Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
So, who will take one for the team and buy the first unit?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #32
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
me probably as soon as I will get my hands on it. Have to save upfront though... and it once backfired on me to be an early adopter but oh well...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #33
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
That looks like a very attractive reader and might give the Sony T1 a hard time on the European market - provided they can deliver it for an attractive price.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #34
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Les numérique mentions a 130 euros for the odyssey. Don't know where they got that from, and it's don't make sense with the current orizon prices.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/fnac-se...ews-21518.html
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Les numérique mentions a 130 euros for the odyssey. Don't know where they got that from, and it's don't make sense with the current orizon prices.

€130 would make it very attractive, even if they keep their €1:£1 and set the sterling price £130 as well. €130 is pretty much the same price as the Kindle Touch would be if it was available over here, but with better screen technology and with proper physical page turn buttons in addition to the touch screen.

I wonder when they'll announce the price, so we can see if that €130 is right or not.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #36
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

I agree that the price sounds a bit low. But hopefully Bookeen will announce it soon.
Unfortunately, it looks like Bokus have stopped selling Cybooks . And Teknikmagasinet sells the Cybooks for the original price, despite Bookeen's price cuts
Edit: I was wrong about the Opus it is down to 999 SEK because they are clearing out their stock.
Hm.... I am sensing a trend.

Last edited by mikaelalind; 10-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #37
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The fast scrolling screen in that vid is awesome. If the Odyssey can do that, a lot of people will want one...Very nice for browsing and pdf handling. The future is bright for e-ink...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #38
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Pixmania.se is the store to watch when it comes to Bookeen if you're in Sweden. They've cut the price of the black Orizon down to 1309 Kr (about 144 euro) http://www.pixmania.se/se/se/7532878...-orizon-s.html
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #39
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I wonder how hard it is to get my hands on one from the U.S. once it's released. I don't necessarily need the fast scrolling options, but I'm dissatisfied with all my current options for epub readers. Side page turn buttons, epub, wi-fi, touchscreen, web browser to download from my cloud storage. Not a long list, but apparently impossible to fulfill! The Odyssey looks very sleek. I'm looking forward to reviews
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #40
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some more info. Still no prices or release date though.

http://bookeen.com/blog/cybook-odyssey-hsis/
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #41
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Looks interesting, but the main drawback appears to be that it uses a capacitive touchscreen, rather than IR beam detection. This would put the quality of the screen on a par with the old Sony PRS-600 (ie pretty poor contrast).
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Lancaster View Post
Looks interesting, but the main drawback appears to be that it uses a capacitive touchscreen, rather than IR beam detection. This would put the quality of the screen on a par with the old Sony PRS-600 (ie pretty poor contrast).
I beg to differ. A capacitive touchscreen is a transparent coating on the screen. This is very different from the resistive touchscreen "layer" that the PRS-600 had. I have several devices with capacitive touchscreens (iPhone, iPad); both have superb screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #43
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I beg to differ. A capacitive touchscreen is a transparent coating on the screen. This is very different from the resistive touchscreen "layer" that the PRS-600 had. I have several devices with capacitive touchscreens (iPhone, iPad); both have superb screens.
Okay, I stand corrected, and the contrast will hopefully not be affected. However, is it not possible that the coating adds reflection, and might still impact the display quality? Are there any existing e-Ink readers with a capacitive touchscreen?

The iphone/ipad comparison doesn't really help here as both are backlit and have highly glossy reflective displays, which makes assessing any impact the capacitive coating might have very difficult.
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It shouldn't affect the reflectivity, because the coating is on the underside of the screen. However, time will tell.

The Plastic Logic devices used a capacitive touchscreen. I'm not aware of any current production eInk readers that use them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It shouldn't affect the reflectivity, because the coating is on the underside of the screen. However, time will tell.

The Plastic Logic devices used a capacitive touchscreen. I'm not aware of any current production eInk readers that use them.
The orizon have a capacitive screen. (Well, it's sPix, not eink, but...)

I thought the sony screen (600), where capacitive