Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
How many pdf's is an apparently senile 60 year old man reading anyway?

Also, you may want to refer your friend to Calibre, it's a veeery easy to use program that anyone can use to convert programs and skip the annoying email step
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That's one of the benefits to having cats, they love to eat trolls, rats, mice, and other vermin.
I love My cat so much I got him a German Shepperd to play with
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
And, as someone who will be 60 in a couple of months, I am rather amazed that apparently you think anyone over the age of 30 is a bit of an idiot and incapable when it comes to technology!
Yes, I get that attitude a lot. It always amuses me to demonstrate that I probably know 100x as much about technology as the person who's talking down to me .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
How many pdf's is an apparently senile 60 year old man reading anyway?

Also, you may want to refer your friend to Calibre, it's a veeery easy to use program that anyone can use to convert programs and skip the annoying email step

Calibre is great at many things and I love it, but it sucks for pdf convert (removing header and footer, page numbers). I was lazy and actually used calibre to convert multiple pdfs and result sucks and is very annoying. To have a good result you need to use other programs (I had one installed but don't remember it now) and do it one by one. Anyone know of a program to convert multiple pdfs? To at least set convert space for a few books and then press convert them all instead of choosing conversion space converting a pdf and repeating.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post

And, as someone who will be 60 in a couple of months, I am rather amazed that apparently you think anyone over the age of 30 is a bit of an idiot and incapable when it comes to technology!
My Mother is 78 and actually does quite well with technology.

I wish my Dad was still around, he would have loved all these new toys.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Dunno why you guys are feeding this idiot.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I get that attitude a lot. It always amuses me to demonstrate that I probably know 100x as much about technology as the person who's talking down to me .
Well Harry gee, I mean Bill Gates is "only" 55 years old. You advanced aged people are obviously a completely technologically inept bunch.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well Harry gee, I mean Bill Gates is "only" 55 years old. You advanced aged people are obviously a completely technologically inept bunch.
Bill and I are about the same age. As you say, what can such old crocks as us know about computers?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Calibre is great at many things and I love it, but it sucks for pdf convert (removing header and footer, page numbers). I was lazy and actually used calibre to convert multiple pdfs and result sucks and is very annoying. To have a good result you need to use other programs (I had one installed but don't remember it now) and do it one by one. Anyone know of a program to convert multiple pdfs? To at least set convert space for a few books and then press convert them all instead of choosing conversion space converting a pdf and repeating.
PDF sucks as a source format. Period. It's a destination-only format.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The best way to convert PDF to another format is often to use an OCR program.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #26
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Question: when I email a pdf to my Kindle and request that Amazon "convert" the file, is that "reflowing"? Or is reflowing something else entirely?
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Question: when I email a pdf to my Kindle and request that Amazon "convert" the file, is that "reflowing"? Or is reflowing something else entirely?
No, that's converting it to Mobi format.

PDF reflow means taking a PDF page that was designed for a large screen, and rearranging the words on it so that it all fits onto a smaller screen. This can be done reasonably well for plain text, but tends to fail big-time when the layout is more complex.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
reflow just lets you read pdf comfortable. You could compare it to notepad function - word wrap - it makes words fit the screen without shrinking the text. Then the words don't fit in the screen they are put in another line. It makes pdf very easy to read on a small screen, just like epub, mobi.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Stickybuns, what you're describing is converting a file from pdf to mobi. Reflow means that the device is able to "break up" the layout of a pdf file. Normally pdf files are of a "fixed format" in comparison to the flowable formats like mobi and epub where you can adjust the font size.

Edit: ups, to slow, sorry!

Last edited by Billi; 10-01-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibex333 View Post
We are talking about a 60 year old man here... He doesn't know how to deal with this shit
And yet there you are, elsewhere on the forums, seeking information on rooting your nook When you're trolling, atleast do a good job job of trying to mask your true intentions.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote