Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon: Kindle Previewer for HTML5 Coming

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...ype=tagsDetail

Quote:
You can already buy your Kindle books once and read them anywhere: Kindle, Kindle DX, Android, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PC, and Mac.

Soon, with the new "Kindle Previewer for HTML 5" that we are announcing today, you'll be able to sample Kindle books from anywhere. Kindle book previews will be available through your web browser-simply click a Preview button on an Amazon book detail page and a new browser window will open containing the preview. If at any point while you're reading the preview you decide you want to buy the full book, simply click the buy button and it will be instantly downloaded to your Kindle or any one of our free Kindle apps. Because the new previewer is designed specifically for HTML 5 and CSS3, the latest generation of industry web standards, Kindle Previewer for HTML 5 will offer a great experience, with complex layouts and graphic design, embedded audio and video where useful, and enhanced user interactivity. We are excited about this new feature and look forward to making it available in the coming weeks.

Please stay tuned for more details.
Great idea.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Amazon seems to be working to make a readers' hardware choice irrelevant to purchasing and reading Kindle books (as opposed to, say, iBooks). Which can defuse both the DRM objections and the "what if Amazon stopped making the Kindle" objections and make them largely moot points. Nice market move. If the reading hardware isn't an issue any more, consumer attention will focus on pricing.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Amazon seems to be working to make a readers' hardware choice irrelevant to purchasing and reading Kindle books (as opposed to, say, iBooks). Which can defuse both the DRM objections and the "what if Amazon stopped making the Kindle" objections and make them largely moot points. Nice market move. If the reading hardware isn't an issue any more, consumer attention will focus on pricing.
Yeah, I can definitely see that. Listening to Jeff Bezos talk Amazon, you get the feeling he is a long term big picture thinker. Getting the Kindle working on all major devices, not just eReaders, is definitely a move that will pay off long term and have a huge impact on how we buy books in the future.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Getting the Kindle working on all major devices, not just eReaders, is definitely a move that will pay off long term and have a huge impact on how we buy books in the future.
Makes me wonder if at some point he might not want to license out a pre-packaged Kindle app for competing ebook readers. It's easy to see why not *now* as most of the likely licensees come with unstable core firmware and the Kindle app is hardly a particularly feature-rich reader but as hardware prices continue their decline into blister-pack territory, it might not be a bad way to cover the very-low end of the spectrum. Let the asian oems do what they do best, crank out dirt-cheap gadgets, and skip the part that limits them; the software.

Some of this can be achieved via Kindle for Android but at the very low-end an app that goes straight to the hardware would be a better performer, especially for pure reader devices that won't need the full Android functionality (and performance overhead).

Theoretically, Amazon could actually *pay* the manufacturers a small fee to carry their app (instead of *charging* as Adobe does) which might allow the reader to sell at cost. It may be how we get to $49 readers.

(Yes, I'm thinking of the old days and AOL's business model.)

Things could get very interesting if Amazon gets serious about going for market share over profit margin.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for posting this, Kjk. I think it's a great idea - especially for those of us without wireless.

The only snag is that a lot of folk will have to upgrade their browsers before they can take advantage of it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
There's still one major drawback: you'll have to buy your books at Amazon, period. That's something that I, for one, am not willing to put up with. Just like it doesn't matter where I buy my paper books I refuse to be locked into a single ebook vendor; meaning I'll need a device that can use most of the available formats out there (if .azw is among them, all the better).
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Makes me wonder if at some point he might not want to license out a pre-packaged Kindle app for competing ebook readers.
Over a year ago, Bezos said he'd be willing to let other ebook devices use Kindle books, as long as the vendor was willing to fully sign onto Whispernet. I doubt anyone will take him up on the offer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres
Things could get very interesting if Amazon gets serious about going for market share over profit margin.
That's been Amazon's strategy for a long time now, and why they were taking a loss on many books by pushing the $10 ebook price point.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
There's still one major drawback: you'll have to buy your books at Amazon, period.
Why?

There's nothing to say you can't preview the books on the Amazon site and then buy them somewhere else.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the Kindle DX support epub files yet? Let alone DRMed ones? They grudgingly added support for PDF, I see.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
They are only previews, or samples, not the whole book.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
There's still one major drawback: you'll have to buy your books at Amazon, period. That's something that I, for one, am not willing to put up with. Just like it doesn't matter where I buy my paper books I refuse to be locked into a single ebook vendor; meaning I'll need a device that can use most of the available formats out there (if .azw is among them, all the better).
Odd. I have a Kindle, and I don't have to buy all my ebooks from Amazon. I can get DRM-free books from several places, and furthermore, Calibre is my friend.

A major drawback to one can be a minor hindrance to another, although YMMV. Sounds like your set in your ways. Are you a real librarian? I hope not, with your opinions.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Odd. I have a Kindle, and I don't have to buy all my ebooks from Amazon. I can get DRM-free books from several places, and furthermore, Calibre is my friend.
Same here only in reverse! I read Amazon books on my PRS-900 all the time! Calibre conversion of PRC->EPUB is perfrect. I see no reason why the other way around would work just as well.
When I shop for e-books I don't let thing such as supported formats stop me.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I thought it obvious that I was talking about major "real" books, copyrighted ones that are also sold in a hardcover edition. Practically none of them come without DRM. The Kindle uses their own proprietary flavor, and I am not aware of an easy & legal way to buy your books at, say, Barnes & Noble or one of the specialty bookstores and read them on a Kindle. So, yes, there's definitely a device lock-in factor to consider, that's the point I've been trying to make.

Quote:
A major drawback to one can be a minor hindrance to another, although YMMV.
Quite so.

Quote:
Are you a real librarian? I hope not, with your opinions.
Ah, you mean I should leave my views at the library door? Let's put it that way: they don't affect my work but I still have them, 'k?