Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did use the URL in the ACSM file to download the epub. And while it sort of seemed to work, it didn't really work. ADE was unable to open the book. It said the download was incomplete. So using the ACSM file to download from without ADE does not actually work.
Hmm. it did work for me, I was able to open the file and I did compare the downloaded file to the original, they where the same size.

Did you use an existing acsm file or did you re-download the file?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I just validated HarryT's claim.

The ACSM file is a textfile with the URL of the PDF or ePub. Just point your browser to the URL in the ACSM file and it will download the book. It did download the correct eBook.

The one thing I have not tried is to download the eBook on a pristine purchase e.g before downloaded the eBook with ADE. There might be some authentication there but I don't know.

=X=
The last time I tried this the downloaded epub file was not openable in ADE.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieV View Post
What I have not been able to do in Linux is find a way to authorize your Sony Reader with Adobe. ADE under Wine doesn't seem to recognize that I've plugged it in. Nor is it recognized if I run ADE under Windows XP in VirtualBox. So, to authorize my Sony Reader, I had to use a Windows computer.
Did you have eBook Library installed? ADE needs a dll installed by eBook Library to talk to the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
RichieV
RichieV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Did you have eBook Library installed? ADE needs a dll installed by eBook Library to talk to the Reader.
Yes I did.

Running XP under VirtualBox, I installed both Sony's eBook Library software and ADE, but neither software will recognize the reader. It looks like VirtualBox won't even allow me to pass the Sony Reader USB device through to the guest XP operating system.

Under Wine, I installed the Sony eBook Library software, but it doesn't seem to even want to run. And, while I can run ADE under Wine, ADE doesn't recognize that my PRS-505 is plugged in. I don't know if it's because ADE isn't using the dll that you've mentioned, or if it's because Wine isn't passing through to ADE that the Sony Reader is attached.

So, yeah...I haven't had much success in this regard. But then again, I'm still dipping my toe in these Linux waters, and so just because *I* haven't been able to do it doesn't mean that it can't be done. Hopefully, if it can be done, someone will enlighten me as well as other Linux users in the same situation. Or, if it is indeed a current impossibility, perhaps the new Sony Library software, once it comes out, will prove to be more cooperative.

--Richard
RichieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It cannot be done. Because what happens is that the ePub is downloaded and then encrypted. ADE things the ePub you've manually downloaded is an incomplete download so it wants to download it again. And if you try to open that ePub in eBook Library to view it, you get an error. So no, it doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
linux, prs-300, sony e-reader