Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Borders releases ebook app for iPad/iPhone

A Borders app is now in App Store here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/borde...368067444?mt=8

I think this puts every major bookseller in the U.S. in the App Store, right? It's good to have choices!
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wonder if this means the launch of their website store is imminent. I just checked and it still says coming soon right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
A Borders app is now in App Store here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/borde...368067444?mt=8

I think this puts every major bookseller in the U.S. in the App Store, right? It's good to have choices!

Isn't Sony still a hold-out?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Isn't Sony still a hold-out?
I might have been on the Mac side a little too long but I don't consider them major players in the U.S. I had Borders in mind along with Amazon and Barnes & Noble for both physical and ebooks, plus Apple (iBooks), Fictionwise/eReader (Stanza and eReader apps), and Kobo in mind for ebooks only. Sony lets their ebooks play nice with only their reader and nothing else IIRC, while all of the above don't limit theirs to a device from a single company.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Sony lets their ebooks play nice with only their reader and nothing else IIRC, while all of the above don't limit theirs to a device from a single company.
This is incorrect. Any device that supports Adobe DRM can access books from the Sony store.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Txtr for the iPhone can read Sony books with DRM, according to one of our members in the Apple Discussion area...but Sony itself has not released an app...yet.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Sony lets their ebooks play nice with only their reader and nothing else IIRC, while all of the above don't limit theirs to a device from a single company.
B&N makes that, not Sony. Sony has an standard DRM, and you can open their books with ADE with no problem.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Books downloaded from the iBooks store can't be read on any other device other than an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch nor can they be liberated, AFAIK.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
My wife's iPad will now have more book readers than ebooks.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
macgirl
geeky girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
This is incorrect. Any device that supports Adobe DRM can access books from the Sony store.

Luqman
I stand corrected. I stopped researching the Sony ereader (back when I was considering and purchased the first Kindle) when I found that I wouldn't be able to load new books purchased from the Sony store on to it from my Mac (without having to install Windows). I'm still a little bitter about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Books downloaded from the iBooks store can't be read on any other device other than an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch nor can they be liberated, AFAIK.
True. And I hold that against them as well - I rarely buy ebooks from Apple though I'm a sucker for the free ones they offer. I prefer to buy my ebooks from eReader/Fictionwise since I can and do "liberate" those (and usually load them into iBooks so I can enjoy them again on my iPad).
Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
True. And I hold that against them as well - I rarely buy ebooks from Apple though I'm a sucker for the free ones they offer. I prefer to buy my ebooks from eReader/Fictionwise since I can and do "liberate" those (and usually load them into iBooks so I can enjoy them again on my iPad).
Ditto! Although lately I've been using Stanza for iPad exclusively. I loved iBooks until Stanza 3.0 was released!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
LOL...I bet she can't wait for the Brio to arrive so she can add one more to her collection.........of readers
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote