Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What Travel/Adventure book will enthrall us in March?
The Last Days of Old Beijing: Life in the Vanishing Backstreets of a City Transformed by Michael Meyer 10 25.64%
Wild by Cheryl Strayed 10 25.64%
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 13 33.33%
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce 7 17.95%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 13 33.33%
In an Antique Land: History in the Guise of a Traveler's Tale by Amitav Ghosh 9 23.08%
Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer 10 25.64%
Endurance by Alfred Lansing 7 17.95%
River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard 8 20.51%
In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #76
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, it looks like it's going to be Verne or Bryson. I doubt Wild will win even though it should.
I prefer travel books that are more about the place than the traveler; several of the nominated books meet that criterion, but not Wild.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I was just reading some reviews of Wild and you actually came to mind. I was reading along and I thought to myself, "Issybird would really hate this book!"
Why would that be?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I prefer travel books that are more about the place than the traveler; several of the nominated books meet that criterion, but not Wild.
Rand McNally has some books for you.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I was just reading some reviews of Wild and you actually came to mind. I was reading along and I thought to myself, "Issybird would really hate this book!"

Truth.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #80
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Project Gutenberg has the 1991 unabridged translation of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas by Frederick Paul Walter.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2488

EDIT: Oops, it looks like Harry's epub here at mobile read is this translation.

Last edited by BenG; 02-26-2013 at 12:51 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Now we get to have a run-off vote.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #82
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Now we get to have a run-off vote.
Yep....
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the link for the 3-day run-off poll:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206896
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #84
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Why would that be?
Well - it was firstly because Issybird said up front that she wasn't interested in "navel gazing" travel books and many of the reviewers seemed to criticise this book for exactly that reason.

Also - the woman herself. Now I gravitated to the more negative reviews which was possibly a bit unfair, but sometimes I like to read the trash on something first. Some of the emphatic complaints about this woman and what she didn't manage to learn, her convenient self-justifications for her poor choices and her apparent lack of control when it came to - well - anything, combined with an lacklustre writing style had me thinking that I could hear something. I couldn't work out what it was for a while, but I eventually realised it was the sound of Issybird grinding her teeth.

Of course it may be a brilliant book - I don't have any argument there. It's just what came to mind when I was reading some of the criticisms.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #85
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I can't see any mention of it in this thread, so, just in case it fools anybody, please be aware that the Bill Bryson book is called Down Under in the UK, not In a Sunburned Country.

I assume it's called Here in Australia?
And the German publishers found a third nice title:

Frühstück mit Kängurus: Australische Abenteuer = Breakfast with kangaroos: Australian adventures.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #86
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
And the German publishers found a third nice title:

Frühstück mit Kängurus: Australische Abenteuer =
Breakfast with kangaroos: Australian adventures.
I've heard they taste like chicken.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #87
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've heard they taste like chicken.
They don't.

I quite like kangaroo meat.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I, Robot here we come.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #89
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Issybird would be so right. I just got the digital loan of Wild today and this obsessive/compulsive who must finish every book could not stomach more than the first couple dozen pages.

I'm an experienced backpacker and wanderer of wilderness. Few people are as frustrating as those who go ignorant and unprepared into back country expecting to be rescued by the kindness of strangers. They put at risk anyone who stumbles across them. I'm afraid the author may actually encourage fools to follow her example.

After years of working in Death Valley NP I am perhaps over-sensitive to this type of idiot. But I'm so happy this book lost.

Maybe this should have gone into the Rant thread.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote