Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
New ePubs have no covers in Calibre

Hi folks,

I've got a number of epubs added to Calibre from various sources (Kobo, Overdrive, darknet) that Calibre doesn't find the cover for. These almost always have a cover (usually called "cover.jpg"!).

I would have guessed the problem was in content.opf but here are two examples that are reasonably similar. On a book with no cover, the relevant parts of content.opf that mention "cover" are:

Code:
  <metadata ...
    <meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
  <manifest>
    <item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
and an epub with a cover is quite similar:

Code:
  <metadata 
    <meta content="cover" name="cover" />
  <manifest>
    <item href="Images/cover.jpeg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg" />
I've left out references to cover.html or cover.xml.

I also have some epubs that don't have the meta content part, and only seem to have a cover.html (and related jpeg).

Any suggestions why Calibre isn't finding covers? A search of mobileread didn't turn up anything useful.

For a bonus, is there an easy way go assign "cover.jpg" or "cover.jpeg" from an existing epub as the cover. I've got a number of books I want to do this for, and manually exploding the epub to extract the cover is a bit tedious.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Presumably you turned off reading metadata from inside files in the preferences. Turn it on again and you can use the bulk metadata edit dialog to add covers from files easily.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Presumably you turned off reading metadata from inside files in the preferences. Turn it on again and you can use the bulk metadata edit dialog to add covers from files easily.
Hi Kovid,

Under "Adding books" I already have a tick next to "Read metadata from file content rather than file name".

But using the bulk metadata editor I can add the covers from the ebook files just fine.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote