Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Eddison, Eric Rucker: The Worm Ouroboros. v4. 22 June 2011

Initial attempt at Eric Rucker Eddison's "The Worm Ouroboros":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_Ouroboros

The 1922 publication date means this is in the public domain, I think.

Taken from here:

http://www.manybooks.net/titles/eddi...060602051.html

with plenty of my own additions, including some additional semantic metadata; nicely styled frontmatter and Chapter headings/ intro's/ poems; rather ropey cover page based on the 1922 flycover (if there is an artist out there willing to donate a proper cover, that would be much appreciated!); table of contents (of course!); "fancy" single and double quotes; decapitalisation of the first word of each chapter and addition of "dropped" characters; and a few typos fixed.

Note that the automatic addition of single quotes is problematic at the best of times and needs quite a lot of manual checking due to the ambiguity of apostrophes and single quote marks; in The Worm Ouroboros, things are even worse due to the huge amount of apostrophes all over the place ("'Tis", "'Twas" - even "it" often gets abbreviated to "i'"!). I've added all these as exceptions and given it a fair checking over, but if you find any that have slipped through the net, please let me know!

Edit:

v2

Sigh - another bunch of fixes, including missing poem formatting, plenty of manual single-quote fixes, and a slightly tweaked cover. Why do I always spot these things just after I upload?

v3

Fix a huge bunch of instances of "hath" coming out as "bath"(!). Probably some other minor fixes, there, too

v4

Don't hard-code font-sizes into common tags as it treads over user's reader settings; fix a bunch of instances of "Carcë" being rendered as "Carce"; when dropping a line beginning with a quote, drop both the quote and the subsequent letter. Thanks to shall1028!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Worm Ouroboros.epub (483.3 KB, 901 views)

Last edited by MrTeatime; 06-22-2011 at 01:48 PM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Thank you for this, my paper copy is beaten up to the point the cover is falling off so I'm happy to replace it with an e-copy.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Thank you for this, my paper copy is beaten up to the point the cover is falling off so I'm happy to replace it with an e-copy.
You're welcome I've just attached a new version, and uploaded an all-in-one version here:

http://www.etotheipiplusone.com/worm.../all_out.xhtml

for proof-reading. Please report any mistakes you find against that
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Wish I would have seen this before reading the Gutenberg version. It appears you did a really fine job on it.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
shall1028
Nameless Being

A few of fixes
  • Chapter 2: The Wrastling for Demonland the drop cap should be "H not just the "
  • Chapter 7: the chapter title should be Guests of the King in Carcë
  • In the CSS file it might be better not to use font-size: small or font-size: medium, etc.
  • Certainly the p.para and p.para_noindent should not use font-size: small (or any other setting that sets it below or above 100% or 1em) as I get to choose how big the typeface for everyday paragraphs is via my reader's settings
Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
MrTeatime
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Wish I would have seen this before reading the Gutenberg version. It appears you did a really fine job on it.
You're too kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
A few of fixes
<snip>
Updated; many thanks! Let me know if I've missed any
Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
QueenPepper
QueenPepper began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks for this!!