Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
hornster
hornster began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Is my nook a brick?

Sadly, I have bricked my Nook trying to softroot the device. The first attempt was successful, but I did not see the icons for the apps (trook, wifilocker, etc). I downloaded the software again from Rapidshare, flashed the device. Now the nook is frozen on "your device is starting up". Have attempted to re-install earlier software with no success. Any suggestions? Only had the nook for 3 days. Lesson learned the hard way.
hornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
Have you contacted Nookdev? They state on their site that if you think you've bricked your device to contact them and let them help you try to figure things out.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornster View Post
Sadly, I have bricked my Nook trying to softroot the device. The first attempt was successful, but I did not see the icons for the apps (trook, wifilocker, etc). I downloaded the software again from Rapidshare, flashed the device. Now the nook is frozen on "your device is starting up". Have attempted to re-install earlier software with no success. Any suggestions? Only had the nook for 3 days. Lesson learned the hard way.
Did you try to flash back to 1.0.0? And from there to 1.2?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

How long did you wait when it's frozen?

Power on and off six times (wait each time for a while when booting), so the recovery mode is triggered.

Bye
Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
hornster

Thanks for the above suggestions. Interestingly, the recovery mode did initiate after powering down the unit several times, but the unit still freezes.
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, hornster.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
NookDevs suggest this:

Remove battery.
Plug the device in via USB
Boot it up.

And then there's the firmware restoration: http://nookdevs.com/Softroot#What_if...e_island.29.3F
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
hornster

I think the problem is the device itself. Will continue to investigate.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
@ hornster

Did you resolve the issue?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
hornster

I received a new unit from B&N today (fast exchange!). First unit was defective. Thanks for asking. Side-loading books later this evening.

CHH

"Working hard is good; working smart is harder."

Last edited by hornster; 02-24-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: needed to update comment