Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #46
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
hmmm... the reading progress option in the menu is greyed out for me.
is this normal?

i have a feeling a few months ago i disabled the reading timer tracking, or something, with a command i typed over ssh. i might be wrong, since i can't find what i typed on this forum, so maybe i was just imagining it.

but i think i disabled or stopped something to do with the reading progress. could anyone 'help'? i appreciate it.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
@zxczxc https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190843
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #48
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
twobob, according to ixtab, JBPatch will not be supported beyond 5.3.4, but you say that 5.3.9 is "(SAFE FOR JB)". I think I realize that in your title, JB only means the jailbreak itself, but...

Does JBPatch work on 5.3.9 but is not supported or does it not work at all or...

Somebody please unconfuse me. (sigh)

Thanks.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #49
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it doesn't work. And No, I didn't mean JBPatch. Where JB means "Java Bytecode".

and as you can see in my message

Quote:
Installed Jailbreak Bridge.

Installed updater...

TESTED AS SAFE
I was referring to the Jailbreak.

Sorry it that wasn't 100% crystal clear.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #50
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
No it doesn't work. And No, I didn't mean JBPatch. Where JB means "Java Bytecode".

and as you can see in my message

I was referring to the Jailbreak.

Sorry it that wasn't 100% crystal clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy
I think I realize that in your title, JB only means the jailbreak itself, but...
Nah, only about 97%, and I really like crystal.

Thanks for the free reminder about Java Bytecode, too. I remembered it had something to do with Java and modifying the existing code, but the B threw me.

SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #51
twobob

Okay. to be extra crystal by JBPatch "doesn't work", what I should say is: "There are currently no patches written, nor any scheduled to written ever"

But it does "Work", assuming someone was insane enough to bother writing patches for such a "shifting sands" thing as the Amazon software layer.

Maybe when it becomes "End Of Life" it will make sense to revisit that appraisal. Like the kindle 3.4 for example. That is a prime candidate for preparing a few "long-term" patches for now. Also the DX etc...
Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #52
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
I think that, if really PW II function will be ported on PW I from Amazon, and a jailbraek will be found for new firmwares, they should be great candidates too for long term support. By now, no complaint at all about the great firmware 5.3.4!

P.S. Twobob don't risk too much to lose your PW with next updates, uh? Let other people go ahead... we need you alive and kicking on this device (jailbroken)! :P
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #53
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Quote:
No Panic

(I am considering burning that cable too... might make me feel better, if I didn't have to fish around in trash to get it, I would.)

EDIT: And yes it was an "original" cable. meh. for the record.
I've just read this comment... I have three amazon original cables, and none of the work well (to be precise, two of them don't work at all, one almost).
Currently I'm using my brother's phone cable to connect Kindles...
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #54
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
I've just read this comment... I have three amazon original cables, and none of the work well (to be precise, two of them don't work at all, one almost).
Currently I'm using my brother's phone cable to connect Kindles...
buy 'em in packs of ten (to 100):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-LOT-3M...item4174d5f93b

old school ones (round, not flat) are cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Color-M...81133054267%26
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #55
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
thanks for that, but that wasn't it.
i finally found it, i typed ;ReadingTime(r?)Off a while ago, so i simply did.. 'On', and for good meaure 'Reset', and i forget if i restarted my kindle, but then the reading progress under the menu bar was NOT greyed out anymore.

although... i tried to put it back to the way i had it before, since that way, it was 'locked'... like... it always showed the location in the progress bar, tapping it had no effect. i think getting the menu up, which now shows the time left in chapter, time left in book, and location etc, i think even that did not show when i had the readingtimeoff set.

maybe it was just a bug that if you had that set off, and upgraded, then it was like that. maybe i can't revert back to readingtimeoff again, since i want to have the progress bar hidden, but even when i show the progress bar via tapping the top of the screen and showing the menu bar etc, i still don't want to see the time left in the progress bar.

anyway, just writing this in case anyone else did what i did, ha.
thanks
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #56
akikara
Enthusiast
akikara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
i have Kindle Touch, when i tried to update i get "update error 3" :S

any help?
akikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #57
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by akikara View Post
i have Kindle Touch, when i tried to update i get "update error 3" :S

any help?
Did you select "Update your Kindle" or "Restart" from the menu? You should use the former.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #58
akikara
Enthusiast

i copied 5.3.9 bin to root of my k5 and then settings update your kindle. get the same error after reset too.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #59
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Oh, 5.3.9 firmware is for the Paperwhite (1st Gen). I believe the latest firmware for the Touch is 5.3.7.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

I thought you were installing the Jailbreak. My mistake.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #60
akikara
Enthusiast

thnx for the answer. No problem.