Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
any one still using and enjoying pocket pro?

I have kindle (2 of them), 2 sonys including the prs t1 and astak product.

End of it all, i wind up reading the most on the astak. The wheel thing to turn pages cannot be beat (sorry touch screens).

And as far as new e ink screens, seems astak screens is good enough for me.

your thoughts?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
I have kindle (2 of them), 2 sonys including the prs t1 and astak product.

End of it all, i wind up reading the most on the astak. The wheel thing to turn pages cannot be beat (sorry touch screens).

And as far as new e ink screens, seems astak screens is good enough for me.

your thoughts?
You are joking, right?
I have heard funnier stuff though...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Up not anymore. I loved it, thought the form factor and great little firmware features were brilliant. But after issues with the company my loyalty went elsewhere.

Now most of my reading happens on my kindle keyboard or kobo wifi.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yes, I use it every day (almost).
I just replaced my tired (1st batch) Blue one with a Black one I got NEW for $50 from a link a few threads back. This one work fine with the USB 2.0 ports that my Blue one would not tolerate.

I did note that the installed Astak firmware supported 9 size levels, but NO MP3 or TTS.

A Web trip to Jinke found a later (Jinke V5) version that got me back the MP3 (no TTS)

I do like the 6" Pearl screen on the K4NT, but I gave that to my wife for her use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
I still use mine daily. I'm on my second one. Had to pickup a used one on ebay but still love it.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It's still good

I've started using my Pocket Pro again too. I put it in a drawer when I gave up on Aztak and got a Kindle but a couple of months ago I started thinking about the great ergonomics of the Pocket Pro and dug it out again. It charged up overnight and in the morning I found a library of books on it I had enjoyed and a few still on my TBR list.

After using it again I still think the Pocket Pro has the best ergonomics. It's screen lacks the contrast of the Pearl screens but I learned a trick with the Kindle that helps that. M-Edge makes covers and a light that works with their covers called an eLuminator. The combination of cover and light works great for reading at night and the lightweight book light makes any eInk screen pop. I've used a new cover in the past to make an old reader seem new again so that's what I did with my Pocket Pro.

M-edge doesn't list a cover for the Pocket Pro but some kind person posted that their Go Jacket for the Sony PRS300 fits a Pocket Pro and it does. The Go Jacket is a brightly colored, smooth side out leather cover. I had almost as much fun choosing a color for the cover as I had picking out a color for my Pocket Pro three or four years ago. Best of all the bright new cover makes my Pocket Pro feel new again.

Since they don't make them anymore and you apparently can't find replacement batteries, I don't know how much longer it will last but it's holding a charge quite well now so we may be together for quite awhile. Besides, I love recycling.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Still have my original EZReader. Still use it frequently. Still enjoy it.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I've started using my Pocket Pro again too. I put it in a drawer when I gave up on Aztak and got a Kindle but a couple of months ago I started thinking about the great ergonomics of the Pocket Pro and dug it out again. It charged up overnight and in the morning I found a library of books on it I had enjoyed and a few still on my TBR list.

After using it again I still think the Pocket Pro has the best ergonomics. It's screen lacks the contrast of the Pearl screens but I learned a trick with the Kindle that helps that. M-Edge makes covers and a light that works with their covers called an eLuminator. The combination of cover and light works great for reading at night and the lightweight book light makes any eInk screen pop. I've used a new cover in the past to make an old reader seem new again so that's what I did with my Pocket Pro.

M-edge doesn't list a cover for the Pocket Pro but some kind person posted that their Go Jacket for the Sony PRS300 fits a Pocket Pro and it does. The Go Jacket is a brightly colored, smooth side out leather cover. I had almost as much fun choosing a color for the cover as I had picking out a color for my Pocket Pro three or four years ago. Best of all the bright new cover makes my Pocket Pro feel new again.

Since they don't make them anymore and you apparently can't find replacement batteries, I don't know how much longer it will last but it's holding a charge quite well now so we may be together for quite awhile. Besides, I love recycling.
Batteries for any of the Base device (Hanlin V5) will work.
The EZReader is an Branded (and custom FW) of the Hanlin V5.
The MR Matrix show all the brands that this model goes by.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

One of those should be able to supply a battery.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
rrrlakin
shu-shu
rrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: two Astak PP/various kindles
I use my ezreaders regularly. (I just bought two more from geeks--gave one to my son who appreciates the form factor and the wide variety of formats it can read.) And, by the way, I bought two new batteries from Astak a couple of months ago, at decent prices with good service. I also have a couple of kindles and a KOBO. I use the Kindles regularly, appreciate the 3G.

Bob
rrrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I sold mine as soon as I could. With customer service seeming to diminish I wanted to sell it while I could still get a fair amount for it. I got 150.00 for it last Dec.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
rrrlakin
shu-shu
rrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Wow! They're available now for about $50.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Sadly, last August, mine froze and couldn't reset. An attempt to reload firmware got stuck halfway thru boot-up, so ended up with a Nook Touch. Am quite happy with the touch, but would still rather have my PPro working, instead.

FYI. I know instantly that it was August cuz I had occasion to look up the Nook purchase date when the Nook froze and wouldn't reset, lol. Deja vu, all over again.

I had ended up with a new PPro after I cracked the screen ($89 replacemen) just as Robert "retired". This time, I had no difficulty getting a Nook replacement - just walked into the store and walked out with a new one (yes, they gave it to me, I didn't just grab a display model).

Makes me nervous, tho'. Astak closed up shop right after I got my PPro replacement. I hope this isn't a sign of things not-to-come for B&N. LOL
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrlakin View Post
I use my ezreaders regularly. (I just bought two more from geeks--gave one to my son who appreciates the form factor and the wide variety of formats it can read.) And, by the way, I bought two new batteries from Astak a couple of months ago, at decent prices with good service. I also have a couple of kindles and a KOBO. I use the Kindles regularly, appreciate the 3G.

Bob
Did you get the ones listed for the 6-inch EZ Reader? Do they work okay with the PPro? I'd love to get a backup battery if I can only find the right one.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
rrrlakin
shu-shu

According to robertb the 6" batteries are standard Nokia batteries. The 5" takes its own special batteries. Maybe I got the last ones? Wouldn't hurt to email Astak and ask--perhaps they have a small stock, not enough to list on their website.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I still use mine, although not much lately. Every time I look for a replacement, the lack of formats is why I stick with the EZ Reader.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote