Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
vaderag
vaderag is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
How do I backup my reading positions?

I'm just returning my kindle to amazon, but want to know how I backup my reading positions...

I know the collections.json file backs up the collections, but anyone know where the positions are saved?

Thanks
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure, but you might try saving the companion *.mbp file that the books have (*.tan if it's a topaz book).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, your current reading position, bookmarks, etc, are all stored in the mpb file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
All bookmarks and highlights are saved at the Amazon site if your purchased the books there. If you get a new Kindle as a replacement, they will be restored including your Collections.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
vaderag

Thanks all - the mpb works
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
If you use Calibre to manage your ebooks, you can add the .mbp file as an additional format file. Calibre can include the "% read" data into its display for the book, and you have a handy backup of bookmarks/position/etc
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGrrl View Post
If you use Calibre to manage your ebooks, you can add the .mbp file as an additional format file. Calibre can include the "% read" data into its display for the book, and you have a handy backup of bookmarks/position/etc
That actually sounds amazing - can you give a bit more detail of how you would do this?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
That actually sounds amazing - can you give a bit more detail of how you would do this?
I'm late to the party, but can I second this? My Kindle Touch is, um, burping a bit- and I'd like to back everything up just in case. I'm midway through something like 25+ books (short attention span!) and I don't want to lose my places/notes.

I found this thread in an online search, and I'm curious to know how to back up my places. Help please?
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilis View Post
I'm late to the party, but can I second this? My Kindle Touch is, um, burping a bit- and I'd like to back everything up just in case. I'm midway through something like 25+ books (short attention span!) and I don't want to lose my places/notes.

I found this thread in an online search, and I'm curious to know how to back up my places. Help please?
I sync then I just backup the Documents folder it keeps everything for non Amazon books and DRM free Amazon books.

When I get a new Kindle (Currently own 5 Kindles) I just copy the folder over to the new Kindle. Any Amazon books with DRM will have to be redownloaded but everything should be sync on their server.

This works for K3, K4 Kindles. The PW and KT I think would work together but not if you moved everything over to a K3 or K4 from a K5 because the file structure is a bit different.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I sync then I just backup the Documents folder it keeps everything for non Amazon books and DRM free Amazon books.

When I get a new Kindle (Currently own 5 Kindles) I just copy the folder over to the new Kindle. Any Amazon books with DRM will have to be redownloaded but everything should be sync on their server.

This works for K3, K4 Kindles. The PW and KT I think would work together but not if you moved everything over to a K3 or K4 from a K5 because the file structure is a bit different.
Thank you!
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote