Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
spencerhealey
spencerhealey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Sony DPT-RP1

Hello!!

I am on the brink of buying a DPT-RP1 but I have one question. Hopefully someone with some knowledge can enlighten me.

I am curious to know how highlights and annotations are saved on the DPT-RP1 and how they function AFTER exporting them back to my computer.

Here is what I mean: If I open a pdf on my computer using Adobe Pro DC, I can highlight and annotate, but at any point I can "hide" all these annotations or I can even search by these. I know that I can do something similar on the Sony DPT-RP1 where you can view all your highlights, but I am hoping to get the same functionality in Adobe AFTER exporting my highlighted/annotated document from the DPT-RP1.

I am afraid that all of these annotations and highlights will actually become part of the pdf. What I mean here is that they will open on the pdf but they will not be distinct from the pdf in any way. This would mean I couldn't "hide" them or "search" them. (hopefully this part makes sense)

Does anybody happen to know the answer to this?

Alternatively: If someone wanted to email me a random pdf document that they have marked up/highlighted on their DPT-RP1 it would be greatly appreciated! That way I could just see for myself (and my wife) that the device works as I hope. (My wife wants to make sure I will use this device before I buy it, and this is my greatest concern).

Email (if required): spencer.healey@my.wheaton.edu

Thanks in advance
spencerhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
spencerhealey

I also realized after posting this that someone might be able to upload a pdf right to this page, with no need to email me.

I have attached a sample pdf for markup if anyone prefers to use that for testing/replying. But also, if someone just happens to know the answer then that is just as good. If any owner/user could weigh in that would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sample PDF.pdf (3.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 10-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
spencerhealey

Hi again! I found the answer to my question thanks to a youtuber named The Inktelligent

His youtube videos on the DPT-RP1 and the Onyx Boox Note Pro are very detailed. I asked him and he did a little research for me. I will copy his answer below, but I also recommend checking out his channel if you are interested in a very detailed review of these products. Here is a link to his channel.

His answer:
-------
Quote:
Hi Spencer!

Thank you for the supportive comments and it is really great to know these videos have helped people!

In regard to your question about the DPT-RP1, at least using an older version of adobe PDF viewer, I was able to hide the annotations and highlights on the PDF document once exported (by going to "Comments" > "Comment View" > "Hide All Comments").

However, when I closed the PDF, I was unable to save it. As a result, when I re-opened the PDF after closing it, the annotations and highlights showed up right away. So while it appears one can hide these while accessing the document, I'm not sure if it is possible to set the document to open with annotations and highlights hidden. UPDATE: I tried the same in Adobe DC reader, and all of the above held true. (however to hide the annotations and highlights in adobe DC reader it seems like one has to go to the side "Comments" icon > "Filter" icon > then click the "Hide All Comments" switch )
It is also worth mentioning here that one can delete both highlights and annotations on the PDF document once exported to a computer.

Another thing that's good to know is that one can also move annotations around the page once they have been exported to a computer. One can then save the document and the annotations will stay where they have been re-positioned to. One can also enlarge or shrink the handwritten annotations as well. It also is possible to comment on annotations and highlights.

In my experience trying to see if the annotations print when one prints the annotated PDF, I believe most printers will, by default NOT print these out. One usually needs to access the printer menu and select something like "print mark-up" option in the settings.

Hope that helps!

Tags
ereader, pdf annotation, pdf highlight, sony dpt