Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Are annotations transferable?

I highlighted, underlined and made some notes in an epub this weekend. But when I saved the epub to dropbox and opened it in other apps and also when I sent the epub to another device to read in iBooks - all the annotations were gone.

Are they saveable, or locked to the file that they are made on? Should I be able to start on an iPhone and pick it up later on an iPad or any other epub reader?

Thank you.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Marvin never modifies the epub itself. Annotations, etc. are written to Marvin's database which is not user-accessible (well, it actually is but you don't want to mess with it).

You *can* transfer annotations, etc. if you use Calibre and Marvin XD, the Calibre connector. No ebook reader but Marvin will be able to use Marvin's annotations, though.

I've not tried sending Marvin's annotations from Calibre to another device.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bummer. I'd like something that marks the file itself and then lets you use those markings elsewhere.

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
That's not the job of an ebook *reader*.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I'm interested in this also. It would make the reader usable in a classroom setting where you can highlight words to look up and notes for students to read and possibly write short answers.

I think goodreader will do this for pdfs but I don't know if goodreader does epubs.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
That's not the job of an ebook *reader*.
I make notes in my books when I read them. Paper and eBooks. A lot in the Kindle app.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
I make notes in my books when I read them. Paper and eBooks. A lot in the Kindle app.
@Shane R, @Philanthrop's point was that ebook readers, including Marvin, iBooks and the Kindle app, don't actually change the contents of the original ebook when annotations are created. The annotations are stored outside of the ebook, as are bookmarks and your last location.

In order to actually modify the contents of an ebook so that annotations would appear to be a permanent part of the text, it would be necessary to use an ebook editor, but it doesn't make sense to do that for a number of reasons - the same reasons that it doesn't make sense to store bookmarks or your last location within the book.

Some ebook readers are capable of synchronizing annotations among multiple devices. That feature has been requested for Marvin.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 11-27-2013 at 06:47 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I'm interested in this also. It would make the reader usable in a classroom setting where you can highlight words to look up and notes for students to read and possibly write short answers.

I think goodreader will do this for pdfs but I don't know if goodreader does epubs.
At this time, Marvin doesn't automatically sync annotations among multiple devices, but with a bit of effort and would be possible to manually accomplish it.

Here's how I'd go about it:
  • Create the annotations and highlights in the master iDevice (i.e., the teacher's iPad)
  • Extract mainDb.sqlite and the Documents folder from the master iDevice (note that this includes all of the books installed in the teacher's version of Marvin).
  • For each of the student iDevices, using iFunbox to copy the master mainDb.sqlite and Documents folder to the student's installation of Marvin.

At this point, each student would be starting with a clone of the teacher's copy. Then, you could assign the student to look up vocabulary words and create their own annotations, which could be individually exported by student.

Not an elegant solution, but possible.

G
Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Or have them connect their iPad/iPhone to the classroom's Calibre database and transfer the annotations via Calibre/MarvinXD.

Much safer than mucking with files and iFunBox

And that these would only be usable with Marvin should not be an objection. Students are used to acquiring required materials, so just make Marvin a requirement.

Last edited by At_Libitum; 11-27-2013 at 07:50 AM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Or have them connect their iPad/iPhone to the classroom's Calibre database and transfer the annotations via Calibre/MarvinXD.

Much safer than mucking with files and iFunBox

And that these would only be usable with Marvin should not be an objection. Students are used to acquiring required materials, so just make Marvin a requirement.
This is certainly easier and safer, but doesn't satisfy the OP's request to have the students be able to see the teacher's annotations in context of the book (at least as I understood it).

G
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
This is certainly easier and safer, but doesn't satisfy the OP's request to have the students be able to see the teacher's annotations in context of the book (at least as I understood it).

G
I may be missing something, but if the teacher syncs his annotations with the Calibre library via Marvin XD, wouldn't that make them available to everyone else connecting to that library to download that book (as long as they use Marvin XD)?

Or is that a one-way route? (haven't looked at Marvin XD in a while so I may be off the mark)
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
I may be missing something, but if the teacher syncs his annotations with the Calibre library via Marvin XD, wouldn't that make them available to everyone else connecting to that library to download that book (as long as they use Marvin XD)?

Or is that a one-way route? (haven't looked at Marvin XD in a while so I may be off the mark)
It's currently a one-way sync. Marvin XD extracts a copy of the annotations from the connected iDevice in HTML format and adds them to a custom column, but it can't send them back to a connected iDevice.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 11-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
You can also export annotations and import them into another instance of Marvin (say, on another device) by swiping the book to the left in the library, choose Share and "Export annotations".

An email will be created with an attachment that can be opened in the other instance of Marvin.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
You can also export annotations and import them into another instance of Marvin (say, on another device) by swiping the book to the left in the library, choose Share and "Export annotations".

An email will be created with an attachment that can be opened in the other instance of Marvin.

I will examine the annotation export as that may do the trick.

Thank you and everyone else.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
binone
binone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
It's currently a one-way sync. Marvin XD extracts a copy of the annotations from the connected iDevice in HTML format and adds them to a custom column, but it can't send them back to a connected iDevice.

G
Are there any plans to enhance Marvin XD to allow the annotations to be sent back to Marvin? This would obviously be hugely useful.
binone is offline   Reply With Quote