Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dunsany, Lord: Don Rodriguez Chronicles of Shadow Valley. v1. 19 June 07

I still love Lord Dunsany's work. I like it for the sparkling prose, the romantic ideals of good vs. evil, and the wit in his writing. He's a beautiful writer of English prose. I re-read this novel every few years, to get in touch with my own humanity...

"Apparently, I'm not alone. Here's what one fan wrote:
This is the first novel by Lord Dunsany (aka Edward JMD Plunkett), a turn of the 19th/20th century author who was a pioneer in what was to become the genre of "Fantasy". His writing is some of the richest, most beautiful English I've ever read and his novels are a treasure for that reason alone. He also has an insight and storytelling skill that rates his writing as "literature" - much more so than all but the best fantasy authors (such as Ursula LeGuin).
That being said, this novel is notable for being a little more "fun" than his high fantasy that follows - it has a lot of humor and derring-do in it and is somewhat reminiscent of Dumas's "Three Musketeers" in that element. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while reading such excellent prose! The plot revolves around the adventures of a young Spanish gentleman, who not being the eldest son will not inherit his father's property must seek his own fortune.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys Dumas, Stevenson, "The Princess Bride", or Zorro!"

I hope you enjoy it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Flogiston
Enthusiast
Flogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheeseFlogiston can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-500 (RIP), Kindle Keyboard 3g, jetBook Color, Kindle Paperwhite
Do you have The King of Elfland's Daughter?
Flogiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't been able to find that anywhere, but...

..if someone - anyone - can point me to a free copy I'll gladly work on it and make it available for our Reader. Like you, I love that book and just everything Dunsay wrote.

I devoured Dunsany at the inception of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series, edited by Lin Carter. I have that book in paperback [sorry, no scanner], and I was looking for that title at the same time I did the Don Rodriquez title.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogiston View Post
Do you have The King of Elfland's Daughter?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am looking for The King of Elfland's Daughter as well
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am looking for The King of Elfland's Daughter as well
Let me know about a copy and I'll assemble one post-haste.

This is an important and lovely fantasy novel, and needs to be made available if only to show how not to write trendy, fat, arrogant, bloated, political fantasy novels.

Don
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Let me know about a copy and I'll assemble one post-haste.

This is an important and lovely fantasy novel, and needs to be made available if only to show how not to write trendy, fat, arrogant, bloated, political fantasy novels.

Don
LOL

Only on darknet
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
LOL

Only on darknet

Ahhh, yes. But is it a public domain book that is available on the darknet? Or does darknet by definition mean "in copyright?"

Anyone know?

Don
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Ahhh, yes. But is it a public domain book that is available on the darknet? Or does darknet by definition mean "in copyright?"

Anyone know?

Don
Frankly speaking I have no clue.

Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley (1922)
The King of Elfland's Daughter (1924)

The former is in the public domain. There are only 2 years difference. Who knows why it is not available.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Frankly speaking I have no clue.

Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley (1922)
The King of Elfland's Daughter (1924)

The former is in the public domain. There are only 2 years difference. Who knows why it is not available.
All books released before 1923 are public domain in the US.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert

Why 1923?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Why 1923?
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Help:P..._United_States
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote