Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Fantasy-sorcery recommendations

I've been really into fantasy books - especially the ones with sorcery/magic and a whole new other world.

Some of the authors that I like are David Eddings and Maria V. Snyder, among others. I honestly enjoyed David Eddings' construction of his fantasy world and that piqued my interest.

If there are any other books that are similar to them, I would greatly appreciate it if you can recommend me!

Oh, and one of my friends recommended that I read Garth Nix and his Abhorsen trilogy. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I loved 'Magician' by Raymond E. Feist - I was totally absorbed in the world he created.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khai View Post
Oh, and one of my friends recommended that I read Garth Nix and his Abhorsen trilogy. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I second the recommendation! It's well worth the read. I sped through the books, they were a great read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Khai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I loved 'Magician' by Raymond E. Feist - I was totally absorbed in the world he created.
Is it available in eBook format? I can't seem to find it anywhere
Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khai View Post
Is it available in eBook format? I can't seem to find it anywhere
Ooops, you're correct - I can't find a (legal) ebook version either.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Khai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Ooops, you're correct - I can't find a (legal) ebook version either.
Pity! Still looking for recommendations
Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Have you checked out the "Sword of Truth" series? I've read the first 8 books, and while they aren't the best series I've read I have enjoyed the series so far, especially the first 4 books.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Khai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Have you checked out the "Sword of Truth" series? I've read the first 8 books, and while they aren't the best series I've read I have enjoyed the series so far, especially the first 4 books.
Will check it out. I have a phobia for authors with the name 'Terry'. I tried Terry Brooks' "Sword of Shannara" series and I found it incredibly dry and boring.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Just a warning on the Sword of Truth books. The first few books are rather good, but then the series starts going on... and on.... and on ..... and on......
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
You might want to try the ebooks written by Richard Tuttle and available at Fictionwise. the books are all DRM- free multiformat and audio books (I've never tried one so I don't know how well read they are) are available. They are inexpensive and excellent. There are 4 series, all linked together (i.e., same characters but different time periods). I reviewed the Sword of Heavens series here. The series titles are: The Demonstone Chronicles; Forgotten Legacy; Targa Trilogy; Sword of Heavens. You can do a search on Mobile Read for Richard Tuttle to find other comments about his books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The last pbook I ever read was called "Last Call." I can't remember who wrote it, but I probably got it at Amazon. It is very gritty and scary, not a castle or damsel or anything. It takes place in and around Las Vegas. Lots of wizards trying to kill each other. Lots of tarot and human scheming. It's pretty good, and worth giving a try.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Now, for sword and sorcery fantasy, Roger Zelazny wrote the best. His "Amber" series of 10 books has never been matched.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Ink Jockey
Ink Jockey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Some of Feist's older books don't seem to have been converted to e-books yet. Like the earlier person, I find Feist's world of Midkemia facinating. There are multiple series set in the same world - all related but not necessarily dependant on each other. His whole book list can be found at his 'official' site: http://www.crydee.com

Oh, and the first book isn't just titled "Magician", it is "Magician: Apprentice".
http://www.amazon.com/Magician-Appre...5137739&sr=1-1
Ink Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
Ink Jockey

Another author/series to look at is Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" books. But again, like Feist, some of his older books have not been converted to e-books yet. With that series, it is more important to start with book #1.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Ink Jockey

If you are interested in giving unknown authors a try, I recently posted in an earlier thread that I found this book interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/Some-Days-Drag...5138730&sr=1-1

It is rather long, but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading his sequel. (At least, I hopes he writes a sequel... I want to know what happens from where this one left off.)

>DTW