Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
em56
em56 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not Sure Which One I Should Get

I was at best buy earlier, and saw some eReaders in person, and, well, now I want one... I didn't realize how cool the e-Ink format is. Although I liked the Kindle, I found it hard to do things on. I liked the Nook more, because it had the small touch screen at the bottom, and I noticed it had Sudoku on it too. Then there are also other kinds of readers out there... so I'm just overwhelmed

These are the things important to me:
- Ability to check out books thru library (Overdrive)
- Ability to read books from Google books (out of print etc.)
- Ability to convert my own text docs into a readable format for the device
- Ability to read PDF's
- Can play some simple games (sudoku and word games)
- E-ink screen
- Basic contrast and font size settings
- Ability to annotate text (make notes, underline/highlight, something to that effect)
- Built-in dictionary would be nice
- Can save my place in multiple books (can read more than one book without finishing the other)

and then.... ease of use, without compromising complexity

I am not concerned with the ability to purchase books, just the ability to read them and show them. I do not plan to be buying or purchasing books.

Best Buy has the Nook for $99 on black friday and I will already be there picking up something for a family member so it is not out of my way to get the Nook. However, I am not 1,000% sure it will fit all of my needs.

I would love some help Thanks!!

Last edited by em56; 11-22-2010 at 05:08 AM.
em56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I am wrestling with many of the same questions.

However, if "- Ability to annotate text (make notes, underline/highlight, something to that effect)" is important to you, I discovered a YouTube review that illustrates this in both the Nook and the K2 (I assume the K3 is equally capable).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxkCELCrQ_A

Skip over to around the 7:00 mark to save some time. The reviewer is notably Kindle skewed and one of the test items is bogus (TTS capability). Still, I found it a valuable data point. There's nothing like seeing the device in action to help determine usability.

Observing the issues the reviewer encounters on the Nook touchscreen illustrate for me one of the frustrations in dealing with TS devices. Although they seem to work reasonably well 90% of the time, that other 10% when they don't do anything when you tap Tap TAP the screen drives me nuts.

Last edited by speedlever; 11-22-2010 at 09:14 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you do away with the bit about the games, then the Sony Reader PRS-650 is a really good fit to all the other things you want. The touch screen is very nice. It uses Pearl and is just easy to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I agree with JSWolf, a Sony 350 / 650 would probably best fit your needs (except for the games. I do have Sudoku on my PRS-505 with the PRS+ software, but I don't think that the newer models have that ability.). You might also want to look into one of the new Pocketbook models.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would think that the Nook would work fine for you. It does everything that you list. The only advantage that the Sony would have is the better screen and it is suppose to be easier to take notes on. I would compare the Sony and the Nook at Best Buy. If the screen and note taking abilities are really important to you buy the Sony. If not, save yourself some money and buy the Nook.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The nook would be a lot nicer if it had a touch screen instead of the LCD screen.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook would be a lot nicer if it had a touch screen instead of the LCD screen.
I agree. Something about the Nook just never appealed to me.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never understood that choice. I am guessing they went that route because it was less expensive then a full touch screen option and because they had market research that said people really wanted to see their book covers in color.

I have read a decent number of posts where people are very interested in sorting and looking at their covers.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I never understood that choice. I am guessing they went that route because it was less expensive then a full touch screen option and because they had market research that said people really wanted to see their book covers in color.

I have read a decent number of posts where people are very interested in sorting and looking at their covers.
Well, I think back then the options for eink touch were touch layer or Wacom and neither are all that wonderful. But now there is IR thanks to Sony and that works really well.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

The 650 shows covers. Just not in color.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

You do realize we were discussing the Nook and its LCD touchscreen.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You do realize we were discussing the Nook and its LCD touchscreen.
When I did try the nook, I found the LCD screen to be somewhat counter-intuitive.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Same here. If I wanted a touch screen I would pay the extra money and get a Sony 950
Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
glazwegian
glazwegian is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color, Sony PRS-350(silver)
>There are plenty of other bookstores you can buy Mobi books that can be read on your Kindle.

Yes, but the operative word is "buy". em56 clearly stated a desire to be able to borrow & read eBooks from the library, which, if I'm not mistaken the Kindle cannot do. In fact, it is the primary reason I'll probably buy a Nook or Sony eReader. Don't get me wrong, I really like the size, weight and battery life, as well as 3G & wi-fi on the new Kindle, but a lack of ePub support is a deal breaker for me.
glazwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
>There are plenty of other bookstores you can buy Mobi books that can be read on your Kindle.

Yes, but the operative word is "buy". em56 clearly stated a desire to be able to borrow & read eBooks from the library, which, if I'm not mistaken the Kindle cannot do. In fact, it is the primary reason I'll probably buy a Nook or Sony eReader. Don't get me wrong, I really like the size, weight and battery life, as well as 3G & wi-fi on the new Kindle, but a lack of ePub support is a deal breaker for me.
Which is why I recommended the Nook. You are commenting on my signature.