Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
fixing a margin

I got an drmn-free indy published book in mobi format. It has a really wide left-hand margin.

In Convert Books>page setup, I have margins set for 5 pts, but this is much more than that. Running a convert books doesn't do the job.

I converted to epub and exploded the book, but the css doesn't list a huge left margin.

I've never gone in and edited a book before. Can someone walk me through the steps needed to get rid of that huge left margin?

thanks!!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ETA I used Mobi unpack, and looked at the resulting HTML, couldn't find any place where the maragin or indent was set. i'm not sure what else to look for.
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please post the CSS of the Mobi > ePub conversion. Maybe someone can see something you've missed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard

page_style.css

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}

Attached is the longer .css, and also the exploded mobi file.

thanks!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

it won't let me attach a .css file or the exploded mobi file as html. should I attach the original mobi file so someone can look at that?

Spoiler:
.bold {
font-weight: bold
}
.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 0.75em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0
}
.calibre1 {
display: table-row;
vertical-align: middle
}
.calibre10 {
color: blue;
cursor: pointer;
text-decoration: underline
}
.calibre11 {
color: blue
}
.calibre12 {
border-bottom: 0;
border-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0.5em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0.5em;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 1.5em
}
.calibre13 {
font-size: 1.5em;
line-height: 1.2
}
.calibre14 {
text-align: left;
text-indent: 3em
}
.calibre15 {
color: inherit;
cursor: inherit;
text-decoration: inherit
}
.calibre16 {
height: 2em;
padding-top: 0
}
.calibre17 {
height: 1em;
}
.calibre18 {
margin-left: 2em;
text-indent: 1em
}
.calibre19 {
text-indent: 1em
}
.calibre2 {
display: block
}
.calibre20 {
}
.calibre21 {
height: 121px;
width: 76px
}
.calibre22 {
height: 129px;
width: 81px
}
.calibre23 {
height: 86px;
width: 270px
}
.calibre24 {
height: 84px;
width: 266px
}
.calibre3 {
color: white
}
.calibre4 {
font-size: 0.75em;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
text-align: justify
}
.calibre5 {
}
.calibre6 {
margin-left: 2em;
margin-top: 0
}
.calibre7 {
}
.calibre8 {
font-size: 1em
}
.calibre9 {
height: 92px;
width: 290px
}
.cbjbanner {
-webkit-border-radius: 8px;
background: #eee;
border: thin solid black;
margin-left: 1em;
margin-right: 1em;
padding-left: 1em;
padding-right: 1em;
}
.cbjcomments {
font-family: sans-serif;
}
.cbjcontent {
display: table-cell;
padding-bottom: 1px;
padding-left: 1px;
padding-right: 1px;
padding-top: 1px;
vertical-align: inherit;
width: 67%
}
.cbjfooter {
font-size: 1em;
text-align: center
}
.cbjheader {
border-collapse: separate;
border-spacing: 2px;
display: table;
text-indent: 0;
width: 100%
}
.cbjkindlebannerhr {
border: 1px inset;
border-bottom: 2px solid black;
border-left: 0 solid white;
border-right: 0 solid white;
border-top: 0 solid white;
color: gray;
height: 2px;
margin-left: 10%;
margin-right: auto;
width: 80%
}
.cbjlabel {
text-align: right;
vertical-align: inherit;
width: 33%
}
.cbjpubdata {
vertical-align: inherit
}
.cbjseries {
font-size: 1em;
}
.cbjtitle {
font-size: 1.5em;
font-style: italic;
line-height: 1.2;
}
.description {
}
.italic {
font-style: italic
}
.mbppagebreak {
}
.metadatadivider {
border: 1px inset;
border-bottom: solid black 1px;
border-left: solid white 0;
border-right: solid white 0;
border-top: solid white 0;
color: gray;
height: 2px;
margin-left: 5%;
margin-right: auto;
width: 90%
}
.title {
line-height: 1.2
}
.underline {
text-decoration: underline
}

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 06-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Look at your calibre6 style - it has a 2em left indent. I bet you a dollar your document has <blockquote class="calibre6"> in all your html pages.

You might want to edit your post to put the above inside a SPOILER tag btw to keep the thread readable.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I'd love to put it in a spoiler - how do I do that?

so if I fix the calibre6 style, how do I reassemble the files to get it back into one epub file?

(that 2em indent was also in calibre18 style - I fixed it in both places, rezipped the files, renamed to epub, and imported ... and it worked! you have no idea how smug I'm feeling right now.)

(I still need to know how to put stuff in a spoiler tag, though.)

((ha! I figured that one out on my own too! I've gotta be more adventurous in exploring things rather than just asking.))

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 06-29-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more information
Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you got it all sorted.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

no, really, kiwidude, you have no idea how pleased I am with myself. I've never delved this deeply into editing ebooks before, and have only a passing acquaintance with css. This is all still at the edge of being black magic for me... if I do this ritual, I get that result... but I'm slowly beginning to actually understand what I'm doing, which is much more fun.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
kiwidude

Well you should be pleased, you are undoubtedly way ahead of what most calibre users would ever do by diving under the covers to modify a book's css styles. Which means you are way more likely to be able to read the books on your reader formatted how *you* want them to look.

There is indeed a lot of voodoo involved with css/html rendering, particularly once you start banging your head against issues to do with styles inheriting and conflicting with each other, but you've made the most important first steps.

Have fun...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard

oh, I will, I will...

Thanks so much for hand-holding.