Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Cartaphilus
Cartaphilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Won't Convert Valid .doc File

I have a file I downloaded in .rar format. When I tried to convert it, Calibre told me it couldn't find a valid format. I un-rar'd the file into its .doc format and tried to convert it, but got the same error. When I tried to open the .doc with OpenOffice, it opened perfectly.

I actually downloaded 15 files from the same source. Five of them converted OK. Ten had the problem I just described. The ten failures were all in .doc format.

One set of the offending rar/doc sets is attached. I'd appreciate any help.

TIA...

Moderator Note:

Attachment deleted. This is a copyrighted book; you must not upload copyrighted material to MR.

Thank you.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-26-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Cartaphilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
II actually downloaded 15 files from the same source. Five of them converted OK. Ten had the problem I just described. The ten failures were all in .doc format.
Just a guess: the ones that didn't convert were in real Word DOC format, and the ones that did were actually in RTF format, although they had a .doc extension? The one you sent was a real Word DOC file, and Calibre doesn't support that. Just save the offending ones as RTF, and feed those to Calibre.

I've had that happen to me as well.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
EstherJH
EstherJH has learned how to read e-booksEstherJH has learned how to read e-booksEstherJH has learned how to read e-booksEstherJH has learned how to read e-booksEstherJH has learned how to read e-booksEstherJH has learned how to read e-booksEstherJH has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I recognize this problem as well. As mbovenka says, you need to save them as RTF and then load them into Calibre. That should fix the problem.
EstherJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Cartaphilus
Cartaphilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dog-he said-gone! That was it. I just saved one of them as an .rtf and it converted just fine. I'm a relative newbie to Calibre (and fast becoming a devotee of St. Kovid...) and I've downloaded a lot of files with a .doc extension that haven't given me any trouble. So they must have been .rtfs masquerading as .docs. That lead me to believe that .docs worked just fine.

Thanks to both of you for the pointer.
Cartaphilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
So they must have been .rtfs masquerading as .docs.
Most likely the files were created with Wordpad. It claims to support .doc files but it just saves as rtf and uses the .doc extension.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert