Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I am retiring from the book creation business.

I have received a comment about the books that I have created for this site (lack of Em Dashes). That person hesitantly asked me to recreate all the books that I have already made (over 500). Due to a computer crash I have lost many of these books and the fact that I could not get the tools suggested to fix the problem to work correctly I have decided to retire from the book creation business. Many thanks for those of you have passed on karma for the books that I have created.

Sincerely,

Madam Broshkina
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
while i can understand your reaction, i just would like to say that in the short time i have been a member of this forum i have been impressed and grateful for all your contributions, and your work will certainly be missed (and the books you have already shared will certainly continue to be appreciated !).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This really sucks!

You shouldn't let someone bully you like that for em dashes!?!?!

I'm sure a lot of people around here feel the same. You have done a fastidious task that not many here have taken patience to do. Of course if there are other pressing reasons that might not be mentionable... but being bullied out! Unacceptable...

I personnally applaud yor work.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yvan, I feel that a hesitant request from someone isn't bullying. (Some people are very bothered by emdashes and there are several threads about them.)

Madam Broshkina, I do hope that you will reconsider your decision. You could quite reasonably decline to re-do your existing uploads. If you want to include emdashes in future books then I'm sure lots of people can give some advice on the book cleaner files if they are causing trouble.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is absolutely no reason why you should feel obligated to update your existing ebooks.

The tools for handling MOBI files are now good enough that if someone really does not like the way a DRM-free MOBI handles em dashes, or whatever, then it should be relatively easy for them to fix the problem themselves.

If you don't still enjoy creating new ebooks, then, obviously, stop doing so. But please don't let something this minor cause you to stop. It sounds like part of the problem is that em dashes are not easy to handle in your normal work flow. My approach to this would be to ignore them (i.e. do whatever you are doing now). However, if you want to handle em dashes in new works but don't have a good way to do so - then perhaps someone can help if you provide more details.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Thanks for all you've done, and I'd like to add my voice to those that say you shouldn't even feel remotely pressured to make these changes.

If they are bothered, it is their problem, not yours. You've done a service you share for free, if they want it some other way - that is up to them.

But whatever you do, thanks for all you've done!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like Book Cleaner is not being used and any em dashes that are in the text are being converted to dashes. That was the original problem till I asked vvv what to do and he told me. Then I noticed that patricia has em dash problems so that was how the Book Cleaner attachment thread was born and thanks to HarryT and others it has grown to fix a number of loading issues with Book Designer.

As for stopping converting eBooks, please don't and just ignore the request for redoing the ones you've done. It's not that big an issue. But with the Book Cleaner files, you can sort it out for future eBooks and all will be well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
This really sucks!

You shouldn't let someone bully you like that for em dashes!?!?!
I honestly don't think that a "hesitant request" constitutes "bullying".

It IS a reasonable thing to request - at least for future books. Personally I far prefer books which have proper dashes rather than hyphens. It does seem something of an overreaction to say "someone's asked me to start using dashes so I'm going to give up creating books".

As Jon says, just use the BD bookcleaner files for your future books and you'll get dashes preserved. IF you decide to make improvements to your earlier books - as I frequently do to mine - then THAT'S the time to add dashes to those.

Don't give up, though; that's just daft. Personally I always welcome ways in which my books could be improved; I hope that nobody would be discouraged by polite suggestions for improvements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Thanks most of you for all the kind words concerning my retirement from posting books on this site. Though having a moderator on this site saying my decision is an "overreaction" and "daft" only gives me more reason not to reconsider posting books again. The suggestion that I received came from another moderator on this site who I have found to be arrogant in his past posts. This moderator has already caused some members to leave this site. If it had come from someone else perhaps I would have not daftly over reacted.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Though having a moderator on this site saying my decision is an "overreaction" and "daft" only gives me more reason not to reconsider posting books again.
No offence intended, MB, but I'm afraid that I do think that it's rather an overreaction to say "I'm going to give up creating books" when you receive what you yourself say was a "hesitant request" to preserve dashes in your books. That's just a personal opinion - not speaking with my "moderator's hat" on. I know that the books that I post have been improved in all sorts of ways thanks to the helpful suggestions I've received from many other people, and I always welcome such comments (although I may on occasions disagree with the suggestion and not act on it!).

All I'm saying is please don't let what I'm sure was a suggestion aimed at nothing more than making your books better put you off; take it in the spirit in which I'm certain it was offered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
That's too bad. I appreciated your upload of My Lady Nicotine. Personally, I agree with people who say you should continue making books if you enjoy it. If you don't like it anymore, then I can understand that. I wouldn't quit something I enjoy doing just because of what someone else thought about the work. But then again, I find it pretty easy to ignore such things if I don't find the criticism constructive. Any any rate, a lot of people on this site appreciate your work, so if you are so inclined, please come back with an occassional upload if you find yourself making books in the future.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
emdash? What's an emdash? And who cares? I think you've done a terrific job, MB, and I particularly like your choice of authors and titles. Whether you continue or not, I thank you for your efforts.

Reminds me of comments by some of the hackers. They spend many hours writing code for other people to use for free and then get criticized when it doesn't do what someone wants. Nuts!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Say it ain't so!! You'll be greatly missed, if you do cease to make books. If it isn't fun anymore, than so be it ..... but if you still enjoy it, with or without em-dashes, your work is GREATLY appreciated.

Please don't go .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
emdash? What's an emdash? And who cares? I think you've done a terrific job, MB, and I particularly like your choice of authors and titles. Whether you continue or not, I thank you for your efforts.

Reminds me of comments by some of the hackers. They spend many hours writing code for other people to use for free and then get criticized when it doesn't do what someone wants. Nuts!
See here for a discussion on em dashes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14781
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
sounds like more e-book snobbery. sorry to hear about your decision, but thank you for all your contributions! they will be missed
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote