Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
SecondoMe
SecondoMe is on a distinguished road

Device: iLiad, DR1000, Cybook, BeBook
iLiad Book Edition slower than iLiad v2: different sw version?

Hi to all,
A couple of days ago I was able to try both iLiad Book Edition and "Standard" Edition. After a while I was very surprised to see that BE is noticeably slower than v2 in opening ebooks (the SAME ebooks) and directories. However, no differences were showed in flipping pages.

Searching for the origin of this behaviour, I discovered that two different software versions were installed: 2.12 fo iLiad v2, 2.12.1 for iLiad BE.

Do you know the differences between these two software versions? Moreover, if I try to update the iLiad v2 with iDS, no software update is detected.

Any hint on how to solve the issue in Book Edition?
SecondoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Some days ago I asked Karel from iRex about this (see his blog entry). He said the BE will run the same software, except for the wireless connectivity manager. Maybe that's the difference.

Well, that doesn't explain the slower speed of course...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I tried a Book Edition as well and I noticed two things:

1. The software versions were listed as the same and the book edition even had the wireless configuration setup in the settings.

2. Although I could request the shell access and it seemed to install fine, none of the hacks would work such as fullscreen ipdf.

Your mileage may vary
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Well, that doesn't explain the slower speed of course...
(unless it's a dirty hack and BE firmware keeps polling for WiFi hardware in the background )
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
A lot of the install scripts for the hacks will check the software version before they run though. If the script is looking for 2.12 and the BE is running 2.12.1, I wonder if that's what is causing the hack to not work. This issue usually comes up whenever iRex releases a new software version, the 3rd party hacks usually follow shortly behind with new installers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

I figured it was something similar to that. I didn't notice any speed differences between the v2 and the book edition, just the ipdf installation issue.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
@shaggy: Ah, good point. I wonder if we really need to check the firmware version.

@Mr. Goodbar: if I create a new set of ipdf installers that don't check the firmware version would you be willing to test them? Alternatively I could have it check for version 2.12.1
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

I've added a version of the installers set up for 2.12.1 to the same thread that has the 2.12 installers here. I'd be grateful if someone could confirm or refute whether this works with the Book Edition.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's probably safest to leave the check in place. Even if it doesn't matter now you know that Murphy's law says that as soon as you take it out iRex will come out with 2.13 that breaks backwards compatibility and people will start complaining that their old versions of ipdf won't run.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
daudi
Addict

Yes, I agree, and have added a set for 2.12.1. (Laziness was also an important part of the decision: it was less work to change the version number than to remove the code that checks for the version number )
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

I will pull them down shortly and check if they work on the book edition.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Bingo, the 2.12.1 versions of ipdf works just fine on the book edition. Thanks for making those changes. I may actually decide to keep this thing now!

An additional comment on speed and screen refreshes. I had noticed that the book edition seemed to refresh a little vaster than the v2, I thought it might be related to the different versions of ipdf I was using, but now that they both have the same version I would say that if definitely refreshes faster. I've been doing side by side comparisons for the past 10 minutes and there is a noticeable difference. I would guess around 25%. This is certainly not scientific, just me trying to press buttons at the same time, but it is definitely a little faster. This could be related to Karel mentioning they are now using Viziplex since q2. The background does appear lighter as well, but that could just be age differences between the screens. My v2 is about three months old. Any other questions let me know.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
daudi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Bingo, the 2.12.1 versions of ipdf works just fine on the book edition. Thanks for making those changes. I may actually decide to keep this thing now!
Thanks for confirming this.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Thanks for confirming this.
No problem, I appreciate the updates.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
This is certainly not scientific, just me trying to press buttons at the same time, but it is definitely a little faster. This could be related to Karel mentioning they are now using Viziplex since q2.
I don't think that's what Karel said. He said they tried putting a Vizplex screen on an iLiad (I'm assuming an internal development model in order to do testing) and that there wasn't much of a difference. As far as I know, the iLiad has never been sold with a vizplex screen.