Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think that if you are primarily interested in audio books, there are better devices to use than an ereader (smartphone, pda, etc).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I think that if you are primarily interested in audio books, there are better devices to use than an ereader (smartphone, pda, etc).
And then there is that. MP3 players are inexpensive enough that I would think an MP3 player for audio books and an e-reader for regular books would make sense to me. I can see why someone would want one device that does both though.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The Sony 650 is not set up for audiobooks at all -- there's no resume function, let alone bookmarking! Podcasts and short stories are pushing it.
I understand the Kindle handles self-bookmarking Audible files, but does it have bookmarking/resume for other types of books?
At any rate, audio drains the battery very fast (about 25% of capacity per hour).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #19
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
"about 25% of capacity per hour?"

Really... Are you saying that 3 weeks of battery is going to be drained in 4 hours if I read do audio books?! So the better way to go is just get a kindle and then a sansa fuze for audio books?!
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post

Really... Are you saying that 3 weeks of battery is going to be drained in 4 hours if I read do audio books?! So the better way to go is just get a kindle and then a sansa fuze for audio books?!
You're better off with an MP3 player for audiobooks and an ereader for ebooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #21
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figwit View Post
4gb is more than enough. Apparently it is equal to 3,500 books. No way most of us would have that many at once.
I wonder what books you all have.
Most of my PDFs are between 6 - 30MB. No way to copy 3500 of them to the Kindle. Pls note that i'm not talking about having a need to copy all of them. Just want to say that the number "3500" is nonsense without saying that each book need to be around 1 MB to fit.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. The number is probably an average of some sort. I would say that the Kindle holds more then enough books. I have over 400 books on my DXG and plenty of room left.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #24
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

The Epubs I have average about 1 - 1.5 MB each.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The Epubs I have average about 1 - 1.5 MB each.
Luckily current DXG firmware doesn't support ePub.

Well i know the ePub are mostly between 500-900KB.
When been said that memory lasts for 3000-4000 books sometimes it's mentioned that the size of a book should be ~500kb.

3GB available should be enough for me as all books are stored on my pc.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
My Sony 950's touch screen is not quite like on an Apple phone. You do need to tap repeatedly--at times. Other times it works quite well. Apple's devices work quite well all the time, every time.
I find I use the button to turn pages: more consistent.
I like the SD card option, and I'm slowly filling my SD card up.
But I'm thinking seriously about returning the Sony and getting a Kindle 3...
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #27
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
From what little I've seen of the Sony line in Youtube videos (and I have a favorable opinion of them), the 650 appears to have less need of repeated taps to command a task than the 950. But that's a very limited sample I've observed so I doubt the accuracy.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #28
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I wouldn't say repeated taps - the only times I'm aware of having to hit the screen repeatedly are to access footnotes with the stylus; they can be tough to get right the first time.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #29
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I agree that 4GB is enough for any library (roughly 4000+ books) but I also see that audio books chew up space.

In the end it is a valid complaint that the kindle is one of the only readers without an SD card expansion slot. I keep all of my books to read on my NOOKColor and all audio files on my SD cards. I swap out sd cards depending on what I am doing at the time (watching movies, listening to music, audio books, etc). That option is not available to the kindle user and though there may be other workable options for a particular user, it does definitely limit the device.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I had the K1 with expandable memory and a replaceable battery. I never used either. And the K1 only held 300 books.

If someone really loves audio books, an MP3 player is probably a better option for them then any of the e-readers.