah; 09-20-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Texas wants to do away with healthcare for anyone not a wealthy tea party member.

Texas also wants us to consider a Canadian as a candidate for president.
A Canadian born of Cuban decent. He quickly denounced his Canadian dual citizenship so he can run for President.

Certainly a different Texas than I grew up in during the 1960s. We used to be widely known as the "friendly state", though our politicians have always been crooks, but at least they were friendly crooks! But now the politicians are just downright mean spirited, close minded sleazeballs. Most of whom are relatively new to Texas.
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #36
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now lets see how long or even if any moderator finds this political?

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #37
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
If you read articles about a program, of any kind, and don't realize that the reporter is just using the data and even the copy provided by those promoting the program, you are being very gullible.
Even the ones written by people trying to get those programs shut down?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #38
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Yes, certainly, no source should be allowed to be the only source for an article. No advocate group, pro or against, should be relied upon as having a ground truth perspective or unbiased data. Reporters are lazy or without the resources to actually dig out the truth. They often run with whatever they are given. Some ask for an opposing groups comment, to go with an entire article based solely on material provided by one side.

But this is not the topic of this thread. (Not as bad as post #35, though.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Is that how it is in "poor areas" of Chicago? There is plenty of broadband coverage in the south part of San Antonio. To access ebook files you wouldn't even need broadband, though, dial-up would work fine. I doubt that you could find a welfare mother without 250 channels of U-verse and as much broadband as they want, to go along with their "Obama" Wireless Phone.

Luck;
Ken
Quote:
So, you also would disagree with "Sydney's Mom" who posted: "This is a poor area, and most residents don't have internet access." As I happen to live in San Antonio, I know how wrong such a statement is. As to the difference between the liberal and conservative view of the welfare state, such discussions are not allowed here (at least not the conservative side).

Luck;
Ken
I think the reply was in response to the implication, whether you meant it or not, that welfare mothers (which I consider a pejorative term) should not have 250 broadband channels or cellular phones.

Some are lucky enough to have cable/internet supplied, some scrimp and save so their children are able to do their schoolwork and perhaps have a little entertainment. Where I live, we have collections several times a year and sponsorship programs to buy things for the less fortunate. A lot of these things are entertainment items, because some feel even the poor children should have some fun. These gifts or donations are made anonymously so no one need feel diminished.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #40
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Is that how it is in "poor areas" of Chicago? There is plenty of broadband coverage in the south part of San Antonio. To access ebook files you wouldn't even need broadband, though, dial-up would work fine. I doubt that you could find a welfare mother without 250 channels of U-verse and as much broadband as they want, to go along with their "Obama" Wireless Phone.

Luck;
Ken
In the really poor areas, where mothers are on TV nightly because kids are being shot, I don't think internet is their biggest concern. And the comment about the phone is just plain meanspirited and petty.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please cut out the political posts NOW. Any further posts that the moderating team deem to be political in nature will be deleted without notice or comment.

If you want to discuss politics, we have a "Politics and Religion" forum for that very purpose.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote