Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Automated deployment of Calibre

I looked but couldn't find anything about installation command line switches for Calibre, so I figured I'd ask. I probably just didn't have very good google-foo today.

I have multiple machines on this network that run Calibre, and I would like to automate the deployment of new versions. Does Calibre accept command line switches, and if it does, which ones are available. The goal would be to do a silent install by pre-accepting the terms of the license at the command line. This would allow automated deployment using Group Policy or even InTune.

Thanks,
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What OS? On windows calibre uses an MSI, I have no idea if that is automatable. On linux the only question the installer asks is where to install, and that can be suppressed,instructions to do so are on the download page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What OS? On windows calibre uses an MSI, I have no idea if that is automatable. On linux the only question the installer asks is where to install, and that can be suppressed,instructions to do so are on the download page.
Windows, either 32-bit or 64-bit. Msi's can be automated if the programmer provides support. The usual is to accept a /q for quiet, though there are other ways, such as "property=value" on the command line to pass in any missing or required value. But it does require support in the packaging of the MSI.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The calibre msi is generated with WiX. As far as I know it should work with /q, though I am no expert on windows installers.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I'll give it a try with the next version. However, it's likely to still be a problem since the installer requires administrative privileges. (I honestly can't see a reason why it should, and it's bad practice in this day and age, but it does require elevated privilege. )
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It requires elevated privileges since it has to install things in areas where users dont have the needed privileges. Not to mention that the installer has to work on all versions of windows from windows xp and up. Thanks to microsofts insistence on backward compatibility "this day and age" is pretty much irrelevant to windows.

If you want a non-privileged install, use the portable version of calibre, which does not require elevated privileges.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For the 64-bit version, you could draw a line in the sand. Since it clearly doesn't have to work with XP. (There was a 64 bit version of XP, but no one supported it, not even Microsoft.)

It appears that the /q works. Now to see if there are some intermediary switches that work, since I find a completely silent install a bit on the creepy side.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
There's an automatic updater floating around someplace in the forum for the 64bit version...

And the PortableApps launcher for Calibre also supports automatic updating but requires manual downloading of the portable package and that it is placed in same folder as the launcher. Be aware that you then also need to make provisions for the packaged version to be removed after upgrade or will trigger again on next launch (as long as the install package is there the launcher will keep 'updating')

Neither is totally automatic as the 64 bit updater needs to be launched separate to check for the update, and the portable versions needs manual downloading...
But both have the advantage of not being totally 'creepy'

FWIW: Both methods can be adapted to personal needs as both come included with their respective NSIS scripts

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Oooh, I like it. And I can tweek the NSIS scripts, so I can adapt this to also work on my few remaining 32bit machines.

Thanks!

Tags
command line, silent install