Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
rhaleblian
lorem ipsum ...
rhaleblian began at the beginning.

Device: Nintendo DS
Building for OS X

Hello,
I want to build an application bundle for OS X.
Regarding the setup command

python setup.py osx

This appears to invoke vmware to run a virtual machine. What is being run here?
Also, what is the role of the freeze commands?

-r
http://rhaleblian.wordpress.com/dsli...e-nintendo-ds/

Last edited by rhaleblian; 09-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.
rhaleblian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot build an OS X bundle directly from the source code. If you want to build calibre from source, I suggest using a linux vm. Building calibre on OS X/windows is a highly non-trivial excercise.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
rhaleblian
lorem ipsum ...

Hi Kovid.
I'm building under a linux VM, as the docs were quite clear on that (yes, someone read the docs). Building for a linux target via setup.py is working fine.

> You cannot build an OS X bundle directly from the source code

Is this to say there are steps that are not encapsulated in a step in setup.py? Is it being done by hand?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. You need a properly setup OS X environment to be able to build calibre, which must be setup by hand.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Thread Moved. The development thread is for calibre development not OS builds.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
rhaleblian
lorem ipsum ...

Thanks for clarifying the situation, Kovid.

It's true that I never mentioned here that I was modifying code. Otherwise I would have no reason to want to build Calibre, though.

A little backstory: I suggest Calibre to users of dslibris (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndslibris/), a book reader for the DS, since they need to use EPUB. Using Calibre myself on OS X, I started playing around with a prototype that follows the Apple idiom for the application menu. Having partially done that, I wanted to embed the changes into a bundle, without lookasides to a development area. So in this case it's no biggie to not be able to build an app bundle.

Now, I would sign on to documenting what the OS X build platform prerequisite is, and ways to possibly streamline it, but that would require some initial explanation from someone.

--cheers, ray

Last edited by rhaleblian; 09-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you wish to modify calibre code there is no need to build calibre, follow the instructions here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
rhaleblian
lorem ipsum ...

Yep, read that. I was serious about having read the documentation.