Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
The iPad looks pretty cool, but I'm having trouble seeing this as a Kindle killer, as people are already writing. It's significantly thicker and heavier, has a backlit screen that will likely cause eyestrain, measures battery life in hours instead of days and you're going to have to pay for a wireless plan.

I guess we'll see.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
jessme7
jessme7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Oh, I did not know that they want us to pay for a wireless plan!!?! I thought it would just work like a Kindle with 3G. hmmmm
jessme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just watched an interview with "wired" and "ARS (something something). the guy from wired appeared to be very underwhelmed and "Jackie Cheng" (probably misspelled) seemed uncomfortable, but while saying it was fun to play with, the Kindle was certainly a better reading machine.

I'll pass on the maxipad
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm still holding out for the Que and everything from Pixel Qi. I already have an iPod Touch, don't need another one.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #20
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessme7 View Post
Oh, I did not know that they want us to pay for a wireless plan!!?! I thought it would just work like a Kindle with 3G. hmmmm
No way data could possibly be free. People will stream music, video, etc, over the wireless network. Thats gigs of data compared to a few megs a month of eBooks.

This device is a large iPod touch. Don't be fooled. It's no e-ink reader.

Everyone was going nuts saying this device (when rumored) would be the Kindle killAR! Well, it arrived today with a standard LED backlight screen. Just like a regular computer screen. No way I'm reading chapter after chapter on that. I hate reading on my mac as it is.

Now if they used the Pixel Qi screen everyone claimed "was in short supply because of the rumored Apple Tablet" then it may threaten the Kindle.

So, Amazon continues to win because iPhone apps (including the Kindle app) will work on the iPhad.

It's a nice large iPod. Neat and all, but FAR from the "Kindle Killer" it was rumored to be.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post

So, Amazon continues to win because iPhone apps (including the Kindle app) will work on the iPhad.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
ConnieL429
ConnieL429 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I read the live blog on the iPad and watched a demo video. Slick device but I wouldn't write off the Kindle to soon. I for one, still prefer it. For one thing, the communications on Kindle is free unlike the iPad. Also, I bought the Kindle because I wanted a dedicated eBook reader which it is and the iPad is not. The low end iPad is twice the cost. It's a slick device but I have a smart phone that gives me a lot of that so why pay min $500 plus data for all the xtras? Besides, I'm not so big on gaming and music these days. About the only way I even think of this device is if I suddenly come into a bunch of money where I can just throw $500 down. So... me and my Kindle will remain close friends along with Amazon which I believe to be one of the finest web sites going. As always, I'm sure Apple will have it's share of followers but I'll save my money for a niftier smart phone whenever I decide I need to scratch that itch.
ConnieL429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #23
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
This device would be soooo sweeet if jailbroken!! I have to admit I NEVER expected Apple to price this product so competitively. Compared to the reading-only devices (kindle DX, PRS-900, PL Que, etc.) this is a bargain w/ all its included features.

If they allow for Stanza and its diverse methods to improve reading on a LED screen (change color/font background, font size, brightness, etc.) to be used on the iPad (not to mention access to tons of free books online) competition will be stiff.

Last edited by Estuche; 01-27-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #24
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
relative to the iPad, the DX's price point is ridiculous....regardless of how you view the benefits of eink.

Last edited by markbot; 01-27-2010 at 11:05 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #25
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I swear Amazon must be monitoring my posts....or they have my twin in their strategy group because they just lowered the DX price.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #26
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Does this device need to have a thread or several on every forum? This is a Kindle forum, as far as I know... I annoys me... I'm not interested.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #27
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is an "Ignore Thread" button somewhere...top right, I think (I'm on the mobile site at the moment, and can't see). Use it wisely.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #28
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Gizmodo has a review up, and all the points that they make are pretty valid. If all that is true, the iPad is definitively not for me. And to add insult to injury, that puny battery life is a joke.
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #29
ReadsEbooks
ReadsEbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
relative to the iPad, the DX's price point is ridiculous....regardless of how you view the benefits of eink.
I second that. I was about to sell my Kindle 2 for a DX soon, now I think I just may hold back on the DX because the iPad (agree it's a horrable name) seems to do much more for just a little more.
ReadsEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #30
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Amazon has open to make a pre-order about IPad ohhh everything move so fast since it's unveiled for a few hours !
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote