Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Firmware update

So I recently received a 3rd hand PRS 500 for free, and I noticed that it is not detected by calibre or my windows 7 computers. I went to their website and I saw that I have to send it in to get it updated to work with both epubs and windows 7. Is it worth it or is rtf going to suffice (I can just upload the books onto a memory card so its not an issue)

Whats the turn around time on the update?
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
It took about a week. Three days or so for them to do the upgrade and then however long shipping is.

I did it because the only system I had was win 7 and I didn't have an SD card at the time. I like it except for the annoying time it takes to format rtf files when you first open the book. So I've pretty much switched to epub lately.

Last edited by BaenSidhe; 09-17-2010 at 11:53 PM.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduvall View Post
So I recently received a 3rd hand PRS 500 for free, and I noticed that it is not detected by calibre or my windows 7 computers. I went to their website and I saw that I have to send it in to get it updated to work with both epubs and windows 7. Is it worth it or is rtf going to suffice (I can just upload the books onto a memory card so its not an issue)

Whats the turn around time on the update?
To work with epub - yes you have to send it to Sony, however to work with any Windows you need a special driver that was on the original disk that came with 500.
How do you know that the owners of the reader have no upgraded the f/w before giving it to you?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
To work with epub - yes you have to send it to Sony, however to work with any Windows you need a special driver that was on the original disk that came with 500.
How do you know that the owners of the reader have no upgraded the f/w before giving it to you?
Because it cannot read epubs
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduvall View Post
Because it cannot read epubs
Does it mean you have managed to connect it to a computer?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
I thought it was worth it. epubs and a few nice updates like being able to delete on the book without hacks.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
htaylor
bookworm
htaylor began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 and 505
I use an old version of Calibre to add or remove books on my PRS-500
htaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
sorry to bring up such an old thread. does sony still provide the firmware update for the prs-500?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok. maybe sony gave up on the prs-500.
i can't find the original usb drivers anywhere. the drivers found in an old version of calibre only works with calibre.

can anyone point me to where i can find the original drivers from sony so that i can use it with sony's firmware update program? i know i can't update to the version that supports epub without help from sony. but i can at least update to the latest available before epub support came into play. it's something at least.

thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If Sony does an update at all, it does one only. It pretty much abandons the old models when the new ones come out.

I responded to your private message - I do have copies of the old drivers and a saved copy of the firmware updater that took the 500 to 1.0.03.07170.

I also found copies of the PDF user guide and quick start guide, as well as the original "CONNECT" software (for anyone who feels particularly masochistic )

Finally, I found versions 1 and 2 of the original PRS "customizer" that worked with both the 500 and 505. (Hacks developed by users here). You'd have to search around on this site for instructions though, it doesn't look like I actually saved those!

The zip does include the following readme file:

Quote:
PRS-500 and PRS-505 (Sony Reader) universal flasher
v 2.0 2008/07/26 by igorsk

* Description

This set of scripts allows to flash a custom image or replace any files inside
the /opt directory of the Reader filesystem using just a flash card. The /opt
directory contains the main Reader UI and supporting files.
Possible uses include:
1) rolling back to an older firmware version
2) customizing the UI look and behavior
3) replacing/adding built-in fonts

As an example, provided xml files add a configurable clock display in the
status bar of the navigation menus and book reader.

* Usage

1) Extract the zip onto a flash card, keeping the directory structure. It's
best to use a card with not many files on it so that Reader can scan it quickly.
N.B. readme.txt should be in the root of the card, not in any subdirectory!
2) Insert the card in Reader.
3) Wait until the "Run Script" screen appears.
4) Press 5. Wait for the success message (the process will take about one to
two minutes).
5) Press 6. Wait for the success message.
6) Press 9 to reboot.
7) Extract the card.

* Using the clock display

To set the correct time on PRS-500, you need to connect it to
the PC and run the eBook Library software after each reset.
It should also be possible with libprs500 or Calibre.
For PRS-505, you can set the time in Settings or connect to PC with
the eBook Library software running.

To set up 12/24 hour format or turn off the clock, use the Settings-About
screen and the button 0 (check the status bar).

* Other uses

Put any files you want to add/replace in /opt to the /files
directory. E.g. if you want to replace the stock fonts, put the following
files in the /files.XXXX/opt/sony/ebook/FONT directory:

tt0003m_.ttf for Swiss721 BT Roman
tt0011m_.ttf for Dutch801 Rm BT Roman
tt0419m_.ttf for Courier10 BT Roman

You should edit yout .ttf files to have these exact font names, as most of
the LRFs use them.

If you have a ready-made /opt image you want to flash (e.g. a stock Sony firmware),
put it as a new_opt.img in the root of the card and use option 4 then 6.

You can run any custom shell script by editing script.sh in the card's root
and using option 3. Please note that the script needs to have Unix endlines
to run properly.

* Version history

2007/05/11 Initial release
2007/05/16 Version 1.1
Added support for MemoryStick cards
Added a sample shell script

2007/05/17 Version 1.2
Support for firmware version 1.0.02.01300

2008/07/26 Version 2.0
Support for PRS-505

* Credits

Shell scripts by Corwin
Clock display by Shade
PRS-505 support by porkupan
I'm pretty sure I installed this so I could see the clock and so I could have custom icons, if I remember correctly. The icons might have been a higher version Sony, I just can't remember any more.

ADDED: I meant to say: I'm adding comments here, even though I responded to your Private Message, in case anyone else wants any of these as well.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 05-02-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: forgot something!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
rem736
purpose priority passion

thanks fizzywater,

i replied with my email address, but i'm not sure it it got through. i did it twice and there's still no message in the "sent" folder. thanks for helping me out.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The PRS-500 USB drivers only work on 32-bit Windows. So if what you use now is 64-bit Windows, forget it.

We had a 500 that I traded back to Sony for $50 and I used the $50 to get a T1 as a gift when it was on sale for $99. That really cut the price.

But to be honest, I would call Sony and tell them you have a 500 that you want to have upgraded. I think Sony won't do it and might give you a discount on a refurbished T2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
thanks fizzywater,

i replied with my email address, but i'm not sure it it got through. i did it twice and there's still no message in the "sent" folder. thanks for helping me out.
I got it. I will send the file out when I get home from work tonight (will be a couple of hours yet).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PRS-500 USB drivers only work on 32-bit Windows. So if what you use now is 64-bit Windows, forget it.

We had a 500 that I traded back to Sony for $50 and I used the $50 to get a T1 as a gift when it was on sale for $99. That really cut the price.

But to be honest, I would call Sony and tell them you have a 500 that you want to have upgraded. I think Sony won't do it and might give you a discount on a refurbished T2.
hi jswolf,

yes, i am aware that the usb driver won't work on a 64-bit system. thanks. anyway, i'm not looking to trade the prs-500 in. i started ereading back in 2006 with a prs-500, but sold it so that i could get the 505. i've since moved on and now have the 950 from sony, a kindle paperwhite, and an onyx boox. a few days ago, i was given the prs-500 by a co-worker and i want to keep it more as a "museum piece" than actually using it on a daily basis.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #15
rem736
purpose priority passion

fizzywater,

thanks for the files you sent via email. i installed them but the prs-500 updater program still would not recognize that it is connected. so the update button is greyed out.

and as it turns out, the latest sony reader desktop app does not work with the prs-500. however, on the sony site, version 3.3 is still offered up as compatible with the prs-500. and i found out that this version comes with the drivers for the prs-500. it even offered to download the latest firmware that can be done via software, which i took up. but the prs-500 updater it offered would still not recognize that the device is connected, so the update button is greyed out.

the updater is PRS-500 Updater 1.0.03.07170.exe. looking at the device info, i'm currently on version 1.0.02.01300. so the problem of refusing to update to an earlier version is ruled out. any idea why it won't update? i've done a hard reset as well and nothing helped.

another funny thing is that though the v3.3 software recognizes the reader, i can't authorize the reader when visiting the "eBook Store", like it says i should be able to. it doesn't show up when i go to manage my devices. also, i'm unable to move files from the memory stick to the reader's built in storage (this may be that it hasn't been authorized, but i'm not sure).

Last edited by rem736; 05-04-2013 at 02:54 AM.