Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #1906
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
“Horrible possibility: if the geeks are right about Ohio, might they also be right about climate?”
- David Frum, former speechwriter for George W. Bush, on twitter
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1907
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
“Horrible possibility: if the geeks are right about Ohio, might they also be right about climate?”
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #1908
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I am reading all Haruki Murakami. I remember this quote:

"Every one of us is losing something precious to us," he says after the phone stops ringing. "Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That's part of what it means to be alive. But inside our heads—at least that's where I imagine it—there's a little room where we store those memories. A room like the stacks in this library. And to understand the workings of our own heart we have to keep on making new reference cards. We have to dust things off every once in a while, let in fresh air, change the water in the flower vases. In other words, you'll live forever in your own private library."

in " Kafka on the shore" by Haruki Murakami

Last edited by desertblues; 11-11-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: grammar, what else?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #1909
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post

"Every one of us is losing something precious to us," he says after the phone stops ringing. "Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That's part of what it means to be alive. But inside our heads—at least that's where I imagine it—there's a little room where we store those memories. A room like the stacks in this library. And to understand the workings of our own heart we have to keep on making new reference cards. We have to dust things off every once in a while, let in fresh air, change the water in the flower vases. In other words, you'll live forever in your own private library."

Good on, Ben.

DB, that is beautiful! I must read some Murakami.

“Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. But I don’t go along with that. The memories I value most, I don’t ever see them fading.” ― Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #1910
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
“Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. But I don’t go along with that. The memories I value most, I don’t ever see them fading.” ― Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
That is a book I would want to read.
At the moment I'm reading the Chinese classics. This is from the first book I read. 'Journey to the west', by Wu Cheng'en.
This journey is interesting as it combines adventure, poetry and wisdom. It speaks about the faibles of men, but in this taoïst/buddhist world there is also forgiveness. It is a journey through life, with it's pitfalls.
The poetry in between the battles:

"The earth is black in front of the cliff, and no orchids grow.
Creepers crawl in the brown mud by the path.
Where did the birds of yesterday fly?
To what other mountain did the animals go?
Leopards and pythons dislike this ruined spot;
Cranes and snakes avoid the desolation.
My criminal thoughts of those days past
Brought on the disaster of today."

Last edited by desertblues; 11-11-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Grammar, again
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #1911
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

How vulgar, this hankering after immortality, how vain, how false. Composers are merely scribblers of cave paintings. One writes music because winter is eternal and because, if one didn’t, the wolves and blizzards would be at one’s throat all the sooner.”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
In the process of reading Cloud Atlas now (about one quarter through). From that (so true):

Quote:
A question, Luisa?”

“Yes. Is there a new editorial policy no one’s told me about that excludes articles containing truth?”

“Hey, metaphysics seminar is on the roof. Just take the elevator up and keep walking until you hit the sidewalk. Anything is true if enough people believe it is. Nancy, what’ve you got for me?”
Quote:

Quote:

I read my first Murakami book a little under a year ago, and have now read a total of four. I like! This is from Norwegian Wood:

Quote:
I had learned one thing from Kizuki’s death, and I believed that I had made it a part of myself in the form of a philosophy: “Death is not the opposite of life but an innate part of life.”

By living our lives, we nurture death. True as this might be, it was only one of the truths we had to learn. What I learned from Naoko’s death was this: no truth can cure the sorrow we feel from losing a loved one. No truth, no sincerity, no strength, no kindness can cure that sorrow. All we can do is see it through to the end and learn something from it, but what we learn will be no help in facing the next sorrow that comes to us without warning.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #1912
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
In the process of reading Cloud Atlas now (about one quarter through). ......
The film of Cloud Atlas is coming to our town in december and I'll go and see it.

I'm on my 9th Murakami and Norwegian Wood is indeed a good book. I didn't like the 'a Wild Sheep Chase', but 'Kafka on the shore' is good, save for some cruelty in the beginning, that put me almost off the book.
The book I like best is Hardboiled wonderland and the end of the World. That one I will read again.
Presently I'm reading 'The Elephant vanishes"; short stories.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-11-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #1913
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
The film of Cloud Atlas is coming to our town in december and I'll go and see it.

I'm on my 9th Murakami and Norwegian Wood is indeed a good book. I didn't like the 'a Wild Sheep Chase', but 'Kafka on the shore' is good, save for some cruelty in the beginning, that put me almost off the book.
The book I like best is Hardboiled wonderland and the end of the World. That one I will read again.
Presently I'm reading 'The Elephant vanishes"; short stories.
I have also read Kafka on the Shore and really liked it. Though if you are referring to that business about the cats, yes that was hard to take. And I don't even like cats.

I to am really looking forward to the film version of Cloud Atlas coming to my town. There is no guarantee that it well though. I live in a small town in a rural area, and sometimes films that are not likely to draw big among children and teenagers are just never booked for the one single screen theater in town. That and the place is old and so high definition and 3-D movies don't show well in it.

I am also looking forward to the film of The Life of Pi. I was not that impressed with the book, and was not entranced with the mystic/religious theme, but the trailers I have seen are stunning. I may have to make a full day trip of it to see that in a proper theater.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #1914
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I have also read Kafka on the Shore and really liked it. Though if you are referring to that business about the cats, yes that was hard to take. And I don't even like cats.

I to am really looking forward to the film version of Cloud Atlas coming to my town. There is no guarantee that it well though..
Well, I have a cat.....
The Cloud of Atlas will only play in the small arthouse film- theatre in our middle- sized town. The big cinemas don't want these kind of films.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #1915
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.
- Carl Sagan
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1916
kennyc

Artists must be sacrificed to their art. Like bees, they must put their lives into the sting they give.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #1917
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux ..."

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #1918
kennyc

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.
- Oscar Wilde
from Goodreads today In celebration of Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #1919
kennyc

The great secret of doctors, known only to their wives, but still hidden from the public, is that most things get better by themselves; most things, in fact, are better in the morning.
- Lewis Thomas

Born 11/25/1913 (not quite 100 years ago )

Lives of a Cell is wonderful:
http://www.amazon.com/Lives-Cell-Not...3866113&sr=1-1

Last edited by kennyc; 11-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1920
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
There is always more for the heart to learn.
- James Church, A Corpse in the Koryo
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote