Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd View Post
I can not speak for the rest of the series and any deals that may be made.

I know one issue is Terry owns the rights to some and TOR owns the rights to some of the latter works.
Can tou find out if the entire series is going to be published in eBook form?A lot of people are tired of book series only being partially released in ebook form (myself included). There are some that will not purchase any if the series is not going to be completed. This is important to find out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #167
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
I would also become very happy to get the all the ebooks in another format. I will certainly purchase the serie then.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #168
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
I'm certainly looking forwards to WFR in multiple formats (hopefully reasonably priced since I've already got it in PB) - but less enamoured of the sequels, which seem to lack something of the first novel's originality (and in the case of some of the later ones, can't remember which, they felt overly derivative of some of Jordan's novels).

That said, I'd be the first to applaud any author who's willing to support (with whatever degree of scepticism) the release of their books in e-book format... While I can understand some of the nervousness, my experience is that good quality, reasonably priced work doesn't need to worry about electronic media, DRM or otherwise - though I can see that the Publishers may need to consider streamlining operations in future...

p.s. Looking forward to the series, whenever it finally makes its way onto UK Terrestrial TV
p.p.s. Actress for Kahlan looks plenty attractive to me
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #169
Zedd
Enthusiast
Zedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
AS I said, I can not speak for the rest of the series.

When publishers start offering authors more then a small pittance for e-books you might see more.
Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #170
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

When publishers start offering authors more then a small pittance for e-books you might see more.
Small pitance for ebooks while publishers charge for them the same prices as for Hard Back editions?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #171
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
Quote:

Well, all the more reason for the author to make sure they retain the rights for electronic publishing - I suspect that they might have a better time self-promoting the e-books, and selling direct to the end customer... The publishers need to be aware of not pushing the authors away in the same way they need to keep the connection with their customers... (i.e. by not over-charging, or over-DRMing)
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #172
Zedd
Enthusiast
Zedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enoughZedd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKHaiku View Post
Well, all the more reason for the author to make sure they retain the rights for electronic publishing - I suspect that they might have a better time self-promoting the e-books, and selling direct to the end customer... The publishers need to be aware of not pushing the authors away in the same way they need to keep the connection with their customers... (i.e. by not over-charging, or over-DRMing)
except for the fact that no publisher will buy a book unless they get the e-book rights. So the authors have no choice anymore.

Probably why you would see more newer books in e-book form then older ones that the authors may still own the rights too.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #173
Zedd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Small pitance for ebooks while publishers charge for them the same prices as for Hard Back editions?
I have never bought an e-book, do they really cost the same 30+ dollars a regular hard cover costs?

And yes, an author gets a small percent of the sales. Not enough to really make it worth the time to do it.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #174
Tanellthyon
Tanellthyon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Honestly, this series was one of the main reasons I considered an eReader. I'd love to have it in digital format. Hopefully they'll come around. It's probably one of the most-requested eBook series ever....
Tanellthyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #175
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I have never bought an e-book, do they really cost the same 30+ dollars a regular hard cover costs?

And yes, an author gets a small percent of the sales. Not enough to really make it worth the time to do it.
That's pretty rare since Amazon entered the market and started charging $9.99 for most of their new releases. Prices have dropped everywhere. Before that, ebooks were commonly at hard cover costs or just a few bucks less.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #176
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Gang rape is democracy in action
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #177
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Thanks for posting that interview link. It saves me from the time I might have spent actually reading his books.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #178
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Thanks for posting that interview link. It saves me from the time I might have spent actually reading his books.
I'm sorry, but to what do you attribute not wanting to read his books. Did you read the full answer that included that line? He didn't say that gang rape was good or he approved of it. His point was that people don't always do the right thing because they are allowed to decided what to do.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #179
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The more common analogy for the flaws of democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting what's for dinner.

The gang rape one he uses just gives people an easy ad hominem attack on him and his libertarian views
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #180
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
He's an objectivist:

Quote:
Ayn Rand is the inventor of the objectivist philosophy. I consider her the greatest thinker since Aristotle.
and the gang rape sentence is grossly taken out of context. There's a long talk about objectivism, with T.G. describing in short this view, then more specifically about people who have faith (relligious, faith in "common good", etc.) and enforce their beliefs on others (objectivism is against that) and then there's a question about War on Terror, which he answers in this manner:

Quote:
There is no such thing as a "War on Terror." This is another example of philosophy corrupting action. You can't have a war on a name. "Hate crime" is another one of those things: either it's a crime, or it's not. Either someone is doing something wrong, or they're not. We're not having a war on terror, we're having a war on Islamic fundamentalism. We're afraid to name the enemy, and in [that fear], we give them strength. When you can't name the enemy, you've already lost. When you're afraid to see who it is you're fighting, you've already lost.

Take, for example, what we're doing in Iraq. The basic thing we're trying to do is enforce democracy. Democracy is a free-floating concept. There's no goodness [inherent] in democracy. Gang rape is democracy in action. Why should we enforce democracy? Why should we have Americans die so [Iraq] can elect a government who wants to kill us? It's stupid. Force should be used by a government just like it should be used by an individual: to prevent someone else from harm. That's the only valid, moral, ethical purpose of force: to protect your life. If somebody's trying to protect you, you should protect your life.

We have Americans dying over there to enforce democracy so that [Iraq] can vote to kill us. It's absurd. There's nothing holy about democracy. The sidetrack of adopting slogans like "making the world safe for democracy"... it's a free-floating concept; there's nothing good [inherent in] democracy. Democracy can be good if it's supported by other ethical values; justice, for example, and not hurting other people. But we're not enforcing a moral form of democracy; we're just supporting the idea of democracy in general, and there's nothing more about democracy in and of itself.
Someone taking one sentence out of 70 kB of interview certainly makes ma want to read his books; I get curious why T.G. gets attacked like that.

Also, he says he's been labeled as a fantasy author, and his story only happens in fantasy world - but its about people. So it might not appeal to fans of strictly fantasy, but rather to people who like to read about other people in general.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!