Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 4
Method to set Date from user integer column

I have listed (I don't have them all yet) Agatha Christie's books. I have entries in Series for the Hercule Poirot stories, the Miss Marple stories, etc.

But I want to be able to list them in order of date written. I currently have an integer user column (called Agatha Sort) to put them in the correct order. I would like to use the Date column instead. (For these books I am not interested in the date I added them.)

Is there a way I can transfer the user column to the Date column so that when sorted according to Agatha Sort, Date reads 1 Jan 2000, 2 Jan 2000, 3 Jan 2000, etc.?

Agatha Sort currently has 01, 02, 03, etc.

It seems a waste to have a column dedicated to just one author.
macnab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Isn't the built-in published date column what you should use? If you enter the correct values, you can sort/search however you want.

In any event, you can do what you want with bulk metadata search/replace.
Mode: regular expression
Source field: is your int column.
Search for: (.*)
Replace with: \1/01/2000 (assuming you use dd/mm/yyyy dates)
destination field: your date column

This only works if there is actually something in the int column, and only if the value is less than 31.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Quote:
This only works if there is actually something in the int column, and only if the value is less than 31.
I can change the month after 31 entries, no problem. I understand the concept.

Problem: Date is not available as destination field (Bug/shortcoming?). Using pubdate, which I don't use, comes to the same - an extra column. (Also, it is only accurate to the month.)

Last edited by macnab69; 07-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Pubdate can be accurate to the millisecond. Look at calibre's tweaks to see how to control what is displayed.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
macnab69
Zealot

It gets complicated going past AgathaSort = 31. Bit difficult to say replace with value found subtract 31.

Only 87 books, can always edit them manually.
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would use the publication date and View Manager to create a ChristieView - select by author sort on pubdate, put columns in different order etc etc

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
macnab69
Zealot

The problem is I still have to do it by hand. Maybe I should set up my Download Metadata for just Pubdate and see what I can achieve.

I can then either leave it in Pubdate or copy to Date. Except that Date is not available as a destination field.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have Date as a displayed column - for me it serves no useful purpose

If you massage this list into a csv then you can push into the ImportList plugin and update the pubdate

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
macnab69
Zealot

I'll give it a go.

Thinking about it, I don't use Date anymore either.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
I'll give it a go.

Thinking about it, I don't use Date anymore either.
Date is the date the (book) record was FIRST created in Calibre. I am with BR, if you keep your wishlist as an Empty Book like I do, date has lost useful (date actual book added) meaning.

Pub Date is the date the Metadata returns for the ISBN.
Many people want this to contain First Published
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote