Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
jimbbq
jimbbq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
creating a mobi file with hyperlinks.

Dear all

I want to create a mobil file with all quick URL links I normally use for my Kindle. I created a file in Word, convered it to PDF, then to mobi (using Calibre). But the hyperlinks did not work (not clickable in Kindle). What did I miss??

Thanks in advance
Jim
jimbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't know about the word to pdf to mobi (via Calibre), but I had similar problems trying to create a mobi with external hyperlinks. If you create an html file with external links, you won't be able to import it into Calibre. Calibre's html import function tries to gather all the files that the hyperlinks point to and add them all to a zip archive. If those hyperlinks point to external websites... the import will bomb.

I had to abandon Calibre entirely and create an html file, then convert it to mobi with the html2mobi script (part of MobiPerl) to get it to work. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to create a mobi file with external links... could be that MobiPocket Creator would work, but I've not used that program in a long while.
(Mainly because they don't have a Linux version)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
jimbbq

did not expect such a simple thing to be so complicated? Is there no easier way to do it??
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
scott h
scott h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
If you send a word document to your kindle email, it will convert the file. You should be able to put links in the word document. I will test that.

I send them to my free.kindle email so it never costs me anything, but it will only send it in wi-fi.
scott h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
jimbbq

maybe I am paranoid or something, I don't feel like sending my private files to Amazon!
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Don't ever convert to PDF. That's just asking for all kinds of converting trouble.

Create a clean, simple HTML file with clickable links. You can save your Word document as HTML only, if you must start out in Word, and do cleanup in Notepad++ or a similar text editor. Then use Calibre or Mobipocket Reader to create the .mobi file.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whitearrow is correct... I just tested it.
It must have been an older version of Calibre that wouldn't let me import html files with external links... most likely I was doing something really stupid and Calibre was protecting me.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbbq View Post
did not expect such a simple thing to be so complicated? Is there no easier way to do it??
Send your .doc file to your @kindle.com address. It will be converted to .mobi and the hyperlinks will work.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
jimbbq

thanks. I will give it a try!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yet another tip for quickly creating an HTML file for the Kindle. Create your HTML file in any editor you like, but then rename the file to have the TXT extension. For example, rename my-external-links.html to my-external-links.txt. An HTML file with a TXT extension is read by the Kindle as an HTML file. No conversion is necessary.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yet another tip for quickly creating an HTML file for the Kindle. Create your HTML file in any editor you like, but then rename the file to have the TXT extension. For example, rename my-external-links.html to my-external-links.txt. An HTML file with a TXT extension is read by the Kindle as an HTML file. No conversion is necessary.
When I tried this on the K1, it turned out that most HTML formatting was supported but hyperlinks and some other HTML bits were not. This may have changed on later Kindle versions.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This may have changed on later Kindle versions.
Hyperlinks in a html file (renamed to .txt) work fine on the K2.