Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #481
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Either way, it's not working - I seldom put my device to sleep (preferring to power down completely), and I sync over WiFi fairly frequently. Even so, my "processing content" wait time is getting longer and longer. I can easily wait a couple of minutes for the percentage to tick from 6% to 11%.
Data points from tonight, when I powered down, deleted one book from the card and added an updated version (with a new name) plus six more books with the PC, put the card back in the still-off device, and powered up.

Card specs: 8GB Class 10 card, largest book just under 2MB, 149 total DRM-free EPUBs.

Device specs: Kobo Touch, latest 2.4.0 firmware, and 68 books on the device (for 217 total books).

Time from "display 5 most recent books on device" to "processing" screen: 18 seconds.

Time spent on "processing" screen: 9 minutes. That's about eighty seconds spent processing each book.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 03-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #482
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Data points from tonight, when I powered down, deleted one book from the card and added an updated version (with a new name) plus six more books with the PC, put the card back in the still-off device, and powered up.

Card specs: 8GB Class 10 card, largest book just under 2MB, 149 total DRM-free EPUBs.

Device specs: Kobo Touch, latest 2.4.0 firmware, and 68 books on the device (for 217 total books).

Time from "display 5 most recent books on device" to "processing" screen: 18 seconds.

Time spent on "processing" screen: 9 minutes. That's about eighty seconds spent processing each book.
You have a problem. I have a 1GB SanDisk card with about 500 books on it. This is 310 epubs and the rest are PDF. None have DRM on them. This card is used purely for testing. In the main memory I have about 164 books.

I put the card into my Glo for the first time since the last factory reset. I have had a card in recently that had two or three books on in. When I inserted the my testing card, it took less than 10 minutes to process them all. Unfortunately, I didn't time it, just put the card in and went an did something else for about ten minutes. Right now, I ejected the card, went to the library list and reinserted it. It took about 10 seconds before displaying the home screen. The processing screen was never displayed as all the books on it were already in the database. I ejected the card again, added four epubs to the card via the PC and put it into the Glo again. The total time to redisplay the home page, including the processing step, was less than 10 seconds.

I took the card out an put it into my Touch. This has 75 books in the main memory. Recognising the card took 10 seconds or so. Processing the card took a little less than 5 minutes. Ejecting the card and reinserting it took about 10 seconds to update the home screen. Then I ejected it and removed the four books I added above. Insert to home screen flash was about 15 seconds. Lastly, I ejected and put those four books back on, but in a different directory. When I inserted it, it took 25 seconds from insert to displaying the updated home screen.

With that as a comparison, it explains why I don't have a problem with this, but you do. The only issue I have is with the amount of time the devices take to see the card. The Glo is taking about five seconds, the Touch about 10 seconds.

But, as I said above, I think there is a problem for you. The most like explanation is that something is wrong with the database on your Touch. The simplest fix is to log out of you Kobo account on the device and then log in again. This removes the old database and creates a new empty one. Then it will add the books back in. Unfortunately, you lose the reading status of all the books. So, take a copy of the database first and try this. If it doesn't help, you can put the backup back on.

Other than that, two questions about what you are doing and seeing:

- Why are you powering off before removing/inserting the card? Do you power off when not reading and hence do this at that time? Or are you powering off to remove the card? It isn't needed. All the tests above are with a running device.

- On the "processing" screen, what happens with the percentage? Did it jump five or six times or something else?

We should also move to another thread for this. It isn't really a firmware request any more. Maybe a friendly mod can move these posts for us.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #483
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
With that as a comparison, it explains why I don't have a problem with this, but you do.
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
But, as I said above, I think there is a problem for you. The most like explanation is that something is wrong with the database on your Touch.
If you'll recall, that was my original theory: that the firmware wasn't properly handling database changes for my usage pattern, which primarily consists of adding books directly to the card without involving the device's USB cable.

Quote:
The simplest fix is to log out of you Kobo account on the device and then log in again. This removes the old database and creates a new empty one. Then it will add the books back in. Unfortunately, you lose the reading status of all the books. So, take a copy of the database first and try this. If it doesn't help, you can put the backup back on.
I'm doing that now, after completely backing up both the card and the device. Hopefully it'll finish processing while I finish replying.

Quote:
Why are you powering off before removing/inserting the card? Do you power off when not reading and hence do this at that time? Or are you powering off to remove the card? It isn't needed. All the tests above are with a running device.
Because (a) sometimes my device doesn't recognize a card insertion while it's turned on, and (b) I turn my device off when I'm not reading anyway.

Quote:
On the "processing" screen, what happens with the percentage? Did it jump five or six times or something else?
It started around 44% and increased in increments of a few points - pretty much as I'd expect, except for the length of time involved.

Quote:
It isn't really a firmware request any more. Maybe a friendly mod can move these posts for us.
If the firmware isn't properly maintaining the database, I'd consider that a serious firmware bug that should be fixed. I don't use sync software, I don't manually tinker with the database, I just copy books onto the card...so if the database is getting corrupted, what's to blame besides the firmware? And if you have to destroy the database and start from scratch every so often to avoid this kind of slowdown, how is that not a bug that needs to be fixed?

The reader's back up now, and it did rescan the card much more quickly. I'm syncing over wifi now, and then I'll see if it remembers any shelving data. (You mentioned losing reading stats; you didn't mention shelves...which I put a lot more effort into. After all, I only read one book at a time, but I've gotta FIND the next one when I'm done!) Either way, my next step will be to reshelve the books (if necessary) and then compare the new database to the old one. Even a basic size comparison should tell me something; the old one is just over 11 megs. (And why do I have 600+ image sets in .kobo/images/ for books I've never even SEEN?)

It did recover my wishlist info this time, anyway. I'd lost that during the 2.4.0 update, and that list is gone, but the new list I'd started is still here.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #484
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you'll recall, that was my original theory: that the firmware wasn't properly handling database changes for my usage pattern, which primarily consists of adding books directly to the card without involving the device's USB cable.
Which is a usage pattern that a lot of other people have. The database is almost definitely broken. The question is whether this is related to this usage pattern or something else. If the problem reoccurs after a while with the new database, then it seems likely it is. But, if it doesn't, then it probably was something else.
Quote:
Because (a) sometimes my device doesn't recognize a card insertion while it's turned on, and (b) I turn my device off when I'm not reading anyway.
OK. Other than a card that I have that was never recognised, the only times that I have had problems were when I slipped while inserting the card.
Quote:
It started around 44% and increased in increments of a few points - pretty much as I'd expect, except for the length of time involved.
That is a bit different. My experience is that the percentage starts at 9% and then jumps in roughly equal steps, one for each book. When I put the card in with 500 books earlier, it counted by ones. I just added 10 books and it climbed by about 9% each time.

It I read what you are saying correctly, you are seeing a lot more and smaller steps that I would expect for six books. That suggest some books are being added each time you start the device. That is another sign of a corrupt database. Changes made while using the device seem OK, but can't be written to the database correctly. When you power off, the changes are lost and the restart reads the unchanged database.
Quote:

If the firmware isn't properly maintaining the database, I'd consider that a serious firmware bug that should be fixed. I don't use sync software, I don't manually tinker with the database, I just copy books onto the card...so if the database is getting corrupted, what's to blame besides the firmware? And if you have to destroy the database and start from scratch every so often to avoid this kind of slowdown, how is that not a bug that needs to be fixed?
And I agree completely. My point was that this thread is about features people would like in the firmware that would improve the device. We are discussing a problem you are seeing on your device. The discussion would be much better in it's own thread.
Quote:

The reader's back up now, and it did rescan the card much more quickly. I'm syncing over wifi now, and then I'll see if it remembers any shelving data. (You mentioned losing reading stats; you didn't mention shelves...which I put a lot more effort into. After all, I only read one book at a time, but I've gotta FIND the next one when I'm done!) Either way, my next step will be to reshelve the books (if necessary)
Any shelves that were on the device the last time you synced with Kobo, will be recreated. Any kepubs that were on shelves will be put back. Information about the sideloaded books are not synced to Kobo, so they can't automatically be put back onto shelves.
Quote:
and then compare the new database to the old one. Even a basic size comparison should tell me something; the old one is just over 11 megs.
It depends on the problem. If the rows were being left in the database, then size will tell you something. If it was a corrupt table or index (my bet) then, the size will be roughly the same.
Quote:
(And why do I have 600+ image sets in .kobo/images/ for books I've never even SEEN?)
They are probably for recommendations plus a there are some non-cover images in the folder.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #485
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No kidding.

At one point, when I was playing with telnet/FTP to my Kobo, I had to trigger the USB disconnect to get it to update properly -- going by memory here -- by writing a usb device add and then a usb device remove string to a file on the Kobo. Without that trigger, new content was not properly handled.

I found a similar issue when adding content directly to a uSD card which had already been used with my Kobo. When I replaced an existing file with a newer version, it turned out be be an excellent way to corrupt the database -- been there, done that, got the factory resets to show for it.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-02-2013 at 11:02 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #486
FelineFeral
FelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura aboutFelineFeral has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura
If it's possible what I'd like to see are:
- better support for pdfs, they do not run very well.
- the ability to read books from iBooks.
FelineFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #487
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I found a similar issue when adding content directly to a uSD card which had already been used with my Kobo. When I replaced an existing file with a newer version, it turned out be be an excellent way to corrupt the database -- been there, done that, got the factory resets to show for it.
That could well be the issue here.

One more firmware bug to report, related to shelves...

If you go to your Library > Books list, select the "options" menu beside a book, and choose "Add to Shelf", the shelf creation dates are DD/MM/YYYY regardless of locale.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #488
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But Bob; I find it very hard to call this a bug when it only fails in a manner NOT intended by the developers. If on the other hand, setting location / time zone in the GUI had altered the locale at the O/S level, then I would agree that this is a bug.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #489
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
If you go to your Library > Books list, select the "options" menu beside a book, and choose "Add to Shelf", the shelf creation dates are DD/MM/YYYY regardless of locale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But Bob; I find it very hard to call this a bug when it only fails in a manner NOT intended by the developers.
I don't follow you here. I'm in the US, I get MM/DD/YYYY dates everywhere else on the reader (ie. last sync date/time, current date/time), but I get DD/MM/YYYY dates in this one context. How is that not a bug, and how does "in a manner NOT intended by the developers" figure in?

I didn't hack the reader and get a weird result; I used it as designed and saw a bug.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #490
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast
Don_Karnage began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360 , kobo glo
there is few point on my wishlist i would like to talk about for my kobo glo...
1st of all : Windows Explorer in details view ... so easy to manage.
2nd: when you read a pdf of image like manga , when you're zooming and you turn the pages , the zoom is down the page and not up ..... so you have to go up to start the pages , (i think it's because you cannot turn in all orientation as in cbz or cbr)
3rd: when you're zooming , the page should move faster than the finger like 3/1
4th: one option to load the last book on startup.
5th: if you change the orientation of the page while viewing a cbz or cbr , he dont recognize if he show you only the half page ...

Last edited by Don_Karnage; 03-13-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Don_Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #491
jclim00
Nameless Being

Please make footnotes actually useable. Tapping to select them causes a page turn at least half the time for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #492
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
Please make footnotes actually useable. Tapping to select them causes a page turn at least half the time for me.
I agree with you. Much more than half the time for me. It depends upon the book, but footnotes are nearly unreachable for some. And, as the device is so boringly slow, going to a footnote then coming back to your starting point is a hazardous adventure I seldom try.
I fear it would need a change in the epub format, but if footnotes were not included in the text, but considered metadata like the table of contents or the book summary?
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #493
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
A feature I would like to see in the table of contents is the page number where each chapter starts.
I don't know if I missed anything, but when reading a sideloaded ebook I don't know how far I am in a chapter. I might be a little on the OCD side here, but I like as much as I can to read until the end of a chapter before going to bed or starting doing something unrelated for a long time
On the Sony 650, it's easy to find (when the table of contents or the ebook is well formated). So far, no luck with the Kobo Mini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #494
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
A feature I would like to see in the table of contents is the page number where each chapter starts.
I don't know if I missed anything, but when reading a sideloaded ebook I don't know how far I am in a chapter. I might be a little on the OCD side here, but I like as much as I can to read until the end of a chapter before going to bed or starting doing something unrelated for a long time
On the Sony 650, it's easy to find (when the table of contents or the ebook is well formated). So far, no luck with the Kobo Mini.
Yes please, page numbers in TOC! I've wanted that for ages.

And also, I would like the status bar back. I know there is sort of one in kepubs, but you have to open the book menu, and then open another pop up menu. The status bar used to be right there in the bottom of the book menu with chapter markers and all, in both kepub and epub. Why take that away? I want it back please, I liked that bar.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #495
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
In the 1.9.x firmware, there was a bar with tick running across the bottom when the menus were displayed. This gave you an idea of where you were up to and how close to the end of the chapter you are.

What I do now is to bring up the navigation bar. Then I press the right double arrow to go to the next chapter and look at the page number. Then press the return to go back to my current spot. Subtract the page numbers and I know when the chapter ends.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo