Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #106
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That was one of the things I was looking for. I have seen some other reports about reopening a page or two off. What I thought it could have been was a bit of inaccuracy the further the bookmark was from the reference point. That doesn't seem to be case.
I saw that last night too. It opened about 4 pages before where I was actually up to. Getting quite disillusioned about software on devices like this...
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just a couple of comments about updating to 2.3.1:

Books that do not specify font size as part of the chapter body have an odd glitch of dropping to the smallest font size when you page to a new chapter. Looking at the font size slider shows it at the normal position, moving it one step larger or smaller and then back restores the font to the normal size. Noted on Timespike by Eric Flint and Marilyn Kosmatka which was converted to epub by an old version of Calibre (Baen seems to have used Calibre a lot to convert their earlier ebooks to epub format). After editing the file to change the <body> tags to <body class="epub"> where 'epub' is defined in the stylesheet and has a font-size definition, the font size issue vanished.
I can't reproduce this. Most of my books seem to have the font settings, but I had a test case that that doesn't. Each chapter is just:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>Extra Chapters</title>
  <link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
  <h2 id="sigil_toc_id_2">Chapter 1</h2>

<p>Chapter 1 - Paragraph 1 - Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla ac tellus nunc. Phasellus i
With more paragraphs to have more than one page and appropriate close tags. The complete stylesheet is:

Code:
p {
    display: block;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    text-indent: 2em;
	widows: 1;
	orphans: 1
    }
Paging through this on the Glo works with no problems. I trawled the books to see if I could find one without that didn't set the font size anywhere. All the books from Baen do (and yes, they have all passed through calibre). The only one I could find had no styles set and in fact had no stylesheet at all. This didn't have any problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #108
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just a couple of comments about updating to 2.3.1:

Books that do not specify font size as part of the chapter body have an odd glitch of dropping to the smallest font size when you page to a new chapter.
It took longer than 2.2.1 to process the uSD cards when I inserted them into the Touch or Glo after the upgrade. OTOH, the covers and books seem to stay in sync and you get used to watching the two second delay between each cover thumbnail on the home screen being drawn.
Regards,
David
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Yes I've noticed this from 2.2.1 and 2.3.1 , quite irritating.
I can't be bothered changing my ebooks tho to cater for this glitch, I'll just wait until a new firmware fixes it.

Seems like a pretty bad one for the Kobo devs to miss tho, how did this get past testing?
Yep, I also get that font change when changing chapters as well.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #109
Ki1P
Ki1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to beholdKi1P is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
When reading a pdf in zoom mode, the black border which let's you flip the pages forwards used to be right next to the text on the right side.
But now for some reason there's a huge white space between the text and the black bar, it feels like I have to scroll through like three pages just to get to the right black bar to switch the page. What's up with that?
Ki1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #110
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki1P View Post
When reading a pdf in zoom mode, the black border which let's you flip the pages forwards used to be right next to the text on the right side.
But now for some reason there's a huge white space between the text and the black bar, it feels like I have to scroll through like three pages just to get to the right black bar to switch the page. What's up with that?
I'm currently reading a pdf on my touch [2.3.1] and that isn't happening to me.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #111
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook2, Kobo glo, Kobo mini, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As well as what is in the release notes, 2.3.1 includes:
  • Improved handling of font/setting changes. It doesn't hang as often.
  • Series information supported and displayed. This is in 2.2.x, but most people won't have seen it. The calibre driver was updated in 0.9.8 to support this.
  • The reading percentage has been moved from the title bar to the bottom left when reading.
  • For kepubs, pressing the percent read brings up a progress info dialog.
  • When the clock goes away in the title bar, the book title is displayed.
  • Margin handling for epubs has changed.
    • The font settings dialog will change the line margins for most epubs. I don't know if the other settings will also changed.
    • Margin settings in the dialog are now in steps of 2 instead of 3.

A couple of my "favourite" bugs have been fixed:
  • Deleting or changing annotations from the annotations list works!
  • When closing the annotations list, the top bar is no longer still displayed
About the series information:
  • For kepubs, this comes from the Kobo server. Not all books have it yet but Kobo are adding it. The book titles still tend to include the series info.
  • For sideloaded books, the device doesn't read it from anywhere. The epub standard does not include series info in the metadata, so that causes problems with retrieving it. The calibre driver can update the information in the devices database, but cannot do this when you send the book to the device. It can only do this after the device processes the book and adds it the database.
  • Sorting on the device includes the series info as part of the title. The series name and number are put in front of the title.
Thank you for so much info.
The "series" is surpooted by epub3 now in "title-type" property of title element in metadata.
oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #112
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast
DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Chess has been added to Kobo Touch as of 2.3.1.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
Now my addiction can follow me everywhere.

I've only played two games so far and the touch recognition stopped working mid second game. I could still navigate to the home page using the button (so the unit wasn't locked up) but I could not navigate anywhere using the touch screen. I had to power cycle the KT to recover. Happy to see that I could pick up my game where I left it.
DragonflyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #113
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
2.3.1 on Glo failed for me. Got the Dancing Squares. Deja vu all over again.

Finally had to do a factory reset.

And, of course, the website is down, so I can't authorise my device.

I used to worry about single points of failure, with Kobo there are so many that I should just stop worrying about them and be happy!
I think it's time for Kobo to give you a free replacement. Plus apologies and some kobo store credit. Or something.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #114
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
I have a touch with 2.3.1 and now that I am reading an epub [was reading pdf] it is exibiting the 'going to the wrong page' bug w hencoming from the home screen.

I've tried manual bookmarks which don't really work that well and are too much trouble. Not being able to get back easily to the page that I was on is a deal breaker for me.

I'm about to do a manual reset I think to 1.9.7 and then go through the upgrades to 2.1.5. I'm hoping they will fix this serious bug soon.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #115
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I think it's time for Kobo to give you a free replacement. Plus apologies and some kobo store credit. Or something.
Got the update later that night (morning actually) through Desktop, and am just having the normal Kobo bug activity...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #116
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Fortunately I've got a long list of KePubs to read since Cyber Monday, because I have the same bug (Touch). Everytime I open an ePub and return to the home screen and then reopen the book, I am not on the page I've left but one page before that.

Would be very annoying if I wasn't reading KePubs at the moment...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #117
pack21
pack21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO
It seems Kobo need release a update fix 2.3.1 revision very soon.....too many issues here.
pack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #118
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
I have the reading settings set as the first half of the screen turns the pages forward, the second half turns the pages backwards and a tiny area at the bottom middle which turns on the setting options. When I use the progress bar pressing << it sends me to the NEXT chapter and >> sends me to a PREVIOUS chapter (not the previous chapter before it)/is grayed out. Dunno if this is the firmware update messing with this or something about the file?
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #119
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Did the update 2 days ago and everything is fine. I was able to sync all my books (over 500) and what couln't fit on the main memory got to the SD card perfectly
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #120
pack21
pack21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
Did the update 2 days ago and everything is fine. I was able to sync all my books (over 500) and what couln't fit on the main memory got to the SD card perfectly
Can u sync all epub books out kobo domain (bought out kobo store), via wifi?

Elaborate more, please
pack21 is offline   Reply With Quote