Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Connect to Calibre Content Server Sony PRS 950

Crossing forums... posted this twice, hope someone here can shed any light.

Connect to Calibre Content Server Sony PRS 950

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone been able to connect the PRS 950 to the Content Server and download books?

Thanks
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The 950 can only download books from the Sony Reader Store. It can't download book links through the web browser. I wish it could!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
Connect to Calibre Content Server Sony PRS 950 ...~~~... Has anyone been able to connect the PRS 950 to the Content Server and download books?
Hopefully by now you are aware that this is now possible if you use PRS+ (Project Page) on your 950. I've only had my 950 a couple of weeks and I just used the Wifi to download a book via the content server.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
sounds interesting, how much of a chance am I taking that it will kill the 950? All so does it break anything in Calibre on how it works with the 950
Thanks

Last edited by Maggie-Me; 07-31-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
sounds interesting, how much of a chance am I taking that it will kill the 950? All so does it break anything in Calibre on how it works with the 950
Now that they have the automated installer (PRSP_950_2.0.12beta_setup.exe) and uninstaller I think the chance of killing your 950 is zero. PRS+ has never terminally bricked any reader that I know of.

I would suggest that you don't have calibre running when the installer runs. But it works with calibre the same as it always did. I have been running PRS+ on my 505 forever (year and a half or more) on my Son's 300 for 5 months and I have been running PRS+ on my 950 since I bought it (2 weeks?) and I have only used calibre with these devices.

Check out the features and if there are items you like then go for it, if not stick with the 950 the way it is.

I like the book history, the clock, % of book read, screen capture, being able to hold the home key in to shutdown my device (key mapping) and being able to setup multiple fonts with the CSS the way I like it.

Good Luck.
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
I am using PRS+. I am not sure, though, how to access the calibre content server over the 950. How do you do it?
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
I am using PRS+. I am not sure, though, how to access the calibre content server over the 950. How do you do it?
I only did it once as an experiment and it was the only time I have turned my wifi on. I opened the web browser (now I have to guess since I don't have access to wifi here at work) I hit option and selected enter url? or something like that. I entered my local machines Ip that was hosting the sever, something like 192.168.1.147:8080 and the calibre content server showed up on my 950. I navigated to a book via series then clicked on the link to download the book. I then navigated to the book via browse by folder and found the book and opened it.

This was all within my local wifi if you want to reach the content server outside of your house there are ways and threads talking about how to do it, but outside my experience.

One thing to note I did not have a password on my content server.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
Interesting. Thanks for the instructions.

I've just tried it on my home network, but for some reason without success. I always get the message "cannot display page." Not sure why this would be, as I can access the Calibre library without a problem from my computer browser, and have the port open on my router.

I do have a password set--not sure if that could be causing a problem for Sony's browser...
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
I do have a password set--not sure if that could be causing a problem for Sony's browser...
I'm guessing yes, only one way to find out.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Did removing the password work (curious since the OP never came back)? I keep getting the "The page cannot be displayed" error as well. I do not have a calibre content server password on. I can access it perfectly on Stanza on my iphone. Does this really work for other people on the 950 with PRS+ installed? It's the only post I've found where someone says they could do it.. I so far cannot, and would love to have this option.

ETA: NEVERMIND, it does work. I'm just an idiot when it comes to IP addresses. I was trying my "public IP" whatever that is, versus the 192. one that i found from ipconfig by running cmd. I was able to download books over wi-fi from my calibre content server. Yay!

Last edited by seajewel; 11-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Unfortunately books download to the root directory, rather than to database/media/books as they do when Calibre is used to side-load rather than to download the books. I'm not sure if I should be worried about that and avoid downloading from the content server, since I read somewhere that putting the books in your root directory will slow down the device..? Does anybody know of a way to get books to download to the books directory rather than the root? Or should I not be concerned? I was hoping never to have to hook up my Reader to the computer, as I read quickly, and usually don't have a big backlog of "books to read".. I just load what I feel like reading next after finishing each book. so I'd have to hook up every other day or so.

Last edited by seajewel; 11-12-2011 at 05:21 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Unfortunately books download to the root directory, rather than to database/media/books as they do when Calibre is used to side-load rather than to download the books. I'm not sure if I should be worried about that and avoid downloading from the content server, since I read somewhere that putting the books in your root directory will slow down the device..? Does anybody know of a way to get books to download to the books directory rather than the root? Or should I not be concerned? I was hoping never to have to hook up my Reader to the computer, as I read quickly, and usually don't have a big backlog of "books to read".. I just load what I feel like reading next after finishing each book. so I'd have to hook up every other day or so.
The reason I'm posting this here is that when I first tried downloading from the Content Server, I thought it wasn't working because the book I downloaded didn't show up in the Last Added Book spot on the EBR home page.

For some reason, the books downloaded by this method don't show up as Last Added Books on the Home Page (I'm using Sony 950 and PRS+ version 2.0).

The books do show up in Browse Folders, and in Books and Book History AFTER I pull up the book from Browse Folders. In addition, if you start reading one of the downloaded books, it will show up in Continue Reading.

Last edited by Harmon; 04-04-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
The reason I'm posting this here is that when I first tried downloading from the Content Server, I thought it wasn't working because the book I downloaded didn't show up in the Last Added Book spot on the EBR home page.

For some reason, the books downloaded by this method don't show up as Last Added Books on the Home Page (I'm using Sony 950 and PRS+ version 2.0).

The books do show up in Browse Folders, Books, and Book History. In addition, if you start reading one of the downloaded books, it will show up in Continue Reading.
I've only done this once and I am unsure exactly how it worked but I was, like you, able to read the book. What happens if you shut it down and restart it? Where does the book show up then?