Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
I think it is the same. Anyway, it seems to have worked -- at least I've got it running again. I report if I still have problems with bookmarks and freezing, and I'll stay in FBreader since that seems to be the preferred one. I want to see if I can actually read a whole book with it now without having problems.
Hope it works.
When u use the FBreader its nice to use the newest 0.90 modified version.
Download here
unpack
the fbreader.app comes into system/bin
the share folder goes also into the system folder (for different languages)

There is a readme included in Eng

your PB will automatically start this 0.90 instead of the one in the rom. Then go to FBReader settings, a lot more possibilities. Absolutely worth it.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I think it is the same. Anyway, it seems to have worked -- at least I've got it running again. I report if I still have problems with bookmarks and freezing, and I'll stay in FBreader since that seems to be the preferred one. I want to see if I can actually read a whole book with it now without having problems.
If you're running 14.2 you shouldn't be getting freezes at all.
I went three months straight without one.
(Then I switched to 15.1 and got one booting up. Its stabilized a bit since then.)

Just wondering:
1- You did charge the thing overnight when you first got it, right?
2- Do you have way over 200 truetype fonts installed? (closer to 500?)

Cause unless you live downwind of a supernova 14.2 shouldn't be freezing at the OS level.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #18
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
I am still having trouble with bookmarks and freezing with the PB360, even after I did the "Clean slate" and "Erase internal memory" (in Maintenance). I'll be reading and then, once in a while instead of turning the page it will "freeze," i.e. go back to the start page. The bookmarks also disappear when this happens, and it seems to happen with AdobeViewer as well as with FBreader. This is beginning to tick me off royally. I wonder if it has something to do with the format of the books I've uploaded -- though I doubt it because they are converted by Calibre into Epub, which is not supposed to be a problem. Or is there another format that PB 360 handles more easily?

I was excited for a while about the dictionary thing, but now all I want is for the thing to keep my place while I'm reading. That doesn't seem like too much to ask. I must say this is rapidly turning me off to "ereading"...
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

U really seem to have a hardware problem with ur PB. As I just wrote in another thread. I read 4000 Pages till now with not even one freeze under 14.2.

BTW do u use a SD card installed, mine I use still without.
You should contact service, seems u really have a hardware problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I guess I've have to, because as I said above ("Bugs") it happened again today twice during 5 hours of simple steady reading.
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm wondering about the SD card thing, myself.
Do you have one installed?
If you get freezes without one on 14.2 then you definitely have a hardware issue.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
mdmorrissey
Addict

I do not have an SD card, and I definitely get "freezes," if by that you mean what I mean, which is that out of the blue, while turning pages, it goes out of the book completely and back to Start ("Bookland"). Sorry for my stupidity, but I don't even know where to look for the firmware identification. In Settings > Configuration > About Device it says:
Model PB 101, EB-500, Software version D101.14.2...so I guess that means I am running 14.2 and that I have a hardware issue. Damn, I guess I have to send the thing back.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Yep correct u are on 14.2. One other thing, did u try to re-install 14.2 again ?
Maybe a last chance.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I do not have an SD card, and I definitely get "freezes," if by that you mean what I mean, which is that out of the blue, while turning pages, it goes out of the book completely and back to Start ("Bookland"). Sorry for my stupidity, but I don't even know where to look for the firmware identification. In Settings > Configuration > About Device it says:
Model PB 101, EB-500, Software version D101.14.2...so I guess that means I am running 14.2 and that I have a hardware issue. Damn, I guess I have to send the thing back.
Okay, one last try.

A "Freeze" is when the hardware locks up and stops responding. It requires a press of the reset button to reboot and get back to the Top Menu.

What you are experiencing is a "crash" where the reading application encounters a fault and shuts down but the firmware is still running properly and you can re-open the book without a reboot.

The former is only caused by firmware bugs or faulty hardware. There is no other way to kill a robust OS.

The latter can be caused by either an application bug or by a bad data file.

All the suggestions we've provided relate to possible causes for the OS to crash.

But if it is the application that is crashing, other options exist:

- Installed Fonts.
- A corrupt reader app file
- A bad ebook file.

You say you are reading books you are converting with Calibre...
Try an epub book or two that *isn't*.

Try something from the Mobileread ebooks section or a Baen Free Library ebook (those work beautifully for me) or maybe from Munseys.com or some other place. A "known good" file. From the BAEN library, I know Eric Flint's 1632 is a good file that displays beautifully on my PB360 in both Adobeviewer and FBreader. If a clean PB360 crashes reading that file (and its a free download) then you definitely have sick hardware. (And really bad luck.)

Hopefully it'll turn out to be an odd Calibre setting (font-embedding or something).

Another thought: if you have access to a data card, move the test file in via test card, *not* via USB.
Just a wild hunch. Probably meaningless.
(What is your PC setup? Windows? Mac? Linux?)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #25
mdmorrissey
Addict

Thanks, fj. Ok, I am learning the terminology at least. I'm not freezing but crashing. Hence it is a software problem, either with the pre-installed readers or the ebooks I have uploaded. Right?

I'm using Windows, and Calibre converts to PB 360. To epub. I don't set any fonts or anything, just run the conversion.

Windows XP.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

That is about as clean a setup as possible.
If you get the same problem with a commercial-grade ebook (try the places I listed--they-DRM free and cost-free; 1632 is fun read anyway) then it has to be a hardware issue.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
I don't have a PB360 yet, but I am going to get one soon.

I have similar experiences with epub crashing my Sony PRS-505 before. That device is very stable until I come across one epub file. This epub file was converted from html to epub using Calibre.

After some investigation, I found that my html file is not "clean" enough. There were some hidden html code that translate to epub causing the device to crash. So, I removed the hidden code with word, re-convert the html file to epub using Calibre. When I tried to read that epub file with PRS-505 again, there were no more crashes.

There may be a similar problem with your epub file. Have you try reading another file? One that you know is definitely clean?
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #28
mdmorrissey
Addict

I sent my PB 360 back for repair after talking with Waldemar Luft, who said the problem was known with regard to 15.1/2 but not with 14.2 (which is the only firmware I have been using), so that I should send it back. Since it only happens occasionally, it would take an awful lot of page-clicking to find out what sort of files it happens with. I am reassured, though, to know that it happens with the PRS 505 too.

Now the big question, doremifaso: How do you remove the hidden html code with Word? What if it's a PDF? Surely we do not want to be restricted to using only epub files that we know are "clean" -- that would defeat the whole purpose of an ereader. We want to be able to read whatever we like. If I am going to have restrict my reading to epub that are "clean," it's not worth it.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #29
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
I am not sure how Calibre convert PDF to epub, but I believe the software may have convert PDF->HTML->EPUB internally, correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case, maybe there is some kind of formatting in your PDF files that got converted incorrectly, which causes the crash.

In my case, I have a html file. To remove the hidden codes, I used Word (Office 2007). 1) Under the main drop down menu, go to Prepare -> Inspect Document.
2) Click on Inspect and wait for the results
3) If hidden codes are found, click Remove All

I guess the epub format is still not mature enough. It's pretty hard to debug and edit the format. That's why it's troublesome sometime to make an epub file clean.

Do you have another device you can try your epub files on? If those files also cause that device to crash, then you know it's the epub files problem. If not, it would be PB360's problem.
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
mdmorrissey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doremifaso View Post
I am not sure how Calibre convert PDF to epub, but I believe the software may have convert PDF->HTML->EPUB internally, correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case, maybe there is some kind of formatting in your PDF files that got converted incorrectly, which causes the crash.

In my case, I have a html file. To remove the hidden codes, I used Word (Office 2007). 1) Under the main drop down menu, go to Prepare -> Inspect Document.
2) Click on Inspect and wait for the results
3) If hidden codes are found, click Remove All

I guess the epub format is still not mature enough. It's pretty hard to debug and edit the format. That's why it's troublesome sometime to make an epub file clean.

Do you have another device you can try your epub files on? If those files also cause that device to crash, then you know it's the epub files problem. If not, it would be PB360's problem.
Thanks, I'll experiment with Word 2000 when I have time since according to this it should be possible though I've never tried it. As I said elsewhere, I've already sent it back because I'm not going to spend hours paging through hundreds of pages of epub documents to find out where the problem is. I am hoping the PB people will do so. They should.