Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
nz7c
nz7c began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
Wireless connection from laptop to Nexus 7

I've set up calibre on my pc and calibre companion on my new Nexus 7. I've turned on the content server and wireless connection - both show ip address and port 8080. However, the nexus still will not recognize the wireless connection. Can someone provide a list of trouble shooting suggestions or a good link to do so? Thank you. I'm not a techy - just really want to get calibre working as my library manager on the nexus. Thanks in advance.
nz7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz7c View Post
I've set up calibre on my pc and calibre companion on my new Nexus 7. I've turned on the content server and wireless connection - both show ip address and port 8080. However, the nexus still will not recognize the wireless connection. Can someone provide a list of trouble shooting suggestions or a good link to do so? Thank you. I'm not a techy - just really want to get calibre working as my library manager on the nexus. Thanks in advance.
The best instructions are in the sticky thread Calibre Companion Android App: Information, Change Log, and FAQ. See FAQ question #1. Let us know how things work out.

One point: the ports should not be both 8080. That won't work. Make the content server be 8080 and the wireless connection be 9090.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
nz7c

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The best instructions are in the sticky thread Calibre Companion Android App: Information, Change Log, and FAQ. See FAQ question #1. Let us know how things work out.

One point: the ports should not be both 8080. That won't work. Make the content server be 8080 and the wireless connection be 9090.
I set the wireless to 9090 and all problems were solved - works beautifully. I do have two questions which have come up though and not sure what forum ask it in.
1) I converted 4 kindle books (from the same publisher - a series) from azw to epub format and sent to the nexus. One of the book conversions will not generate a TOC even though all 4 originated from the same publisher?
2) I cannot figure out how to create groups in Companian to allow sorting my books.
Thank you SO much for the help. I really appreciate it. Tim
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nz7c View Post
I set the wireless to 9090 and all problems were solved - works beautifully. I do have two questions which have come up though and not sure what forum ask it in.
1) I converted 4 kindle books (from the same publisher - a series) from azw to epub format and sent to the nexus. One of the book conversions will not generate a TOC even though all 4 originated from the same publisher?
The best thing to do is post the question in the calibre Conversions forum. There are people who monitor that subforum who are far more expert than I am in the ins and outs of conversion.
Quote:
2) I cannot figure out how to create groups in Companian to allow sorting my books.
I assume that you want a group that doesn't already exist (authors, titles, series, publishers, tags).

You create new groups by creating custom columns in calibre that contain the grouping data, and then telling CC to make a group from that column. For example, if you wanted to maintain the genres of your collection, you could follow the instructions here to create the custom column. You would then tell CC to make a group from that column by entering the lookup name (probably #genre) into the box found in Settings/Make groups for custom columns.

It is also possible to make groups for sony-like user categories as described here. However, this is generally useful only if you want to specify a non-default sort or rename the collection. If you want to do this, then you would enter the column lookup names in the smart device driver in calibre (preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins -> smart app). I recommend you go the straight custom column route unless you are familiar with how Sony's manage collections.
Quote:
Thank you SO much for the help. I really appreciate it. Tim
You are welcome.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
nz7c

Thank you again for the help - all my grouping is setup and works splendidly - much easier than anticipated. Still trying to solve the TOC issue but am pursuing in the Calibre Conversion thread. Your response was specific and to the point and I very much appreciate your taking time to help. Calibre Companion is an extremely useful app!
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The best thing to do is post the question in the calibre Conversions forum. There are people who monitor that subforum who are far more expert than I am in the ins and outs of conversion.I assume that you want a group that doesn't already exist (authors, titles, series, publishers, tags).

You create new groups by creating custom columns in calibre that contain the grouping data, and then telling CC to make a group from that column. For example, if you wanted to maintain the genres of your collection, you could follow the instructions here to create the custom column. You would then tell CC to make a group from that column by entering the lookup name (probably #genre) into the box found in Settings/Make groups for custom columns.

It is also possible to make groups for sony-like user categories as described here. However, this is generally useful only if you want to specify a non-default sort or rename the collection. If you want to do this, then you would enter the column lookup names in the smart device driver in calibre (preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins -> smart app). I recommend you go the straight custom column route unless you are familiar with how Sony's manage collections.
You are welcome.