Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadsEbooks View Post
I second that. I was about to sell my Kindle 2 for a DX soon, now I think I just may hold back on the DX because the iPad (agree it's a horrable name) seems to do much more for just a little more.
There was a tablet from CES that was better than the iPad. The Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid Tablet is anet book where the screen could be removed and used as a tablet. Regular keyboard when you want it, touchscreen when you don't, full OS with programs of your choice. Way better to me.

Edit: My YouTube link isn't working (I don't think it can be embedded) so go here.

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-28-2010 at 07:41 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #32
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There was a tablet from CES that was better than the iPad. The Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid Tablet is anet book where the screen could be removed and used as a tablet. Regular keyboard when you want it, touchscreen when you don't, full OS with programs of your choice. Way better to me.
That actually runs two operating systems. With an embedded one in tablet mode, no full OS. So just as limited if not more so than the iPad.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=54967
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
That actually runs two operating systems. With an embedded one in tablet mode, no full OS. So just as limited if not more so than the iPad.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=54967
Windows 7 (in netbook mode) and Linux (in tablet mode) are better than the the iPhone, OS IMO.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #34
deltop
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Windows 7 (in netbook mode) and Linux (in tablet mode) are better than the the iPhone, OS IMO.
Well it's not Linux though is it? It's an embedded verison of it called Skylight. One that has an app store in the same way that the iPhone OS does. Can't see it being anywhere near as popular as the Apple store. So you'd be very limited in the way of apps.

Having said that quality is more important than quantity so if Skylight ends up with even just a few apps that suits your purposes, such as a good epub reader, then it could well end up the better option.

At the very least more options are always good
Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #35
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Sorry it just a big iphone no need for that. If i need a new couch surfing gadget when my laptop worns out i will be tempted to get the iPad but until then its just a useless device.

Screen = failed (it will be so funny to see people reading it in direct sunshine)
Power = 10 hours? Maybe it will reach 8 hours in reality.
weight = Kindle DX is my limit when it comes to weight. Now the iPad is above that? Not for me

What else? Nothing important is known about iBook yet. So its even to early to speculate in my eyes. They can win in this point or loose royalie.

Amazon + whipsernet is far far away from perfect here but its ok for me. From my experience with apple i would suggest they will loose in this point for the first few years. When it comes to DRM and price they would like to get the money of the fanboys i could bet and introduce later a much more "open" system.

But thats speculation for the moment.

I am looking forward that with apple now showing up amazon will reconsider some points like pricing for non US residentials, images in newspapers and the offer of non english books. But i think it will depend on how "good" apple will show up with iBook. If they handle these points in a similiar way like amazon not much will envolve.

Last but not least i am not impressed at all ... its just a simple big iphone and you really have to be a apple fanatic if you don't have to laugh when they say "Wow look at this, how impressive this is how the internet should be" err like what? On a screen? Without flash? whats the point here? The Iphone was innovative this thing is just boooooring ... my 2 cents ...
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
I am looking forward that with apple now showing up amazon will reconsider some points like pricing for non US residentials, images in newspapers and the offer of non english books. But i think it will depend on how "good" apple will show up with iBook. If they handle these points in a similiar way like amazon not much will envolve.
That's why I'm thrilled to see the iPad out .
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #37
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
sounds like the same type of quotes i heard after the iphone launch

apple will sell out of these
I would add to that the same comments were made by many after the iPod launch as well. Anyone now claim that was a failure? There are always haters. Only TIME will tell. All other opinions are pretty much just opinions. You do know what they say about that.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #38
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
OK, I have waded patiently through all the learned comments, and no one has noted the great anomoly....the iPad is called a large iPhone, but it CAN'T MAKE A CALL!

G3 capable, and no call function? Toss in a Bluetooth headset, and you would have something pretty cool. Be able to talk and surf at the same time..and without a phone function, how do you text? So you have email capability but no texting capability?

Having said that, the potential to include audio and video in text content will very very engaging, and there is a platform that allows that to occur natively now. But I would still have to lug around a cell phone. And this makes no sense. You have the potential to have one device for reading, email, surfing and telephonic communication, and you can do two out of three. <sigh>

Yeah, Apple doesn't want to cannibalize its iPhone. But I doubt if they would. I think the two audiences would be completely different.

OH, well.... I am sure this was all discussed in Cupertino, so I am sure there are reasons why a phone function was not included. I am bummed, however.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #39
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
OK, I have waded patiently through all the learned comments, and no one has noted the great anomoly....the iPad is called a large iPhone, but it CAN'T MAKE A CALL!
Ah, it is not a phone, it is not supposed to be, it is not claimed to be, almost nobody would use it for that due to it's size. How is that an anomaly?

And most reviews have not called it a large iPhone, they have called it a large iPod touch.
That is much more accurate.

BTW, here is an interesting (and probably correct) take on the aspect ratio...

Aspect Ratio

In any case, for us Kindlings, it is good news if for no other reason than it acts as a cattle prod to Mr. Bezos. Maybe we will see a color touch screen Kindle a bit sooner as a consequence.

Last edited by CCDMan; 01-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #40
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Does this device need to have a thread or several on every forum? This is a Kindle forum, as far as I know... I annoys me... I'm not interested.
this is the forum where Kindlers discuss their take on the maxipad. there's one thread here and numerous threads in the News and Commentary. Our forum. Our thread. go be annoyed elsewhere
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #41
deltop
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
As others have pointed out it's a large iPod Touch not a big iPhone
Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #42
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Since the release of the iPhone and iPod touch it was always Apple's policy to ban software that duplicates the functionality of out-of-the-box functionalities of the device's system/software. Now Apple has iBook which would compete with Stanza and txtr. We will see whether Stanza and txtr will be available for the iPad in the AppStore in future. I hope so, but i'm afraid that Apple will block competing native reading software on the iPad.
That's a very good point. Steve Jobs did say 'every' app would be available on the tablet but we shouldn't be suprised if there is an asterisk attached about duplicate functionality.

As for it not making a call, don't be suprised to see Google talk and skype working on it. The lack of camera is a bit annoying, I wonder how long till we have video chat.

But overall this thing blows my Kindle DX out of the water. The battery life sucks, but with my usage pattern (use it on the way to work and use read maybe 2 hrs a day), it's enough. On a trip you would just take adapters.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #43
jessme7
jessme7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
this is the forum where Kindlers discuss their take on the maxipad. there's one thread here and numerous threads in the News and Commentary. Our forum. Our thread. go be annoyed elsewhere

Yea! I must say I really do like apple products. I have a Shuffle, Nano, iPhone, 2 MacBooks, and a Time Capsule. Since I recently got a Kindle2, and am very interested with the iPad release and what Kindler's think.
jessme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #44
CCDMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Steve Jobs did say 'every' app would be available on the tablet but we shouldn't be suprised if there is an asterisk attached about duplicate functionality.
Steve may have said that but the Apple's iPad "apps" page says:

"iPad will work with almost all of the apps designed for the iPhone....."

So there is your asterisk. Everything but the Kindle app and other readers maybe?

An even more interesting question is how do they ban a reader app from the iPad w/o also banning it from the iPhone and iPod Touch? That would be even worse.

Last edited by CCDMan; 01-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #45
Kit Coda
Kit Coda began at the beginning.

Device: Apple IPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I swear Amazon must be monitoring my posts....or they have my twin in their strategy group because they just lowered the DX price.
I predicted this yesterday in another thread. There was no way they could compete at their previous price level. I'm sure they took a hit in sales today.

The DX was my choice prior to the IPad, rather pointless to consider it at this time. I find 10 hours of power for reading more then I have time for anyway, in which case I'm also not too worried about eye strain on the IPad.

My final guess is that Kindel will exist for some time in the future although sales may be seeing their peek.
Kit Coda is offline   Reply With Quote