Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
Puffball
Puffball doesn't litterPuffball doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Shareware ebooks

I came across this:

www.richardherley.com

where an author has posted his books as shareware. They go back quite a long way, so maybe they're out of print. The reviews, if true, are quite impressive, but then maybe he left out the bad ones ... I downloaded the first book, looks OK, but haven't got too far with it yet.
Puffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Thanks for the link. The books look promising, and the author also has an interesting essay on the economics of publishing in the age of the e-book:

http://www.richardherley.com/FTCebooks.html
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Puffball

My pleasure, carandol. I only found it when following up a blog post. I finished the first book (The Stone Arrow) yesterday, in fact it kept me up 'til after 1 o'clock. It's pretty neat - vivid, like a movie in your head. It reminded me of when I was a kid and used to read under the bedclothes with a torch so my parents wouldn't know I was still awake. You've just got to know what happens!

I'm going to try his new book next. Are there any other authors doing this? 85p certainly beats the price of Sony's offerings.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Thanks for the link. The books look promising, and the author also has an interesting essay on the economics of publishing in the age of the e-book:

http://www.richardherley.com/FTCebooks.html
Excellent article. An independent author is the future of literature. Soon the fatcats in publishing houses will start trembling in their suits. I will check out his books, although I only read classics, if I like his books, I will definitely pay the 'suitable' price.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Puffball

Razi, if you read the article carefully you'll see he's not exactly against publishers, it's just that they've got rather too powerful. I like paper-based books, leastways if they're well made. I'm a big fan of typography and book design, even the smell of a new book is a treat! But to pay £15 ($30) for some crummy thing with glue binding that falls to bits and paper that foxes after 5 years is just not reasonable. At least ebooks don't fall to pieces on you.

Amazon is too powerful as well. I don't like the way the Kindle is gobbling up all those potential ebook-reader owners. They'd be much better off with a Sony or similar. At least with such devices you can upload your own files directly.

Incidentally I've started on "The Tide Mill" and (peace be upon you, carandol!) will soon be posting a proper review in the appropriate thread. It's in another league from "The Stone Arrow".
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I'm reading The Stone Arrow and quite enjoying it in a bloodthirsty sort of way. I've got the other two in the trilogy too, so I'll probably wait until I've read all three and then do a joint review.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Thanks for this link. I loved the essay and analysis of the publishing industry. I think he's absolutely correct, that shareware, DRM-free distribution of authors' works makes the most sense today.

I also love the idea he alluded to of patronage and subscription. There are some authors I'd subscribe to immediately if I had that choice. "Here is my payment, in advance, for your next published work."
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffball View Post
Amazon is too powerful as well. I don't like the way the Kindle is gobbling up all those potential ebook-reader owners. They'd be much better off with a Sony or similar. At least with such devices you can upload your own files directly.
I'm not sure that I follow your argument. It's just as easy to create and upload your own content to a Kindle as it is to a Sony, given that it uses the popular MobiPocket book format, for which a wealth of free book creation tools exist.

You can copy files to a Kindle via a USB connection in exactly the same way you can with a Sony, or a CyBook, or an iLiad. Can you elaborate about what way you consider the Kindle to be more restrictive?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
Puffball

I stand corrected. I thought the Kindle didn't have a USB connection - that you had to get Amazon to load your content for you, for a fee.

Sorry if I misunderstood! I'm quite happy with my PRS-500 ...
Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heavens no! It has a USB port and appears as a drive on your computer when you plug in the USB cable, just like the CyBook or the Sony 505 does. You can just drag files to it directly.

I suspect you're thinking of the optional file conversion service. This allows you to e-mail a file in some format you want converted to Kindle format, and have it transferred wirelessly to the Kindle for a 10c fee. The fee is for the wireless transfer, not for the conversion. If you copy the file yourself, there's no fee.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Obviously Amazon are heavily pushing their various paid services for the Kindle, but it seems that everyone else mostly cares that it has USB. I read quite a few reviews and PR pieces before it became clear to me that it's possible to load your own content for free. Which has left me with a lingering low regard for the device. I'm sure it's fine but I just don't really like it.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
@ Puffball

I have over a thousand books on my Kindle and only two were purchased at Amazon. What I do like from Amazon is the subscription service for blogs, newspapers, and magazines. It's quite convenient to have that content pushed to my Kindle as it's updated.

I really wanted to like the Sony Reader but it never felt good in my hands. My hands are a bit arthritic and I found it difficult to grip the Reader but the Kindle I find easy to hold. The silicon skins for the Sony would've helped with the grip but I'm quite content with my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks for the exposure, everybody! The experiment is going quite well at the moment, and some very kind people have even made payment before having had a chance to read the books. Early days yet, though.

BTW, be utterly fearless if you want to post reviews, carandol and Puffball. I can take the knocks.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Received a nice e-mail from Richard Herley about a week ago, asking me if I could add these books on Feedbooks.
The trilogy is already available and all five books will be online in a few minutes: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/author/323

Edit: All five books are available, and there's a list for The Pagans.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hadrien, I discovered them a few minutes ago. Thanks for a spiffing job! I really believe this Free-to-Copy thing could take off, and Feedbooks could be at the heart of it.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote