Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Red face ..."If the book is under copyright in your country....

.....do not download or redistribute this "

is a message which ebookers will come across on a multitude of occasions.

I've read posts on this forum quite extensively, and would like to ask:

Is there a fairly simple/quick way of determining whether a book IS copyright
in a certain country, or not?

The entire issue seems sort of curious.

I live in the UK and live with care givers who invariably have their homes in India.
If there were no licence to read book "A" in the UK, but OK for Indian residents,
would it be OK for a visiting worker to download it here and read it here, download
it there and bring it over here,or would he have to go to India to read it over there, and
where would that leave me there if I were there as well?
(and vice, of course, versa )

Would he be allowed to read it as long as I didn't see it?
or would I have physically to go over there to read it?

Just wondering....

Regards,

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I would guess that extremely few people care about this if they just want to download a book and read it. The text you see is primarily indented to protect the site that distribute the book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would guess that extremely few people care about this if they just want to download a book and read it. The text you see is primarily indented to protect the site that distribute the book.
Just like all the games you can download with the restrictive text: 'For backup purposes only, don't download this if you don't own a legal version'...

Who do we think we are kidding ???????
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
.....do not download or redistribute this "

is a message which ebookers will come across on a multitude of occasions.

I've read posts on this forum quite extensively, and would like to ask:

Is there a fairly simple/quick way of determining whether a book IS copyright
in a certain country, or not?

The entire issue seems sort of curious.

I live in the UK and live with care givers who invariably have their homes in India.
If there were no licence to read book "A" in the UK, but OK for Indian residents,
would it be OK for a visiting worker to download it here and read it here, download
it there and bring it over here,or would he have to go to India to read it over there, and
where would that leave me there if I were there as well?
(and vice, of course, versa )

Would he be allowed to read it as long as I didn't see it?
or would I have physically to go over there to read it?

Just wondering....

Regards,

John
Hi John,

It's the country that you're currently in that matters. The UK has a "life + 70" copyright law (ie works enter the public domain at the start of the year following the 70th anniversary of the author's death). India has a "life + 60" law, but an Indian national living in the UK is subject to UK law.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote