Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #166
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Test version that doesn't include 'by author' in comments if only one author.

'... by author' is included if more than one author, even if it's the same set of authors across all books.
It works.

Thank you.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #167
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Have recently noticed a tendency of EpubMerge to capitalize only the 1st word of it's choice of title (not all the time) - is anything possible to correct this aside from retyping?
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #168
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Have recently noticed a tendency of EpubMerge to capitalize only the 1st word of it's choice of title (not all the time) - is anything possible to correct this aside from retyping?
I don't have any code in EpubMerge to do that. But calibre may have it's own capitalizing scheme for title.

I'd have to see an example to investigate any further.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #169
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Solved as of post #178 & #179 - awesome addition

UPDATE: Solved as of post #178 & #179 - awesome addition

ORIGINAL:
Question/Request for Epub Merge Plug-in Developer ( I think I'm putting this in the correct place by following the Plug-in Thread).

Re: Merged book metadata jacket page replacing metadata jacket of 1st book when updating the file.

I've noticed that when books are merged, the metadata jacket of the first book is replaced with the metadata jacket for the merged book when you update it to include comments you want to see in the merged book. All other books metadata jacket pages remain as they were. I believe this means that it "updates" and replaces the page file with the new one. This file is "jacket.xhtml" .

Can this be changed to ensure that a new metadata jacket page is added to reflect the merged book metadata but not remove (and thus lose) what existed in the first book?
I have been compiling my book series into individual, merged files and notice that I lose the metadata jacket that I added/updated to the first book when I modify my metadata and update the jacket (which I want) in the merged file.

I've attached a zip (rar) file you can extract and simply import into Calibre to see example files. These are folders and files created in the Calibre library so I can demonstrate this.

After looking at the Edit Metadata setup across the books when creating these examples, I think the solution would be to rename the "jacket.xhtml" or copy it under a modified name as happens with the jacket files of the 2nd and 3rd books that are merged. This would be part of the epub merge process. If it means a blank metadata jacket page called "jacket.xhtml" would have to be created, that should be fine. That would then be updated by the user; OR, you could set it up as a checkmark box option in the "confirm merge and order" window.
This automatic "fix" would save a lot of editing time.

It would then look like this:
* merged cover followed by...
* the merged book metadata jacket page which must be "polished" by the consumer to add it to the book...
* and THEN the cover for the 1st book with the usual afterward (1st book metadata jacket, text, 2nd book, repeat)

Currently, when polishing or converting and updating the metadata because you want a summary metadata jacket page you get:
* Merged book cover,
* 1st book cover,
* metadata jacket of merged book replacing 1st book metadata jacket,
then rest of book as normal.

I hope to hear back on this.
THANK YOU.
Attached Files
File Type: rar _Test Author.rar (2.44 MB, 209 views)

Last edited by jecilop; 09-02-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Update
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #170
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
Question/Request for Epub Merge Plug-in Developer ( I think I'm putting this in the correct place by following the Plug-in Thread).
Yes, this is the most appropriate place for questions about EpubMerge. And thank you, BTW, for the very complete problem report with examples. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Re: Merged book metadata jacket page replacing metadata jacket of 1st book when updating the file.

I've noticed that when books are merged, the metadata jacket of the first book is replaced with the metadata jacket for the merged book when you update it to include comments you want to see in the merged book. All other books metadata jacket pages remain as they were. I believe this means that it "updates" and replaces the page file with the new one. This file is "jacket.xhtml" .
I confirm that I see the same behavior, but I disagree a little with your characterization of it.

EpubMerge is doing exactly what it says--it's merging the epubs together. Each original epub's content is in a directory inside the final epub, including any jacket page.

(The file layout as depicted in Calibre's Edit Book feature is not a true representation of the actual epub--it pulls the contents of the first merged book up to the top level. Use Tweak Book, now Ctrl-T to see the true zip file layout.)

And if you stop there, it's all correct. Each individual ebook's jacket is in place and intact.

The problem is when you use Polish to add/update an overall jacket page. It replaces the first jacket it finds, even though it's not at the top level of the epub zip file.

(OTOH, if you add/update jacket using the Modify Epub plugin, which pre-dates Polish, it adds a new overall jacket as expected. Modify Epub expects jacket.xhtml to be in the same directory inside the epub zip as the opf file, generally the top.)

Calibre also uses a special HTML tag, <meta name="calibre-content" content="jacket"/> inside the jacket.xhtml files to identify jacket files.

So I see four possible fixes for this:

Change EpubMerge to change the name of the jacket.xhtml files when merging, as you suggested. This can cause problems if other epubs use files named jacket.xhtml that aren't calibre jacket files such as potentially breaking internal links. It would also have to be reversed on UnMerge. Plus for azw3 Polish doesn't consider the file name at all when looking for jacket files, only the <meta> tag. Convert appears to use only the <meta> tag for all formats.

Change EpubMerge to insert a top level jacket file itself for Polish to find, another idea you suggested. But if you use Polish to remove the jacket, then you're back where we started--add/update (or remove again) at that point would affect the first merged book's jacket.

Get Kovid to change Polish (and Convert and possibly other features) to only use top level jacket.xhtml files. There are probably good reasons why calibre behaves as it does--I can think of a few myself, for example some formats don't have a file layout like a zip file.

Use Modify Epub plugin instead of Polish to insert/update metadata jackets. This is what I'd suggest as a interim solution, at least.

Change EpubMerge to change the <meta> tag inside jacket.xhtml files so calibre won't recognize them as jacket files anymore. This is safer, but would also have to be reversed on UnMerge. And deal correctly with merges of merges and unmerges of unmerges. This is the best candidate solution so far, but it involves changing the book contents--something I've been reluctant to do.

I'm going to think about it for a bit more before I do anything. Discussion is welcome.
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #171
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Metadata Book Jacket solution for now.

THANK YOU for this excellent reply. It educated me on how it works (characterization) and your 4 ideas on how to possibly fix set me off to more testing and problem solving. I think you may like what I came up with. It should be easy to follow :-)

Modify Epub doesn't seem to get the job done. I looked over the explanation for the functions and just cannot reconcile that. I tried; it didn't work. So I tested some Polishing in steps (vs. 3 options checked off) and because UnMerge Epub is so handy & faster than EpubSplit should I ever want to go back and split the books up.

Here is what I found ( Relevant info here - my SOLUTION at the bottom )
  • * I can update just the cover in the Merged file (compiled covers that I make) via Polish and still do the UnMerge function without incident.
  • * I cannot update either metadata option (Update metadata in the book files, Add metadata as a "book jacket" page) without it using the 1st jacket file it finds (as you noted happens). It not only changes the 1st jacket file, but since that file corresponds to the first book it also means that changed jacket is what gets seen in the 1st book when I UnMerge Epub.

You probably expected the above based on what you shared with me.

*TESTED: Using Edit Book, I manually added a jacket.xhtml file which I positioned immediately after the "merged cover" (whether the cover I updated or what creates during Merge doesn't matter) (note:this is a jacket file that I exported from another book). I then ran Polish as above and it found that jacket file first and updated it according to what I did in Edit Metadata. I then tested UnMerge Epub, and it worked perfectly returning the original books to their original states.

MY SUGGESTION BASED ON THIS SUCCESSFUL TEST: If you can make this happen, that would obviously be great. It seems (from my point of view) that:
  • -Merge Epub could add a blank jacket file at the "top" of the file list as you mentioned (using the Calibre template as with all books - this is important because people such as myself may customize the jacket info template that comes with Calibre (ProgramFiles/Calibre/resources/jacket/template.xhtml). OR Merge Epub could automatically add this jacket file and populate its metadata with the merge files metadata if "blank" isn't ok. This seems the more logical thing to do.
  • -UnMerge Epub could then IGNORE this added jacket file (as it does the "merge cover") when unmerging. Remember, it ignored the jacket file that I added to the merged book when I used the UnMerge Epub plug-in.
  • -Polish would then affect the added jacket by updating the metadata book jacket when the user chooses to do so. This isn't a needed change. I'm just noting how it's used now and its role in the final product.

This is my end user and non-code writer and non-plugin maker point of view

MY SOLUTION FOR NOW: Since adding a jacket file by updating via Edit Book/Import/drag to position/Polish is time consuming and cumbersome for the value, I think the following is a simple solution whether temporarily or if you cannot add the jacket file. I only realized it after all this testing. I'm used to quickly using keystrokes to get the job done, so this is faster for now. After testing it A LOT it turns out to be quite nice. I'll get to the point verses listing all the in's and out's of what I tried before resolving on the following:
- I created a blank epub "template" which I use as an "extra book" when merging. This creates a jacket in the correct place for me when I use Merge Epub and allows for EASY POLISHING of the merged file (cover and metadata jacket) without affecting the UnMerge Epub ability. After running Polish on the merged file and then Unmerge, each of the entries returned exactly as they were before merging. Interestingly, the unmerged metadata jacket placeholder entry shows the polished data in the saved epub but the Edit Metadata window shows the old, original metadata.

I've attached a zip of the entries. This time it's just saved epubs that can be imported quickly, no folder setups necessary. Feel free to use the Metadata Jacket Placeholder epub for any ideas.

Thanks!!!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Metadata Jacket Placeholder Tests.rar (969.2 KB, 213 views)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #172
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
- I created a blank epub "template" which I use as an "extra book" when merging. This creates a jacket in the correct place for me when I use Merge Epub and allows for EASY POLISHING of the merged file (cover and metadata jacket) without affecting the UnMerge Epub ability. After running Polish on the merged file and then Unmerge, each of the entries returned exactly as they were before merging. Interestingly, the unmerged metadata jacket placeholder entry shows the polished data in the saved epub but the Edit Metadata window shows the old, original metadata.
That's clever.

Clever enough, in fact, that I think this can be the official solution for now.

It's been 1.5 years since Polish Book was added to calibre and you're the first user I've heard of trying to Polish merged epubs of Polished epubs. So I think it's a rare problem.

I'll think about it some more. But unless a brilliant idea comes up, I think this is it.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #173
jecilop
Addict

thanks...
If you ever do make this possible with the added jacket file, it would be even better if you could make the metadata compile the comments also much like the tags use all tags in the books being merged.
That's my goal so that when opening a bundle you can already have the summary of books available first - all books. Using what is already there in each book is typical and would shorten the process considerably vs. a bunch of copy/pasting and moving back and forth to do so.

I know Calibre updated awhile back to add comments vs. overwriting existing comments when downloading metadata.

If you know of some plug-in out there that makes the compilation of comments from multiple books into one file or log or something easy to run and copy/paste from a clipboard, LET ME KNOW. I haven't found it and do not know how to write it.

Thank you again for the input. A donation for the essential plug-in is on the way.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #174
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
if you could make the metadata compile the comments also much like the tags use all tags in the books being merged.
Attached is a test version with a new config option, 'Concatenate Book Comments'.

Try it out and see what you think.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-31-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #175
jecilop
Addict

oooh..Concatenate..I enjoyed confirming the definition of that one :-)

This is very nice. Note that it doesn't bring in any images that might be stored here then "polished" into the metadata jacket. I used the book jacket placeholder file in my test (it has a pic in the comments). The image becomes a small questions mark icon that is inactive.. Now that I know more about book editing, I could probably find a good way around this on my own.

Is it possible to do this and STILL GENERATE THE LIST that it has been doing at the top the compiled comments? Perhaps set that as another option such as Concatenate files AND include list at the top?
example from my test files:
Bundles/Collections/Anthology (Merged) containing:

_Metadata Jacket placeholder for Merged file
Title of 1st TEST book
Title of 2nd TEST book
Title of 3rd TEST book

Then below this list would be the concatenated comments.

Either way, this option alone is saving A LOT OF TIME for me!!! I combine it with my placeholder file and can create a perfect bundle with a book jacket that previews everything whether in summary or in detail no matter what reader is used since once the book is polished it lays it all out nicely now.

Last edited by jecilop; 08-31-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:04 AM   #176
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
This is very nice. Note that it doesn't bring in any images that might be stored here then "polished" into the metadata jacket. I used the book jacket placeholder file in my test (it has a pic in the comments). The image becomes a small questions mark icon that is inactive.. Now that I know more about book editing, I could probably find a good way around this on my own.
I tested putting image links in comments then merging books and polishing the merged book. I didn't see anything happen with comments, images and jackets that I thought was a problem with EpubMerge.

Whatever you're seeing, I believe it has to do with how you're using and customizing the metadata jacket feature.

Quote:
Is it possible to do this and STILL GENERATE THE LIST that it has been doing at the top the compiled comments? Perhaps set that as another option such as Concatenate files AND include list at the top?
Upon reflection, I don't think what you're asking for, or what I gave you in the previous test version, are very good solutions. In both cases, how would you tell where the comments for one book end and the next begin?

Attached is another test version that (optionally--check it again, it changed name) puts the comments for each merged book right after the title plus an <hr> tag divider. As before, authors are only included if there's more than one.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-31-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 08-31-2014, 03:01 AM   #177
jecilop
Addict

Well, I expected that I would have to do some quick "tweaking" of the compiled comments anyhow.
1) I didn't realize that the image I dragged into the comments still created a link (but showed the image). I deleted the image as it was for demo/testing purposes. So I realize now that it why it showed as a ? icon.
2) As for delineating books, I figured I would have to go through and help it a little. I was going to play with that a bit. I thought you did a lot to help me along.
3) Your latest version is EXACTLY what I was looking to do!!!!! It's wonderful!
* rename of concatenate to "show comments" is perfect for average user who doesn't work with data strings
* The line that breaks between the books is a nice addition
* everything is very clean now
4) I tested without comments and get it just like before too.

Since you took these extra steps to improve it (AND THANK YOU FOR THAT!), I will ask for a little more :-) Is it possible to force the titles to show in Bold? Is it possible to change the weight of the line that generates. The line looks "bold" and would seem better if a little less weighty. I'm splitting hairs with this last inquiry, but since you took the other step that I wasn't going to bug you about, I thought I'd go ahead and toss it out there. It's is NOT a necessity.
I will go through and bold the title when I include the comments if you can't do that by default. The eyes catch the bold title with more pleasantly in presentation than with the dividing line. Personally, with the title showing I wouldn't need the line. Just a spaced line between comments and the next book.

Last edited by jecilop; 08-31-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #178
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Is it possible to force the titles to show in Bold? Is it possible to change the weight of the line that generates.
Yes, I had already considered that, but I didn't bother last night since I had to change the code differently to not bold the without-comments version.

Quote:
The line looks "bold" and would seem better if a little less weighty.
Many of the comments I have from 'Download metadata' already have bold, so I like the horizontal rule divider. Or your CSS in your jacket files, etc.

The appearance of the <hr> tag should be controllable by modifying the resources/catalog/stylesheet.css from what I've read.

This version has bolded titles, but keeps the <hr>. Also, there's some container HTML embedded around each for CSS targeting.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 09-04-2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #179
jecilop
Addict

SOLVED

This is it! Terrific. Thank you!
This combined with my "metadata jacket placeholder" book makes it perfect so that unmerged doesn't leave the Polished info in the 1st book.

You just helped me reduce my library hard drive space footprint drastically also!

THANK YOU

:thu mbsup::2th umbsup

Last edited by jecilop; 09-01-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #180
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Release

Version 2.0.2 - 04 Sep 2014
  • Add Include Books' Comments feature.

Tags
calibre, combine books, epubmerge, make collection, merge epub, merge epubs